Sign in to follow this  
Boxknife

Increased weapon sway when shot/bleeding

I would love to see some kind of penalty to getting shot. Too many times have I been in CQB and shoot an unsuspecting player only to have them be able to turn an angle and get an accurate shot off before they go down. It would be interesting to see a system where when shot the players weapon (for a short time) sways much more dramatically. I think this would be a nice way of rewarding players who play more methodical and take the time to set up ambushes, as well as making the game seem less like a twitch shooter. My 2 cents. Please add to the discussion if anyone has more ideas on the subject! 

Edited by Boxknife

Could add to the immersion, would prevent things like being instantly snapped to or turned on when someone else drops a shot on you first. Could also end up being very clunky and taking away more from the game than it adds, hope we get to try it at least :D 

I know this game tries to balance realism with fun. On the realism side of things, I'm not sure about OPs suggestion. When in CQB adrenaline is through the roof, so getting hit may not affect you for a few seconds. Things change obviously when you talk about a shot gun for example, which should always be a one-hitter quitter in CQB.

14 hours ago, MattersEnd said:

I know this game tries to balance realism with fun. On the realism side of things, I'm not sure about OPs suggestion. When in CQB adrenaline is through the roof, so getting hit may not affect you for a few seconds. Things change obviously when you talk about a shot gun for example, which should always be a one-hitter quitter in CQB.

Agreed. That was going through my head as I was posting this. I just want this game (personally) to feel less like a twitch shooter, and more of a tactical shooter, as it is. Even if adrenaline is going through, you get shot, its gonna fuck you up regardless. Maybe they could add in a adrenaline feature that ties in with stamina, suppression, and damage control. Similar to RO2, or MGS4 mental stability feature. 

Edited by Boxknife

I Believe the bootcamp series describe something like this. Where players that have been incapacitated will have sway penalties,  stamina penalties etc. 

It also describes a medical system Where you have to go to a high tier FOB to get rid of these penalties (this simulates switching a wounded soldier for a 'fresh' soldier)

20 hours ago, MattersEnd said:

You may not feel enough pain but you will feel weak if you are missing a chunk of your arm.

Edited by EcchiRevenge

You may not feel enough pain but you will feel weak if you are missing a chunk of your arm.

This game does not simulate body part damage at the moment. I don't think it needs to either as it would just make for a clunky experience. I think the natural adrenaline rush you feel when in game CQB situations is enough to simulate the craziness that is CQB. Also, in these situations it's the individuals skill that should control, not artificial simulators of body damage. Just my 2 cents.

19 minutes ago, MattersEnd said:

This game does not simulate body part damage at the moment. I don't think it needs to either as it would just make for a clunky experience. I think the natural adrenaline rush you feel when in game CQB situations is enough to simulate the craziness that is CQB. Also, in these situations it's the individuals skill that should control, not artificial simulators of body damage. Just my 2 cents.

Without much hinderance to shooting...etc. it's just going to turn into COD-esq "bloody screen so real." /s

Even Insurgency has players slowed down after getting shot for a short amount of time; maybe half the sensitivity(or cap the maximum speed someone can turn) if shot, for 1-2 seconds after getting shot?

Because, as far as I can tell, getting shot once doesn't do much other than bloodyscreen.

Edited by EcchiRevenge

So you think the current system is COD like? What game are you playing?

This game cannot be like COD bc COD is not defined solely by its shooting mechanics, but the also the way the player interacts with the environment. The maps are small and you know you are going to engage someone every 5-10 seconds and die very often. This creates a completely different dynamic which in turn causes players to play the game a certain way, I.e. Twitch gameplay mechanics. You are always hyped about the next kill.

Squad is way different and the dynamic it creates does not lend itself to the same gameplay, which is why in its current state, even without all of the damage simulation systems you propose and even without any "hindrance to shooting" as you say, it's still not even anywhere remotely close to COD.

6 minutes ago, MattersEnd said:

So you think the current system is COD like? What game are you playing?

This game cannot be like COD bc COD is not defined solely by its shooting mechanics, but the also the way the player interacts with the environment. The maps are small and you know you are going to engage someone every 5-10 seconds and die very often. This creates a completely different dynamic which in turn causes players to play the game a certain way, I.e. Twitch gameplay mechanics. You are always hyped about the next kill.

Squad is way different and the dynamic it creates does not lend itself to the same gameplay, which is why in its current state, even without all of the damage simulation systems you propose and even without any "hindrance to shooting" as you say, it's still not even anywhere remotely close to COD.

I was referring to what happens when you take damage.

It's just a bloody-screen, which COD also has.

Being able to run around like nothing happened(aside from bloody-screen) is also what happens in COD.

Thus COD-esq. in that specific part of gameplay.

It becomes different only when COD lets you regen health very fast, while you have to go patch up slowly in Squad.

Edited by EcchiRevenge

Devs already have plans in the pipeline for this kind of stuff, don't worry.

(dev response on second page)

There's more discussions like this if you search as well.

Please don't argue about the COD-ness of the game, it's not a good discussion. Yes, getting shot and being minimally affected is in both COD and Squad, but it's also in 90% of other games; Squads not even finished, so it will be here soon.

Edited by Mumble

6 minutes ago, Mumble said:

Please don't argue about the COD-ness of the game, it's not a good discussion. Yes, getting shot and being minimally affected is in both COD and Squad, but it's also in 90% of other games; Squads not even finished, so it will be here soon.

That's the point of suggestions BEFORE Squad is finished so game doesn't turn out badly.

You should never use "it's not finished" as excuse in attempt to stop discussion on any part of the game.

That's the point of Early Access...to try out stuff that may or may not work(such as up to 50% movement speed reduction scaling with health percentage).

Edited by EcchiRevenge

It's already been suggested though. And then suggested again. And then suggested again. The "suggestion" part only works when the developers don't know about it.

1 minute ago, Mumble said:

It's already been suggested though. And then suggested again. And then suggested again. The "suggestion" part only works when the developers don't know about it.

You can't blame the players if there isn't a "already suggested" thread like PR... (this is also not the same suggestion: the OP suggested more sway...etc. so people can't return shot as effectively, not movement speed)

Effect after getting shot isn't like FastRopes.

Edited by EcchiRevenge

Forum FAQ

Reddit List of Confirmed Features

Forum Search Function

There are plenty of ways to see if a feature has already been suggested. Yes, it would be nice if they moved the reddit list to the forums as well. And I know that the discussion I linked wasn't the exact same topic, it was just the first one that came up on my search. There's more like it.

I admit I first had the same thought, especially when thinking of the value of suppressing an enemy.
Distort vision, blurry, offset, whatever fancy visual feature...

But then I read through the following posts and I think it is not the issue of making the vision blurry or pass some handicap to the player being shot at first. Now I haven't been fired at with live ammunition, which I surely do not miss. I can relate to my downhill MTB riding ;)
I remember few moments where it was about to hit the fan, and all of a sudden vision becomes even more clear and your mind sharpens in the momentum. I would perhaps have had some serious broken bones if my vision would have turned blurry or my ability to handle the handlebar would have had a loss.

So, I would rather support the idea of giving the guy getting engaged a better chance to liberate himself from that situation. Make him be able to run faster for a few seconds, make the vision a bit brighter to "intensify" the immersion, make the sound more crisp for a few seconds.
In the end, if you are able to set up a ambush to flank or fall on the enemy from behind, you do have a pretty damn good advantage, including the element of surprise. Now if you are a lousy shot, why should that be the issue of your enemy, who might not be? ;)
Only thing where I could see a distortion for real, is when you are close by a detonation of any sorts. Make the virtual ear a bit deaf, perhaps even add a slight tinnitus effect.

Yeah that were my ideas for it.

Edited by Scum

I agree - there should absolutely be a large flinch with each hit received and moderate weapon sway until bandaged.

PLEASE implement this above most other requests as this is truly unrealistic and dramatically would improve game play.

Go to 1:17 for the hit animations, no game has done this better than Red River, not only in third person but also in first person view your weapon dropped forward as you flinched and you could not aim for 1 second as your rifle re-centered.  This is needed in Squad.