snoob

map open all the time? All of us? [minimap]

I find my map open 75% of the time. I'm constantly fumbling with the zoom level and poping it up and down.

Why?! At what point can we conceed that a minimap would help us all from getting carpel tunnel (worse), and help with the situational awareness.

I've seen others suggest the STHUD or similar mechanics, and I have to wonder why people think a direct minimap would be a bad thing. We all have our maps open most of the time anyway.

Anybody with me? Fight for your right, to view the game without a map overlay! Medics were you at?! Lemme hear ya holler if your left index is tired of juggling zoom and map! :)

Hey Snoob. 

Our future design in HUD and indicators is largely going to be designed around less map opening (for example getting localized incap indicators on your compass)

Long term the map will need to be used a lot more intentionally not just snapped open every 2 seconds. 

I get the need for more info but she is a subtle game of HUD clutter vs fog of war. 

Honestly I agree and can't wait to see what you dev's have up your sleeve to help alleviate this issue!

My map also gets snapped up constantly causing a lot of trade kills and or plain deaths. Missing enemies crossing in distances ect.
Large Scale Situation Awareness overall the map is great how it is now. But for the small scale awareness it just is not cutting it!

Thanks, cA|ErRoR

54 minutes ago, cA.ErRoR said:

Honestly I agree and can't wait to see what you dev's have up your sleeve to help alleviate this issue!

My map also gets snapped up constantly causing a lot of trade kills and or plain deaths. Missing enemies crossing in distances ect.
Large Scale Situation Awareness overall the map is great how it is now. But for the small scale awareness it just is not cutting it!

Thanks, cA|ErRoR

Just zoom in all the way. :P

Personally,i don't like minimaps at all. That's one of the reasons i played battlefield only in hardcore. Where is the fun, when you got every information you need in a small map, or on a extra monitor? There is no need to use your brain anymore, just look on the minimap and run and gun.

Take a step back, get in cover, read the map and think about, what to do next.

3 hours ago, Planetgong said:

Personally,i don't like minimaps at all. That's one of the reasons i played battlefield only in hardcore. Where is the fun, when you got every information you need in a small map, or on a extra monitor? There is no need to use your brain anymore, just look on the minimap and run and gun.

Take a step back, get in cover, read the map and think about, what to do next.

I think its disingenuous to say you don't use your brain anymore. Its the same information displayed on the map, but displayed in a small area off to the side so you can see it at all times. I didn't play hardcore not to see the map, I played hardcore so there was no spotting system, cover and concealment were my thing. I think it could be done in a way that you don't give everyone a targeting system, yet can see  your squadmates in relation to you (good for knowing spacing and setting up a flank), objectives, and a better grasp on the compass. Situational awareness and map awareness are game play elements that exist if there is a map, regardless of the map being up all the time or not. Most high tier players MUST feel me on this, I mean watch bluedrake's squad footage, then watch his PR footage. the use of the map only becomes more inherit to the design as more of these core concepts and mechanics come into play. Better yet, watch some team squad matches ;)

Maybe this is a more of an outsider stance to take, seeing how I'm new to the community, squad - and therefore PR, and also I play with no teams or clans or groups, I only experience this game in a pubbie environment.

7 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Hey Snoob. 

Our future design in HUD and indicators is largely going to be designed around less map opening (for example getting localized incap indicators on your compass)

Long term the map will need to be used a lot more intentionally not just snapped open every 2 seconds. 

I get the need for more info but she is a subtle game of HUD clutter vs fog of war. 

as eye ron taxi says, and in line with all the other cute little droppings from other developers so far:

placeholder functionality - they installed what they knew first, the players get their hands on it and they get to start tracking what WE do as we play, while iterating on their design. Other words to use might be simplifying, streamlining...

Simply put - this is really good news!one

I think Minimap should be available for Squad League Casters and that's it.

It helps to Game Caster quickly reference squad movement and engagements and give the audience the bigger picture on the battlefield.

Sorry for offending you. This wasn't my intention. But i still believe a minimap is not necessary.

+1

I think the map in it's current iteration is perfect. It really is a skill to use/open at the right time, and reading it is a skill as well. Having a minimap is further dumbing down the game towards run n gun gaming. 

No thank you

27 minutes ago, BLITZA said:

I think the map in it's current iteration is perfect. It really is a skill to use/open at the right time, and reading it is a skill as well. Having a minimap is further dumbing down the game towards run n gun gaming. 

No thank you

Such skill pressing M, forgetting everything and pressing it again 5s later.

Just now, banOkay said:

Such skill pressing M, forgetting everything and pressing it again 5s later.

Press it when the enemy is pushing you. See how you feel then.

Timing is everything. Spamming it 24/7 will get you into trouble.

Just now, BLITZA said:

Press it when the enemy is pushing you. See how you feel then.

Timing is everything. Spamming it 24/7 will get you into trouble.

Same thing as in PR, can't ever tell where my squad mates are exactly during an engagement without having to open it. It's being used the same as a minimap, except people can talk about their game being hardcore because of minimalistic HUD (ignore the map taking over your whole screen) and their immersion because of no minimap (again, ignore the map taking over your whole screen).

6 minutes ago, banOkay said:

Same thing as in PR, can't ever tell where my squad mates are exactly during an engagement without having to open it. It's being used the same as a minimap, except people can talk about their game being hardcore because of minimalistic HUD (ignore the map taking over your whole screen) and their immersion because of no minimap (again, ignore the map taking over your whole screen).

No the difference between a minimap and the map we have is the fact that you have to open it and it takes up your whole screen. Not some little square you can snap a millisecond look at and know where your squad is (to a certain degree - distance etc).

As a squad leader trying to ensure squad placement etc, my map is open with me staying behind cover/prone is the most use it gets.

The current mechanic helps prevent people running, having instant access to the map (minimap) and gunning. (COD, Battlefield etc).

In top games, if you're running and gunning, and spamming your map. You will not be effective, and more than likely be dropped while looking at it. Why? Coz this isn't how we are supposed to be playing the game

Note: "top games" is not pub games we are seeing today. Coz it is very easy to run n gun atm with the way people are playing the game

Hi, didn't want to open a new topic on minimaps so here's my view:

I'd like to see minimaps in vehicles like they put it into the v16 choppers on testserver... Maybe with a little bit more to see, like fob markers and waypoints for better pathfinding; without the need for having the map open at all times, which blocks half the screen... 

For infantry it's fine to open up the map from time to time... 

What would he really nice is a mine Warner next to the Navi that flashes red when being 50m close to a friendly mine... 

Edited by Uelz
Idea about minewarner

I put my map on mouse 3 and role selection style map on mouse 4. It gives a very smooth transition from combat to coordinating/orientating. Try it.

Edited by Pharanaiton

I often find that people dont use it enough, and 10 times people walk past a body, caling friendly vics as enemy, same with friandly fire, "WHERE IS THE AMMO CRATE" ect.... Medics and SL could have a small one like a gps thing, but rest need to just learn to take their time to use the map correctly. 

I dont hope it gets like a default minimap. Might aswell have hit indicator ff of ect.. 

Map markers can sometimes allso be way too much, "SL PLACE ENEMY MARKER HERE AND THERE" result is markers where enemys ones where. "ENEMYS 240 FROM MY BODY SL.... SSLLLL..!? SLLLLLLL YOU COPY.?" Classic yes;-)