Ziggy

Anyone feel overwhelmed as a medic?

I kind of feel the new map icons have made the medic class really overwhelming, maybe it's just me but it kind of seems harder to manage multiple downed soliders now and also no one seems to give a position now, just yelling medic on me... I know the game is WIP etc but i think the downed player icons have a negative effect on the medic class. I know this has been discussed in the update thread but I think it deserves its own topic :)

I died so much last night trying to reach players miles from where I was! Need to try and ignore the map icons maybe..

I kinda agree. I think the feature in itself is okey, but it's another thing that makes it easier for squads not to communicate. Squadmembers can just lay down and wait. I think this game needs incentive to talk, not features that makes talking unesseccary. This medic feature also lessens the requirement for SL to SL communication as well, because medic can easily see from across the map that a squad is getting overrun. 

I think the less people feel they need to communicate, the less they will communicate :)

Maybe if you instead of showing the symbols on the map automatically,  you can let the other alive squad members mark the downed persons marker as down? 

The way it was before was spot on, direct chat to guide in a medic close by. Being able to see 20 downed players at once is just too much and your right, a medic can now track the position of advancing enemies by looking at the pattern of flashing map icons..

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

[...] a medic can now track the position of advancing enemies by looking at the pattern of flashing map icons..

This is probably one of the biggest problems with the current system. But I also understand the devs' viewpoint that when the icons are in place, the radio doesn't get so cluttered with all the medic-related chatter. But maybe there should be an incentive for the players not to get shot so often so as to remove the dire need of constantly calling for medics. One way to achieve this would be to remove the map icons of the injured soldiers.

The medic role has changed with the new update. As a medic I'm letting my SL know "Squad 3 just got wiped."

I like the idea of visual indicators, but the flashing probably adds to the sense of being overwhelmed. Flashing stuff usually means DO THIS NOW!!!

Hey Ziggy I was just in a game with you I think. Yep the large icons covering everything up really just makes everything harder. When I can't zoom in enough to see where I am let alone where anyone else really is that's a problem. 

I use the red dots on my compass and the map.. keep switching back & forth but the truth is it's harder to find someone laying on the ground in the game than it is in real life. That's a problem OWI will have to fix. They've missed the mark with this update but I think they are on the right track. Giving the medic information is a great idea, they just need to make these icons tiny. Flashing red.... or just solid red for down... that's all I need. 

49 minutes ago, RaTzo said:

Hey Ziggy I was just in a game with you I think. Yep the large icons covering everything up really just makes everything harder. When I can't zoom in enough to see where I am let alone where anyone else really is that's a problem. 

I use the red dots on my compass and the map.. keep switching back & forth but the truth is it's harder to find someone laying on the ground in the game than it is in real life. That's a problem OWI will have to fix. They've missed the mark with this update but I think they are on the right track. Giving the medic information is a great idea, they just need to make these icons tiny. Flashing red.... or just solid red for down... that's all I need. 

Hey dude I wasn't on tonight my in game name is Zigwold :)

I agree, just small solid red dots for your squad only would be good for me, or none at all but give you a medic radio channel for your squad?

Edited by Ziggy

On the map screen you should have separate tabs, first tab is all team icons on the map, second tab is your squad only and third tab should be wounded players for medics. We can decide which tab we want to use while playing or switch back and forth. The map stays the same, only thing added will be tabs to choose who you see.

Just showing your own squad being incap on the map would minimize the Intel part of it, others down could still show up in the hud. Or limit by distance. 

A medic call button and flashing icon would cut down on chatter, I for one hate to clutter up coms with "I'm down"  'I'm still down" "hey medic, can you get to me?" on and on. 

Edited by LugNut

Hi Ziggy, thanks for your post. I like the medic system the way it is for now bro. Once you've played more and find good teams to hang with, you'll find squad mates who do appreciate the medic, who will cover you when you punch that time card and in some cases, bandage their own downed team mate before you get to him.

A Squad that works together lives together...and i do like that idea of a medic channel. Medic to medic comms like SL could work.

:D

As a frequent medic, I like the new changes.  It is very useful to know who is downed on the whole team at a glance.  Perhaps your squadmates use the new icons and other team members just show as red?

I believe when/if other players can drag or carry wounded soldiers, the medics will feel less overwhelmed.  Also, giving some indicators to other players if a downed player needs to be bandaged would be a great help to the medics.  (Of course fixing the whole, downed soldiers are underground or get revived 20 feet away woul help too)

I play medic almost exclusively unless i'm in a lower pop server because AMD. So I have some input on this.

1. Teammates need to be able to ping the medic when down (ONCE)- and visually be told that the medic has been pinged. This would prevent everyone yelling MEDIC repeatedly expecting better results. IE: A notification area when downed that says the closest squad's medic & if he has accepted your ping, maybe even a queuing system for the pings. The UI must accomodate for medics and their victims. I feel like a headless chicken looking for certain squad members on coms, and trying to coordinate that with the map system.

*Oh and most importantly a medic should be able to deny a revive and that medic is now unable to be pinged. The medic needs help showing people when respawning is good, and when waiting is good. This is already sort of our job, however most people don't listen. A visual cue would help here.

This would alleviate alot of stress of being medic. With the new UI I find it nearly impossible to find downed squad mates efficiently, and the fact that all players show a bleeding status pointless. It would behoove you to bandage yourself and your downed mates if you know a medic is incoming, it takes him half the time and helps ensure his survival. - SWITCHING FROM BIG BAG TO BANDAIDS TAKES AWHILE-

(seriously, it takes a medic 1 second to revive a patched soldier, and about 5 to 8 to revive a non patched soldier - IF you didn't fumble your kit or your kit's last use was the other piece of kit). ((revived = mobile))

2. Medic's BINOS should be able to mark locations on the map for the squad and SL to see. I'm sure this was in PR, and even bf1942, so I'm sure its planned to an extent, but this needs to extend to medic, have a long cool down or something so people can't abuse it.

3.Seperate Medic kit in inventory. This one is huge, seperate the 2 pieces of gear required to revive. That way i'll always go to the piece of kit required for the job and not fumble for what feels like the longest switch animation ever devised.

4. Give medics quicker switch time to secondary weapon. I can't tell you how many times i've desperately tried to weapon switch while using medic gear. The kit itself is gimped due to weaker weapons, higher dropoff, and inaccuracy (some kits more than others). Medic should be able to rip a secondary weapon out faster, but still carry the same magazine count. This would make the kit *IMO* more fun and rewarding without really making medics powerful. I'm tired of hiding and waiting for my riflemen to ignore, leave, and fail me. To heal and heal and finally when everyone is just about up a guy strolls over a hill and pops us both cuz rifleman can't look. Of course I DID, but my kit switch animation already triggered so thats an additional 5 seconds before I get a weapon out.

5. Treat medics as a higher rank - medics should be considered *almost* as important as SLs. I feel like the game should promote it like this:

SLs follow Commander

Medics follow SLs

Riflemen follow Medics

vs. IRL

SLs argue w/ other SLs

Medics attempt to keep up w/ SL who is aruging

Rifleman play DM

1 obligatory designated marksman who is half a map away.

Edited by snoob

It is alot of fun when your squad is seasoned and knows whats going on, I'll give you that.

I AM the smoke wall!

On March 28, 2016 at 11:39 PM, LugNut said:

Just showing your own squad being incap on the map would minimize the Intel part of it, others down could still show up in the hud. Or limit by distance. 

A medic call button and flashing icon would cut down on chatter, I for one hate to clutter up coms with "I'm down"  'I'm still down" "hey medic, can you get to me?" on and on. 

Maybe there could be a function in the incapacitated screen for a player to "call medic" and that would generate a request on the medic's map. The medic would be given an audio que and when he checked his map he could click on the flashing player icon to say "I'm coming!" or "Can't get to you." If the medic is on the way then the player would get a notification telling him so. If the medic dies, or changes the selection to "can't get to you" the incapacitated player would be notified that the medic is no longer coming. 

This may not be "realistic" but it SURE would be better than the endless streams of "Medic" only to have the person's name immediately disappear requiring me to ask "Who asked for a medic and where are you?" Over and over and over again.... 

agree medic map icons need work. Cant tell which incap. are squad, cant even see SL if they are bleeding.

I think the icons should all have some transparency, squad members need to be clearly indicated at all times.

The way you can tell where players are being wiped on the map feels like an exploit.

Thanks for the "headlights" effect on the main player icon, it doesnt really fit the design of the arrow but at least it is usable now.

I play medic every other round, I like the role.

A nice thing to get used to is communicate back when called for and be the boss. i.e hold on mate i'm coming, or respawn I cant get to you and even can someone bandage XYZ please and cover - I am coming over but busy right now.

These three things make a big difference, if the Squad is receptive to communications.

Otherwise, I change squad.

I tried to relay to my team mates last night to give me rough position  of where they are if they need help..  i.e need a revive g8kp8 or west wall of the cap etc... But no just lots of shouts for 'medic on me' well I don't know who 'me' is or where you are lol

If you're in a hurry you can always "quick revive" your squaddies where you simply get them up (they leave for cover) and you can keep doing your thing.

14 minutes ago, Raklödder said:

If you're in a hurry you can always "quick revive" your squaddies meaning you simply get them up (they leave for cover) and you can keep doing your thing.

This is where medic comms would be great, you could triage the downed guys with your other medic in your squad with out cluttering up the squad chat

Quick question so I am getting this right.

It would behoove you to bandage yourself and your downed mates if you know a medic is incoming, 

Can non-medic squadmates use their own bandage to bandage their downed squadmates?

Edited by DanMo