Surfcandy

Squad Leader

I am a new player . I like the game. I've played several games and am still learning. I have to say there are way to many players who are squad leaders and don't do anything for the squad. It really is sad when I am playing for an evening and 80% of the games I log into the squad I am on is everybody is doing whatever they want. It ruins my immersion. I don't know enough yet to be an effective squad leader and don't even know if I even want to be one but those that are please take it seriously and work with the squad and don't create arcade style game play. 

If you want to do something to keep players together and accomplish game tasks, you are already better Squad Leader than those who you mentioned. Don't be afraid, take the command and try, learn and you will succeed. Good luck, welcome to the community!

That can be a problem!! I've been playing squad since last june, I've come across a lot of bad SL's!!! 

And when there's an update you get all the part time players come on for a few weeks, but keep with it there's still lots of brilliant SL's out there 

I've got a clan and play with them 95% of time on public servers and when we're playing clan v clan that's where squad at its best!! Join a clan but choose the right one for you! 

If you ever want to try and learn through experiences, I have a youtube channel where I exclusively play Squad Leader and you can kind of get an idea about what a squad leader should be thinking or doing. 

No one should pick up Squad Leader till they know the mechanics of the game mode. BASICS.

Too many players diving straight into SL position coz either they think they can do it or they have a big ego. 

Also, one persons standards are another person's goals. Varying standards of squad leaders out there, some are ok, some are good and some are excellent. We should all strive to improve and ensure the standards of gameplay don't keep slipping like they are doing currently.

Learn the game, drop the ego (until you can back it up) and communicate.

Note: I am speaking figuratively. Not aimed at anyone.

2 hours ago, karmakut said:

If you ever want to try and learn through experiences, I have a youtube channel where I exclusively play Squad Leader and you can kind of get an idea about what a squad leader should be thinking or doing. 

This could be a very helpful series. Good SLs are what Squad needs most. 

The War Academy is also pretty close to finishing its Basic Squad Leading course, which goes through squad management, inter-squad communication, and basic strategy.

5 hours ago, RaTzo said:

This could be a very helpful series. Good SLs are what Squad needs most. 

Problem I've noticed the last few weeks playing is that people in squad aren't listening to either me or their SL if I'm not it.  Sometimes following orders and doing what you're told makes the squad and SL look good.  People are still trying to play this game as if it were Battlefield.  NEW FLASH:  It isn't Battlefield!

Building on what BLISTA said before,

17 hours ago, BLITZA said:

No one should pick up Squad Leader till they know the mechanics of the game mode. BASICS.

Too many players diving straight into SL position coz either they think they can do it or they have a big ego. 

Also, one persons standards are another person's goals. Varying standards of squad leaders out there, some are ok, some are good and some are excellent. We should all strive to improve and ensure the standards of gameplay don't keep slipping like they are doing currently.

You can see pretty quickly the skill level and leadership style they use and if you should leave it and find someone else to join. Toxic SL's do exist and will always exist, it's unfortunately the nature of the game and the internet. However, there are good and fantastic SL's out there too, just gotta be lucky and jump in with them if you find one on. But on the flip side of that, sometimes it's not necessarily the SL that's causing issues, it can also be someone in the Squad that is just as guilty. Backseat SL'ing, a holier than thou attitude and generally toxic squadmates are good examples of this and personal pet peeves of mine. 

Traditionally, the more time in they've had and the more veteran SL's are, the more approachable and friendly they will be. My fellow CPA OG SL's who understand the meta in Squad are for the most part more approachable and easier to work with as opposed to a brand new fresh of the block SL who doesn't quite understand what he's doing and how to do it with strangers. 

Edited by DocEast

Could always just join a clan. Plenty of clans recruit brand new players and help them learn.

But ya listen to DocEast and Blitza

Yea, i'm thinking that as well Chaggy, seems like if one could find just a handful of dudes to play with it can negate most of the problems with bad SL, young squealers and all the people that like to hear their own voice.

22 hours ago, BLITZA said:

Learn the game, drop the ego (until you can back it up) and communicate.

Note: I am speaking figuratively. Not aimed at anyone.

True that. I've been doing SL's the last couple of months and I still learn every, yes every game I play.

How I go about. How I comm with intra squad. How I comm with SL's.

It's all a mixture of the above mentioned. They only thing I'm quite strict about is that you move with Squad and stick with Squad. If you think you can take a kit and wander of on your own, your wrong.

But that's my playstyle, my way of doing. Some people like it some don't. But I communicate at the start of the round and if you don't your free to hop to another Squad.

20 hours ago, Iron said:

Problem I've noticed the last few weeks playing is that people in squad aren't listening to either me or their SL if I'm not it.  Sometimes following orders and doing what you're told makes the squad and SL look good.  People are still trying to play this game as if it were Battlefield.  NEW FLASH:  It isn't Battlefield!

Dude find me on line. I'll listen! I'm starved for SLs who will have some kind of plan and some kind of intention of making it happen. Squad has the potential to be the best game I've ever played but it takes me an hour to find a good SL any time I login and that really cramps my game time. *crying*

1 hour ago, RaTzo said:

Dude find me on line. I'll listen! I'm starved for SLs who will have some kind of plan and some kind of intention of making it happen. Squad has the potential to be the best game I've ever played but it takes me an hour to find a good SL any time I login and that really cramps my game time. *crying*

Dude it's hard for me to find anyone from the early days.  So many servers........ >.<

LoL!  

15 minutes ago, Iron said:

Dude it's hard for me to find anyone from the early days.  So many servers........ >.<

LoL!  

Add me on Steam. 

As a SL'dr I repeat my orders several times so that way everyone has knowledge of what the orders are, then I ask anyone "do you have any questions", then we complete the task then off to another, I issue the orders; repeat my orders several times then assemble my troops then repeat the orders one last time before entering into chaos again until the round is over....... You have to command the respect if your going to issue the orders and if someone doesn't want to listen then as SL you have the option to kick the players or deal with a lonewolf and an rambo..... I never have kicked anyone from my squad because, instead I chose to work with them and give them some goals to set like; go provide over watch or send that person to capture the objective. I have seen allot of people not adapt to these new maps and keep using the same play book over and over again when it is teaching some players bad habits. For example, I used to be against building fobs because I wanted to conserve tickets and thought my best use would be attacking the next objective..that worked until they changed the maps and the ticket bleed system..........now you have to place several fobs and if your smart enough you can place a rally point to warn you of enemy troops near where you placed fob........See how complicated things can get when you have a battle raging and the sheister hits the fan, this is what separates the followers from the leaders ...........it all takes its toll and can be very overwhelming for those who cannot adapt to the change...............As a SL you are writing the script as you go along, you have to anticipate, plan, prepare, communicate and last take action all within a matter of seconds,  if your an aggressive SL and like to rush forward that is good but remember; if you cannot be revived then what good are you....you have X, you have Y now what is equal to Z........the largest learning curve is learning to where to find your answers and the answer to Z may be troublesome to figure out.....

We don't have access to drones, we don't have access to a large database of information, all we have is a map of the objective/terrain and the players to let us know what the answer to Z might be......If you want to be a functional SL you must be able to take the information available from the most sources you can and paint a picture in your mind of the virtual battle space unfolding on your map...You have to carefully place your team in that space at the right time and have a back up plan ready to use in case things don't go as planned......Never as a SL build a fob and forget to put ammo close to the objective, a good SL will make sure Medics have bandages and players have ammo..I cannot stress how important a SL'drs role is when it comes to pushing the ammo as close to the enemy lines is as possible...Command your team with enthusiasm, never be too quiet as your team may catch on that you are ill prepared and have no course of action....remember we have followers under us and those who cannot lead who choose to SL, if you cannot play the leadership role then kindly give it up..........Leaders are not born, they are made and no one can teach you leadership skills without providing you with some painful lessons, those who try to coach you into joining a clan is trying to make you become a follower...We want leaders in the making of this game not followers.......yes the answer to Z will be a painful lesson for those who choose it; it isn't easy being SL because we all want to win..we all have that winning spirit in us and sometimes no matter how hard we try we still failed..........No one is going to teach you to be a leader, no class, no videos, not even a million dollars will teach you the fundamentals of being a leader.......

So now we have the million dollar question, what does it take to be a good leader....for starters accepting the SL role, listening to the feedback from your squad...communicating with the other squads........attack formations....then execute your plan......make mistakes and learn from them......sometimes you may need to lead from the rear and send everyone else to their deaths.......remember if SL goes down your stuck out there and if your SL wasn't coordinating with another squad nearby then how will your SL place down rally points if a Medic cannot get to him, now you've wasted time and time is not your friend and time is not on your side......I will plainly say this, if your diplomatic skills are poor then you will fail at being a SL'dr...this is a plain fact I have seen in many of my 280+ hours into this game........Only option if your following a bad SL'dr is finding a new one, or go make your own squad, don't argue your fact amongst the squad as this only causes divisions in the ranks so go make yourself useful and do what you do best..............

No one can teach you to be a leader.......if they tell you any different they are a fake and want you to follow them.........leadership skills takes time, an effort must be made (diplomacy) and mistakes (actions) must be made to build character that only one person can build and that person is yourself..............

You think it's bad having an SL that does nothing and doesn't comm? Try being a SL and having to deal with 2 or 3 other SL's who won't comm or don't have a clue... lol HOLY POOP it's aggravating. I comm with my peeps right away, then set up plans with the other SL's, provided they're talking. Half the time they don't have a plan and I direct them myself. Sometimes my plan goes to shit and I have to improvise and it doesn't always work. When everyone is working together it's quite an amazing sight though. It certainly helps being part of a team or "clan". If I'm no SL I can rest assured that one of the other guys will do a great job.