Jump to content
BabylonCome

Reserve Slot - Change Request

Recommended Posts

The new reserve slot mechanism appears not to be working. We have set our server for 2 reserve slots so admins can join, but it still holds the server at 70 slots (from 72). This has proven a problem already with senior admins not being able to join without a junior admin kicking. This is not very good when we have hackers on the server and a senior admin needs to join quickly.

What needs to happen is when 2 reserve slots join, it auto kicks 2 players allowing a further 2 reserve slots, so that there is always room for admins to join. This would mean our server never gets above 70 but we would rather have the ability for an senior admin to join quickly if required rather than waiting for a junior admin to find and kick players to make room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone?

There is ZERO info on how the reserve slot works in v.5 in this forum. We are in the dark. Senior Admins on our server cannot get on? How do they work and what was the problem with the previous system?

Hope we are not being ignorant and have missed something obvious...

We had a hacker today and the admin had to wait to get in the server, he is on the reserve list. No other reserved member of our community was on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we will take a look but that is not how reserved slots are intended. If you have a 72 player server and you set 2 reserved slots then the server is 70/70 (2) and you will have to have the reserve permission to join those 2 extra slots. It will not just randomly kick people when you try to join

EDIT:

Also reserved slots are not intended for A5. We removed a bug that allowed anyone with any admin permission to bypass the max server slot count to let admins in. This was fixed and why you are now noticing admins cannot join full servers. We will look into the possibility of adding it in for a patch but i'm not certain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Spectral said:

we will take a look but that is not how reserved slots are intended. If you have a 72 player server and you set 2 reserved slots then the server is 70/70 (2) and you will have to have the reserve permission to join those 2 extra slots. It will not just randomly kick people when you try to join

EDIT:

Also reserved slots are not intended for A5. We removed a bug that allowed anyone with any admin permission to bypass the max server slot count to let admins in. This was fixed and why you are now noticing admins cannot join full servers. We will look into the possibility of adding it in for a patch but i'm not certain.

LOL - What?

Without RCON access, the only way for admins to be able to admin the server (and therefore uphold the new license agreement we all had to sign) is to be able to join the server. How do you reconcile this?

We absolutely need a way for admins to join a full server, and the sooner the better. Can someone please take another look at this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep i agree,today on mine server there was no admins and we had 2 reserved slots filled up???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Spectral said:

We removed a bug that allowed anyone with any admin permission to bypass the max server slot count to let admins in. This was fixed and why you are now noticing admins cannot join full servers. We will look into the possibility of adding it in for a patch but i'm not certain.

I thought it was a feature and how it was meant to work. One of the main things I liked about Squad for admining is the actual possibility for admins to join full servers for emergencies while still being able to hold 72 players servers for players.

Edit: IMO... Without RCON access this is how it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a temp fix try adding admins with reserved slot permission to the GameUserSettings.ini file as MemberList.

 

So it would be

[SquadOnlineSessionSettings]
Member=123456
+Member=3427972

You may need to do it without the +.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Krunch said:

I thought it was a feature and how it was meant to work. One of the main things I liked about Squad for admining is the actual possibility for admins to join full servers for emergencies while still being able to hold 72 players servers for players.

Wile i understand this is a nice to have, it is not how it was intended. If you are paying for a 64 man server and have 8 admins with reserved permissions... you just got a 72 slot server for the price of a 64.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, disposableHero said:

Here?

Squad\Saved\Config\WindowsServer

Yes, it will require a restart of the server too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spectral said:

Wile i understand this is a nice to have, it is not how it was intended. If you are paying for a 64 man server and have 8 admins with reserved permissions... you just got a 72 slot server for the price of a 64.

What about communities that lease their own servers from a data center?

Reserved slots shouldn't have been taken away without providing RCON access to the admin community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, disposableHero said:

What about communities that lease their own servers from a data center?

Reserved slots shouldn't have been taken away without providing RCON access to the admin community.

This is how many games do reserved slots. We had to patch this because of the abuse it was causing server providers. We are working on RCON and hopefully it will make it into a6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, look at my edit again... it wasn't saving for some reason. it needs the [SquadOnlineSessionSettings]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, we just confirmed that this is a temp fix to get admins in.

Add

[SquadOnlineSessionSettings]
Member=123456
+Member=3427972

In Saved/Config/WindowsServer/GameUserSettings.ini

 

You may need to remove the + if you add multiple ones. it really depends on the server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Game server providers are the/part of the issue why does that have to effect us that have our own boxes?

Yes server player count goes up but rarely stays over the top for long with Disconnecting players unable to re-join.

Personally liked the old way =(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently we do not want servers to have more than 72 players to ensure acceptable performance. Any way around this upper limit is not intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently you have dozens of server which cannot be admin'd - anarchy this is called... hackers must be having a field day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also like I mentioned before, this is how reserved slots are supposed to work in most games. We are not going to have 2 code bases for servers (1 for providers and 1 for self hosting). The point of a reserved slot is to allow an admin to join quickly, there has to be a medium on allowing all admins to play whenever they want to or allowing more players to be in the server and an admin to join later to get out the riff raff.

The previous behavior was not intended to be in the game. It was patched. We must move on from here. Like I mentioned we are working on RCON.

2 minutes ago, BabylonCome said:

Currently you have dozens of server which cannot be admin'd - anarchy this is called... hackers must be having a field day...

Please read above... there is already a solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the server slot system should be more like BF4.  

Example. Pre-Release(Premium players in BF4) players will have a gain in the queue system inhead of EA players ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another temp solution we are using is when the server is full and admin cannot join. We just reboot the server so we can join. It only takes about 10mins before the server is full again but with several senior admins already in game.

We are about to test the other above mention solution but since this requires a server reboot, we may wait until tomorrow now.

(spoken as a server admin over being a mod - just for the record).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having strong communities should be an important aim for the Squad team.  Unfortunately this thread seems to imply otherwise.  

Don't screw the communities that provide servers, it helps no one. 

Edited by Tommy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×