Guys just my two pence, ive had many people that ive played with express negative opinion about the Medic screen, its too cluttered, simple communication should really negate any need for this cluttered ui. 

just played 5 min with 5.0 just before the server crash as a medic and i noticed at least 3 different types of "medic" icon that i didn't know what they meant lol.

I too feel like the medic map is now too "clustered" with information and i feel like it is removing / denying  of the most important features of squad: Communication and Immersion, it also makes it too easy by using the map to find friendlies who are down 

I don't see what was wrong with the way it was. It's far too busy now. I just don't need to know all this this information. The info I want to know and need to share, I can do by using my microphone. Are we on a slippery slope to dumbing down the game to the lowest common denominator now?

The medic has been dumbed down too much now. A red player icon on the map when the player is incapacitated is as far as I would go personally.

I felt the previous system was fine for acquiring downed team mates. 

Unfortunately I really feel strongly about the new map UI and in particular the new medic icons. As a full time medic in game I think the new icons are an unnecessary addition and clutter the map. I don't feel they add anything, moreover they remove immersion and dumb down coms between squad mates. 

The map icon (self) flashing and the general icons have also added to the map clutter. I find myself zoomed in most of the time to see squad formations which I find hard to play. The cone direction was by far the best implementation  thus far.

Nit picking? Perhaps, I just needed to feedback my personal impression of V5.

Lastly I would like to thank all the Devs for there tireless work even if It sounds like a mone.

i think it needs a little fine-tuning til we get to a final point i guess

Devs, I don't want to die from epilepsy. Do something with the medic UI and UI in general.

Gdamn I'm happy so many other people share my same sentiment. Have to agree that the new medic map icons are way too much. Prefer v4 style. 

Being one of the main medics in the redcoats I have to agree fully with Rossy, I do not like this flashy icon in the map,  Its just to distracting, I feel the whole new map system is much much worse as a whole then the old way. But the medic way is the absolute worst of it. I really feel go back to the old way is much better off.

TOOOOO much. That wasnt great step. Nice experiment, but hmmm doesnt fit in this game in right way. This is truly first time I have to say something like that. :( 

I said it in AJAX thread about UI ... that with  new direction of UI game will start losing the "magic". 

Edited by elerik

Not only the medic icons, but all icons are kind of ugly. And they render not so good. The round player markers were better. Also, would be good to change the icon colors and font colors. For example, it is better to use white font on a darker background so the icon look more clear, clean and bright. Don't forget to test it for good contrast ratio.

Maybe you can reconsider icon sizes and remove animation for downed players. They could be smaller than regular player icons.

The arrow icon of yourself is a bad decision, imo. Different color is enough. And liked the view angle much more.

As a long time medic player, I like that it's easier to pick out who is down, but I agree that at this point, the different icons are giving info that I don't really need, or maybe I don't understand what they all signify. Basically, the medic only needs to find the people who are actually down and incapacitated, if someone is up but wounded, you'll find each other at some point. If you're down, you are going to follow the same procedure, bandage/magic fanny pack with everyone, there's no need to distinguish. There's ekg icons and bloody seepage icons, if both of those are down, what's the difference? And if bloody ones are up and ekg's are down, we don't need to know about the walking wounded. I think a more intutive icon would be better, just change a regular player icon to red, walking wounded yellow or leave as is. If you want to signify who is about to bleed out, change the tone. Brighter red = worse condition. 

Yep, maybe at least not have them blink? Also nix the player triangle. It's almost star shaped and I'm not sure which way I'm facing half the time. 

As far the information overload you guys are feeling in regards to the  medic ui.  Adjustment takes time.  However, as solidus and many other have said the arrows need a distinct direction. a triangle has 3 points and currently it strains the eye to try and hone in on which way your squad mates are looking on the map.  You may think that this features flaw is trivial but it is important when it comes down to knowing who is covering your back.

bf 1942 style FTW..

Edited by digdug

So i spent 3 hours like medic just because I would like get in to it and thought about it and I will definitely give it more time. At this moment I got used to it. But it so simple now find sombody wounded that its lost some stuff. Some others was added. Now you dont need to navigate medic where to go. Some kind of communication disapear. Its could be good for "training" medic how to use it. What to focus. But in regular game  Iwould like keep harder way and keep some challenges in game. 

Idea: Turn on/off could be good compromise. 

minus (-) Anyway. Icons didnt help new medics. I had absolutly new guy in squad and even with icons hints I had to explain a lot how to play as medic. 

Idea: May be it could be like it was in PR. When sombody was shoot and wounded his icon was flash for a second and medic cout see it but after while it disapear. He press "screaming button" and time limited flash icon again showed at map for a medic. But i think its known.

plus (+) Advantage is that now you dont need disturb squad radio  "in hard time" with not so important medic navigation where to go. 

(+) You can easly find even non squadmate and heal him 

(-) but without proper and fun communication at local voip 

(-) flashing is definitely eye drain

(-) 2 icons one for bleeding one for wounded. I would keep at player who bleed to find out medic/call medic/attract medic attantion and remove this icon. And keep at medic to focus to just realy wounded. Or ifsyombody will find his position heal bleeding 

(+) its funny watch how squad is wiped out somewhere 1km far away.

(-) it should be at Squad leader to creat good radio communication about "hard times" and need assistance. But medic should not be that guy who say first say "hey squad lead we lost half of guys at D-flag" jsutbecause I saw it at map. Well I dont tell this information and let Squad leaders to communicate it. 

So I think its not about "user friendly" but about "habits" which have to be created by players. And with this communication chanel is interupted different way. 

I just wrote my thoughts. I cant say its good or bad. Its funny these way or these way...both. But I have many years of PR behind and almost year of Squad and my habits are pretty fine. For new players well time will show up. Just think about it around round table because from my point of view this is one of the most critical part of game. Medic kit. Its alfa omega of playing, of understanding this game in deep not just like run and gun play mechanic. 

Hwk

when I check the map all I see is bacteria moving around... especially now that the background is gray... please no offense but change it, don't need to overcomplicate

I don't think we need any indicators for bleeding/wounded/incapacitated. I played medic for a few rounds last night and found myself looking at the map constantly rather than talking to my squad and focusing on the first-person view. Devs said that they implement different things to guide players' behavior and I think putting so much information on the map guides players to rely on it, breaking immersion.  Also, like others said, it's too cluttered. I think simple and streamlined design should be prioritized over fancy visuals when it comes to the UI. Anyway, I'm looking forward to how Ajax will improve the UI. I know it's WIP right now and the changes in the latest update are an interesting experiment for sure.

Edited by fatalsushi

I agree that the clutter has increased and needs to be reduced.

I think a simple option like just recoloring the icons orange and red with a green/blue border would work rather than trying to squeeze a "heart rate monitor" graphic in there.

The way the SL icon gets handled is confusing too. The SL icon just displays a larger circle of the same icon for wounded/incap. It's ok, but often it gets lost in the clutter, and during my games today several times I wondered where squad leader went only to realize he's in that mass of incap icons somewhere.

One big gameplay change that I noticed in my medic'ing today was that I was healing a LOT more blue/not-in-my-squad players just because I could find them on the map. Not a pro or con, but definitely a change in gameplay I noticed.

Edited by Winzler

11 hours ago, CMBelite-FR said:

just played 5 min with 5.0 just before the server crash as a medic and i noticed at least 3 different types of "medic" icon that i didn't know what they meant lol.

If you look at the patch notes, it says...

• Added bleeding and incapacitated map icons on the map, visible to Medics.

The new icons look fine. Maybe just remove the blinking animation.

Edited by Ghost Assassin

old map UI was fine. only change was maybe showing downed players as red dots, showing wounded players is TMI, use your own eyes! don't like all the flashing dots, ruins the immersion. don't like not having the white FOV indicator, it's too hard to figure out what direction you are facing. don't like not being able to see where the downed SL is.

I think the new bleeding/dead players icons takes away from the team play.  It does make it easier for medics to find injured players, but prior, we used to call out to medics and give our position.  Now, it's not necessary...I have mixed feelings on these icons...

Change for change's sake is not always a good thing. This  information is better obtained in a manner consistent wit the original goals of the game - communication and teamwork.

We need to stop dumbing the game down for the lowest common denominator. Its becoming a worrisome trend. These UI changes are the latest in a series of decisions that are providing solutions to problems players could once be expected to find for themselves.