00chapmano

Shadows missing from vegetation?

I'm confused as to why shadows have been removed from plants and grass, at least on 'Chora'. I noticed this a few weeks ago, but didn't want to bring it up until at least another update was released. Well the latest update is now out, and the patch notes even mention some improvement to Chora - and yet the shadow are still non-existent.

Please, please someone tell me this isn't a permanent feature!?  

Here's how it used to look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4XUU8htYOS8Uk4ybjNoeHo4alU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4XUU8htYOS8TWI1TXlKWlg1N1U/view?usp=sharing

Here's how it looks now:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4XUU8htYOS8SXJnMU96QjVCbGs/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4XUU8htYOS8QXBRX0VlV3VVLUk/view?usp=sharing

Edited by 00chapmano

I believe the "shadows" slider in graphic settings is responsible. Do you run the game at epic settings? Try experimenting with the slider

Time of day issue? Some screenshots are done when the map is set to evening or late afternoon and the others are near Noon? I'll have to check this out when I get in tonight. 

Also check the Vram setting is set to what your video card actually has.  Irontaxi has mentioned it has defaulted lower in some cases.

I believe @IronTaxi said it was done to improve performance on Chora. Maybe he'll chime in here.

My settings were maxed out, and I have photos and videos of gameplay on Chora from a couple months ago which show full shadows on the vegetation. Someone has intentionally removed them - I just hope to god it's not permanent, and not because this forum has so many people complaining about tactical advantages by not having shadows enabled etc etc. That just makes me mad!

Slightly off topic, but it's also worth mentioning that the UE4 is a very light-weight engine. It's not expensive to buy to GPU that can run this game on full. I just don't get where people are coming from with the whole FPS issues. FPS issues in this game are totally down to CPU (or CPU optimisation issues) and the network right now. Grrrrr!

13 hours ago, DesmoLocke said:

I believe @IronTaxi said it was done to improve performance on Chora. Maybe he'll chime in here.

According to Blitza and what I remember yesterday from discord: (quote of Blitza)

Chora - well, not updated yet due to @IrOnTaXi getting too fruity at GDC and forgetting to update it. Personally I find this hilarious and it's great to know that our boys at OWI are human and indulge in the finer things in life (cocaine included).

3 hours ago, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

According to Blitza and what I remember yesterday from discord: (quote of Blitza)

The field shadow changes were done in V4. The same time the cornfield was removed near Riverside Farm. 

Any word on this yet? Today's update mentions foliage improvements coming to Chora, which seems to be the only map these missing shadows apply to. Are we going to get the shadows back? Because this map is looking ugly as hell without them. Anyone???

I Noticed this instantly aswell.   I preffer the shadows ON, i mean, Chora ran good for me anyway and i have low specs.

No worries though will just wait. I am sure they will get "turned On" again....  I hope.

Edited by Hasbro

they will come back.. or my dead body will be laying somewhere in a ditch.. one or the other.