trotskygrad

Ideal system for picking things up from the ground.

- you can pick up primary weapons like RPG or AK or enemy gun. But you will drop it if you switch from it but cannot reload. You will also suffer additional sway penalties if it is a different type of weapon (eg RPG if you are not RPG gunner or PKM if you are not PKM gunner). your regular primary weapon is retained. You also will move slower (depending on the weight of the weapon)

- no picking up of special equipment like medbags or binoculars, or special weapons that require special training to use (milan, the type of rifle that shall not be named)

- option to scavenge standard ammo (standard) or grenades or bandages from dead dead squad mates with medium length animation. Forces player to be immobile but can be interrupted.

Edited by trotskygrad

I always liked the way Insurgency done it where you could pick up any dropped weapon but you only have the ammo that's in the weapon ie no reloading. If your downed RPG man didn't get to fire his rocket you can grab it and let fly (if he's dead). You just better make it count as you don't get another shot. If the RPG guy only had his AK out at the time then tough luck, that's what he'll drop.

You should only be able to scavenge ammo or weapons from dead players and not incapacitated ones so people can't just troll your body when you're downed and leave you with nothing once revived. You should have the choice to give ammo to a team mate and not have it just taken from you.

The weapons of dead players should only remain on the field until they respawn.

14 minutes ago, shawn7186 said:

Fallout 4! Enough said.

Gotta get them glue and tape off them buildings too lol

But I'm more worried about how this will impact revivals and shit. How will the freshly revived get their equipment?

Try searching for 'looting dead players' or stuff like that. I'm sure I've seen several threads about this by now. 

- you can pick up primary weapons like RPG or AK or enemy gun. But you will drop it if you switch from it but cannot reload. You will also suffer additional sway penalties if it is a different type of weapon (eg RPG if you are not RPG gunner or PKM if you are not PKM gunner)

- no picking up of special equipment like medbags or binoculars

- option to scavenge standard ammo (standard) or grenades or bandages from dead dead squad mates with medium length animation. Forces player to be immobile but can be interrupted.

I like it. Great thread.

2 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

I always liked the way Insurgency done it where you could pick up any dropped weapon but you only have the ammo that's in the weapon ie no reloading. If your downed RPG man didn't get to fire his rocket you can grab it and let fly (if he's dead). You just better make it count as you don't get another shot. If the RPG guy only had his AK out at the time then tough luck, that's what he'll drop.

You should only be able to scavenge ammo or weapons from dead players and not incapacitated ones so people can't just troll your body when you're downed and leave you with nothing once revived. You should have the choice to give ammo to a team mate and not have it just taken from you.

The weapons of dead players should only remain on the field until they respawn.

That's literally what I said. I think there should additionally be option to grab weapon off their back, if say your 240 gunner went down when he had a pistol out.

Edited by trotskygrad

As long as you can't reload, like you said, it makes sense. For the most part you are just quickly picking up the weapon, presumably because you are out our ammo for your main gun. What do you think about only allowing you to pick up enemy weapons once you yourself are out of ammo?

6 minutes ago, trotskygrad said:

That's literally what I said. I think there should additionally be option to grab weapon off their back, if say your 240 gunner went down when he had a pistol out.

Yep just agreeing with you about weapon pick up and how it can be done and not be like the kit swap BF does. The bit I don't agree with is taking weapons from a dead bodies inventory. It should just be what they had equipped at the time they died. The dropped weapon remains on the ground when the body despawns and then the weapon despawns when the player respawns.

22 minutes ago, MattersEnd said:

As long as you can't reload, like you said, it makes sense. For the most part you are just quickly picking up the weapon, presumably because you are out our ammo for your main gun. What do you think about only allowing you to pick up enemy weapons once you yourself are out of ammo?

pointless restriction. 

8 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Yep just agreeing with you about weapon pick up and how it can be done and not be like the kit swap BF does. The bit I don't agree with is taking weapons from a dead bodies inventory. It should just be what they had equipped at the time they died. The dropped weapon remains on the ground when the body despawns and then the weapon despawns when the player respawns.

would be hella bullshit if my RPG gunner goes down, and I can see the RPG on his back, right as a PC rolls round the corner.

2 minutes ago, trotskygrad said:

would be hella bullshit if my RPG gunner goes down, and I can see the RPG on his back, right as a PC rolls round the corner.

If he's dead his body is going to despawn anyway. If he's incapacitated all the more reason to get him a revive.

51 minutes ago, MattersEnd said:

Then it becomes immersion breaking IMO.

why? there's very little point to running around wiht a captured weapon

why? there's very little point to running around wiht a captured weapon

I'm saying if you have your main weapon and ammo why would you ever pick up another weapon?

1 hour ago, MattersEnd said:

I'm saying if you have your main weapon and ammo why would you ever pick up another weapon?

the gun provides a different level of capability (in the gpmg/rocket launchers). It's a real thing soldiers are crosstrained in with.

10 minutes ago, trotskygrad said:

I'm talking about guns primarily. Stop shitting up my thread with this off topic link

It's pretty much the same topic. Your thread could have been named "Let's copy the Insurgency system of picking up enemy guns"

Also, it's always gameplay > realism, keep that in mind and you boys have fun here ;) I'm off.

8 minutes ago, MultiSquid said:

It's pretty much the same topic. Your thread could have been named "Let's copy the Insurgency system of picking up enemy guns"

Also, it's always gameplay > realism, keep that in mind and you boys have fun here ;) I'm off.

it's not the ins system because it adds the ability to scavenge from backs (which will be the most common instance when your RPG gunner goes down, 9/10 times) and limits it. INS you could pickup literally everyhing and that wouldn't make sense for shit like stingers. You also lost your primary in INS when picking up enemy weapons and imo that's just dumb. Shouldn't happen.

Edited by trotskygrad

Trotsky, would you be able to scavenge enemies for magazines made for their weapon? e.g. On US, you pick up an AKM and the dead enemy also has 7.62x39 mags on him; can those be picked up w/ animation?

Also, what would be the rules on picking up from incapacitated players? Since they are not fully dead, they could be revived, but have no weapon. What's the workaround there?

Good thread by the way, I think this topic should have some input from the community.

Edited by Mumble

Just now, Mumble said:

Trotsky, would you be able to scavenge enemies for magazines made for their weapon? e.g. On US, you pick up an AKM and the dead enemy also has 7.62x39 mags on him; can those be picked up w/ animation?

Also, what would be the rules on picking up from incapacitated players? Since they are not fully dead, they could be revived, but have no weapon. What's the workaround there?

I wouldn't say so, maybe it could be a thing for militia/insurgents but in general I'd say no.

for picking up weapons.

for incap I think you should be able to pick up their "special" weapon if they are on your team (eg PKM/RPK/RPG) and when they are revived you can give it back to them by going up and pressing use or a special key. Enemies wouldn't be able to pick it up. For regular weapons (aka M4 if you are on US) you cannot take from an incap player as it would be rather pointless. You can't pick up pistols or anything silly like that.

Enemy weapons would only be able to be picked up if the owner is dead dead.