Nick

The Good Old Game Changing Gadget From PR (Grappling hook)

The good old grappling hook,itwas so usefull and really was game changer.Pretty sure all of us would love to see this in SQUAD.

I'm not sure but I believe the devs have nixed this because grappling hooks were only needed because buildings weren't all enterable and there was no other way to get on roofs. I too love grappling hooks, but I'd love even more to see more enterable buildings rather than having to rope onto every one

I think they'll be added in a future build as some maps may require it. - Talking about new to be released maps here, not current ones.

You've got my sign on this.

In the livestream they showed ladders. I hope this doesn't replace grappling hook though. Going roof to roof was awesome in Sbeneh Outskirts.

In my opinion, and maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I think the grappling hook should be left in the past and not be in Squad. It just allows for too much quick ninja stuff and feels a bit out of place and goofy. I'd much rather see a different way to get over/on certain objects that is authentic and fitting to the focus on regular infantry, maybe like boosting. Not everything needs to be climbable, and there's always helicopters.

I think the hook should be included. It adds an alternative way of attacking when breaching a compound/cave/house/whatever rather than having to walk through a heavily guarded entrance.

The negatives are that the hooks do feel a little artificial, snipers roping on top of silos and water towers, people climbing trees etc If we have well designed levels and enter-able buildings then there should be less requirement for hooks to get around. 

But on the up side, hooks would presumable be much easier to implement that climbing/ boosting etc and would give players more scope for making their own approaches and tactics. Basically, I agree with the last 2 posters, even though they are saying opposite things :P

Cheers, Murkey.

* Of course the good old grappling hook from project reality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6E0LLx3V5I.

Damn it was so gamechanging and was so fun to use since it wasn't scripted.By that, i mean that you were able to use it anywhere you want.It was physical so you were able to use it in a free way..Please add this back.It felt so great to come & attack the enemy from the places that they would not expect from.

(Sorry if i reposted this, i think i have accidently removed my old post)

I think they might have replaced it with the ladder... I would like to see grappling hooks used on tall buildings as roof access though! I think it's really fun in PR, it's a little bit ridiculous seeing people use it for 6ft walls though lol.

Edit: Doubt anyone can climb a rope with a full combat load..anyone done it?

+1 for keeping grappling hooks.  I like the idea of building ladders and having them stay, but we for sure need grappling hooks to stay.  Such an increased dynamic when you can get your guys on higher roofs, increasing the overall dynamic of the battlefield.

*cough*fastropes*cough*

You do know they are different things right?

Ffs, why would they even add ladders when the players said the rope was just more fun to use?

Seriously how the hell is a person supposed to carry a ladder thats not longer than one meter?

Ffs, why would they even add ladders when the players said the rope was just more fun to use?

Seriously how the hell is a person supposed to carry a ladder thats not longer than one meter?

Are you not familiar with the "Snakes and Ladders" concept?  :lol:

Merged Duplicate topic.

Combat ladders are in common usage.

Grappling hooks are a fantasy implemented to get around engine limitations. In reality they are functionally useless unless you are boarding pirate-ships.

Another consequence was that a lot of buildings in PR were designed not to be enterable, thereby giving the gapple much more utility in getting up to rooftops and balconies. It may return in some form, but the coding hurdles of getting a movable rope plus a character to climb on it aren't worth the resources right now, especially when a simple ladder can fulfil the role decently

Also, my intent is to have the ladder a physics based object that can be used to cross from rooftop to rooftop acting as a sort of improvised bridge.

Hopefully, we can make most buildings enterable and rooftops accessible in some form without the need of grappling hooks. Only time will tell how it all turns out.