dvsilverwing

The Weapons Thread!

The G3 is such an awesome weapon... :wub:  such a shame its that expensive :(

It's a decent gun, but its capabilities are blown far out of proportion by HKShills. Also, yeah, it's undeservedly expensive. The damn thing is a stamped steel monstrosity that has a base in weapons that were developed for cheap production at the end of WWII. It's only expensive because of the HK rollmark.

So give it to the Militia faction, then.

ukraine-shooting.jpg

I'd be fine with this, I guess. The Militia faction does indeed seem like it's trying to be a middle ground between Chechen rebels and the Donetsk Separatists. Also, holy shit I remember the video that your picture was taken from. Pretty sure it was the first Battle of Donetsk Airport and I remember because that guy's PKA (and I think someone else's PSO) fell off their guns because they had no idea how to properly mount them.

I think the CompM2 looks better than the CompM4

but I just have to deal with it bro.

realism is realism.

To be fair to you, the U.S. military catalog makes no distinction between the Comp M4, the Comp M2, the PRO, the Comp M3, or the Comp M4S. All of them are considered the "M68 CCO".

I'd be fine with this, I guess. The Militia faction does indeed seem like it's trying to be a middle ground between Chechen rebels and the Donetsk Separatists. Also, holy shit I remember the video that your picture was taken from. Pretty sure it was the first Battle of Donetsk Airport and I remember because that guy's PKA (and I think someone else's PSO) fell off their guns because they had no idea how to properly mount them.

I mean, I'd assume they're Ukrainian Paramilitary/Chechen because... well, they're fighting Russians, but I haven't seen very many pro-Kiev fighters wearing Gorka. They're basically just a generic paramilitary force, I suppose.

Also, his scope falls off in this video at about the 1:28 mark.

Can we make a deal in which if one more person posts a "special forces" gun request, including anything with a silencer, the thread gets taken over by spiderman?

Russia needs something else in terms of LMG RPK doesnt really cut it they really need the PKP imo and RPG-22s or 26s

Full of unique ideas today, eh?

Just poking fun at ya', yes give us time please.

Full of unique ideas today, eh?

Just poking fun at ya', yes give us time please.

Lol I guess though I have been saying for a few weeks Russia needs PKP and RPG-22s I ofc dont expect these things soon but would love to see them at some point

Russian ex-Military here.

So,weapon review here.

AK-74M - today it's the main personel weapon in The Russian Army.They replaces all AK74 modifications.

AK-74M always come with:

1)Bayonet and Sheat

25759.jpg

2)4 Magazines

3)Bag for 4 Magazines

4)Cleaning Kit

5)Clips for loading

pouch6.jpg

Today - standart kit mostly used in watch/patrols,by non-combat/support units,or by vehicle crews.

The most popular past-gen AK is AKS74(folding frame stock).

Despite alot of photos of optics usage - they're used only by Special Forces and limited in VDV Air Assault companies.Regular forces doen't uses any sort of optics.And this is at least of 95% of ground forces.

AKS74U - dying weapon,but still uses.Mostly replaced by AKS-74/AK-74M.They haven't bayounet,all rest - the same.

RPK74/RPK74M - another dying weapon.But they will remain at least 20 years,because if you can teach Soldier use AK - they will know RPK as well.

Current ingame harness is 6SH112,in Machinegunner modification they purposed to be used with PKM/PKP.There is no default pounches for RPK mags.

1750226571.jpg

Standart kit for RPK is:

1)8 45rnd Magazines

2)2 magazine bags

3)Cleaning kit

4)Clips for loading

PKM - in Soviet union it was Platoon Level MG,today - squad level.They replaces RPK,in most units.But in reality - weapon is mixed,so in every platoon still remains at least 1 RPK gunner,or even together with PKM gunner(2 MG per squad,light and medium).

PKP - same story as PKM,but newer.Never Saw this.

SVD - in typical BMP company SVD is in very limited use,but BTR companies have Sniper in every squad.VDV uses SVD-S,version with folding stock.

RPG-7 - it's default squad AntiTank weapon.Every squad have it.ALWAYS uses with optic sight PGO-1.

RPG-26 - single-use launcher.Might be used by everyone.Usuall if nessesary reinforce unin - command send box with this to company,they're not attached to soldiers.

RSHG-2 - same thing as RPG26,but have thermobaric warhead.It's and reactive flamethrower of ground forces.

Underbarrel Grenade Laucher(Usually GP25) - usually 1 pes squad,but it might be more,or might be none :)

As I post earlier - no sence to add Russian forces any sort of optic sights,except RPG-7 and SVD.

Just allow to bring more limited classes.

I see it like this

1)Squad Leader

2)Senior Rifleman(Grenadier)

3)RPG7 gunner

4)RPK gunner

5)PKM gunner

6)Rifleman (RPG26 or RSHG)

7)Rifleman (RPG26 or RSHG)

8)Rifleman(or Crewman)

9)Rifleman(or Crewman)

Something like than.Should works much better(cause make faction specific) and realistic that mystirious optics for AK with optics.

Russian ex-Military here.

So,weapon review here.

AK-74M - today it's the main personel weapon in The Russian Army.They replaces all AK74 modifications.

AK-74M always come with:

1)Bayonet and Sheat

2)4 Magazines

3)Bag for 4 Magazines

4)Cleaning Kit

5)Clips for loading

pouch6.jpg

Today - standart kit mostly used in watch/patrols,by non-combat/support units,or by vehicle crews.

The most popular past-gen AK is AKS74(folding frame stock).

Despite alot of photos of optics usage - they're used only by Special Forces and limited in VDV Air Assault companies.Regular forces doen't uses any sort of optics.And this is at least of 95% of ground forces.

AKS74U - dying weapon,but still uses.Mostly replaced by AKS-74/AK-74M.They haven't bayounet,all rest - the same.

RPK74/RPK74M - another dying weapon.But they will remain at least 20 years,because if you can teach Soldier use AK - they will know RPK as well.

Current ingame harness is 6SH112,in Machinegunner modification they purposed to be used with PKM/PKP.There is no default pounches for RPK mags.

Standart kit for RPK is:

1)8 45rnd Magazines

2)2 magazine bags

3)Cleaning kit

4)Clips for loading

PKM - in Soviet union it was Platoon Level MG,today - squad level.They replaces RPK,in most units.But in reality - weapon is mixed,so in every platoon still remains at least 1 RPK gunner,or even together with PKM gunner(2 MG per squad,light and medium).

PKP - same story as PKM,but newer.Never Saw this.

SVD - in typical BMP company SVD is in very limited use,but BTR companies have Sniper in every squad.VDV uses SVD-S,version with folding stock.

RPG-7 - it's default squad AntiTank weapon.Every squad have it.ALWAYS uses with optic sight PGO-1.

RPG-26 - single-use launcher.Might be used by everyone.Usuall if nessesary reinforce unin - command send box with this to company,they're not attached to soldiers.

RSHG-2 - same thing as RPG26,but have thermobaric warhead.It's and reactive flamethrower of ground forces.

Underbarrel Grenade Laucher(Usually GP25) - usually 1 pes squad,but it might be more,or might be none :)

Thanks for the perspective, it's very rare that you get to hear from someone in the Russian military who knows more than your standard knowledge from conscription. Now, that being said I'm going to analyze your ideas and give my personal reasons for liking/disliking them, 

1. Is it true that some of the AK-74Ms are just modernized AK-74s? I saw an interesting breakdown of the weapons that the VDV were carrying in Crimea and many of them seemed to have older, original AK-74 style traits but with black polymer furniture. Some people say that many of these weapons were just deactivated AK-74s dressed up as AK-74Ms just for the invasion, but somehow I think that's a little too elaborate. 

2. Is 4 magazines really still the standard loadout for your average Russian soldier? To me that seems a bit low, and while I personally love to reflect real life in games like this, I think that only having 4+1 magazines is way too low. Do I think it would encourage more interesting firefights? Yeah, and it make work in the future when the gameplay is slowed down with the implementation of vehicles, but for now I think that the gameplay and gunplay are a little too fast to only give an entire team 5 magazines.

3. I'm not sure about anyone else but personally I've known for awhile that a lot of Russian soldiers don't get optics. I'm not exactly sure how you get one in the Russian Armed Forces, but it seems to me that unless you're in the VDV or some other premier unit you don't get shit for optics. It's weird though, because even in those front line units you see a lot of different optics, such as 1P78s, 1P29s, Kobras, PK-ASs, Krechets, and all sorts of other neat stuff that provides no sense of uniformity. Do you know how that works, and if so could you please explain.

Also, personally I think it would be best to display the Russian soldiers in game as the VDV or some other top-of-the-line unit. I know it doesn't reflect the entirety of the Russian military, but Russia will be a mainly AAF faction and I do think that it would be pretty disadvantageous in the future to see the Russians having no optics and 4/5 magazines when the US Army issues quite a few ACOGs and won't even let soldiers go outside the wire with less than 8 magazines.

4. RPK Gunners only get eight 45 round magazines? Hell, I still feel as if that's a bit low for a light support weapon, but maybe the Russian doctrine finds a way to compensate for it.

5. In-game I honestly don't think it would make a difference which makes an appearance. Unless the devs latch onto my idea or have been planning to model their loadout around the VDV from the start, they could honestly model either weapon and it would function the exact same in game. Sure, the PKP has a force air-cooled barrel and all that other stuff, but none of it will change the way it works in game I'd say.

6. Not sure if it's a typo on your part or on the part of Americans everywhere, but do you mean the PGO-7? Also, I think it's incredibly weird that they decided to model iron sights rather than the PGO optic. Honestly, even the Taliban seems to have those things, I can't imagine that the Russian army wouldn't.

7. I thought the Russian Armed Forces switched over to the GP-34?  

As I post earlier - no sence to add Russian forces any sort of optic sights,except RPG-7 and SVD.

Just allow to bring more limited classes.

I see it like this

1)Squad Leader

2)Senior Rifleman(Grenadier)

3)RPG7 gunner

4)RPK gunner

5)PKM gunner

6)Rifleman (RPG26 or RSHG)

7)Rifleman (RPG26 or RSHG)

8)Rifleman(or Crewman)

9)Rifleman(or Crewman)

Something like than.Should works much better(cause make faction specific) and realistic that mystirious optics for AK with optics.

I think that would be an interesting squad setup and might even work without optics, especially if the Russians get those RSHG Thermobaric warhead launchers. Those things would be seriously devastating.

1. Partly. Most of these rifles are 74Ms with spare parts from older 74s. But some branches, Military Police for example, use original AK-74.

2. This bag is obsolete gear, mag pouches for 6sh112 can hold up to 8 mags.

3. Infantry has optics, at least guards brigades in South and West military districts.

4. Yes, russian doctrine found the way. They just replace RPK with PKP and PKM. Every rifle squad got GPMG.

7. Russians just have started, in the end of last year.

I think for balance the SL needs the 1P29...

Nice post dude, pretty insightful :D

At least people have no excuse to ask for PP-19 Bizon-2s, AN-94s, OTs-14s, A-545s, AS VALs and AK-12s under the premise that Russians use them cos they are Russian made :P

Sooo if you replace LMGs with GPMGs, where do the RPK-74Ms go? Are they given to the Ministry of Internal Affairs or so? Or simply retired?

I think for balance the SL needs the 1P29...

Nice post dude, pretty insightful :D

At least people have no excuse to ask for PP-19 Bizon-2s, AN-94s, OTs-14s, A-545s, AS VALs and AK-12s under the premise that Russians use them cos they are Russian made :P

Sooo if you replace LMGs with GPMGs, where do the RPK-74Ms go? Are they given to the Ministry of Internal Affairs or so? Or simply retired?

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/121355-modern-russian-infantry-battalion-structure/

"PKP shares 80% of the kit with PKM, so general replacement happened very quickly. However, there are some remote formations that still have only PKM’s. To note, they more than likely don’t apply to CMBS rapid deployment scenario. It is important to note though, few BMP battalions that still have not received PKP’s, use RPK-74M’s on squad level. BMP Battalions that have received PKP’s use them both on platoon and squad level. Consequently BMP platoons can either have 4xPKP, or 1xPKM+3xRPK-74M."

As for implementation in Squad, in the current build I think there should simply be the option between PKP/PKM/RPK-74M for a squad MG.

Also RPK-74M seems more use in the marine infantry afaik.

Also for the average Russian rifleman I think the option should be given between AKS-74/AKS-74M/AK-74M. For Support troops like Medic and RPG gunner and Crew-Served weapon teams (if added) should have the choice between AKS-74M/AKS-74U/AK-74M/AKS-74. Even crewmen for tanks should be able to choose between AKS-74 and AKS-74U. Combat experience in Chechnya cause most tankmen to drop their AKS-74U in favor of a full length rifle rather quickly. Options are a good thing :D.

In the end with the addition of possible limited weapon customization I think we need a better system for determining weapon allocation between squads and how soldiers should be able to access/customize them.

As for implementation in Squad, in the current build I think there should simply be the option between PKP/PKM/RPK-74M for a squad MG.

I think just giving a PKP is good enough for the Russian Ground Forces, as the PKM and PKP aren't a whole lot difference apart from the fact that the PKM is more venerable, and the PKP is meant to be a bunch of improvements. SQUAD is set in near-future/past where the US Army has an entire arsenal of M4A1s, so we can do likewise for PKPs, assuming the Russians intend to fully adopt the PKP?

That and keep the RPK-74M

I think just giving a PKP is good enough for the Russian Ground Forces, as the PKM and PKP aren't a whole lot difference apart from the fact that the PKM is more venerable, and the PKP is meant to be a bunch of improvements. SQUAD is set in near-future/past where the US Army has an entire arsenal of M4A1s, so we can do likewise for PKPs, assuming the Russians intend to fully adopt the PKP?

That and keep the RPK-74M

PKP is fully adopted, but PKM would be statistically more common. it's a FPS, they're all seen in service, might as well add them all and give the player the choice. Russian Army isn't so standardized as US Army. Here we see a guy with RPK-74 standard and digiflora uniform... not saying we should go this far though, as this might be B/C readiness unit on FTX.

sbcKZNlJkrs.jpg

I want to be able to select alt weapons for conventional factions but with a greater emphasis on scope selection. I.E.

Rifleman can choose between M4 and M16A4

Marksman can pick between the SDM-R and M110

Machine Gunner can swap to either the M249 or M240

And each one can choose what scopes within reason(No Sniper scopes for Rifleman).

On the Opfor side, I want greater weapons variety but limited ability to change scopes. That should be reserved for sniper, dmr and recon.

Rifleman can have AK47, AKS-74U, G3, FAL, SKS, M870, ETC.

Marksman can have the same + the SVD and the ability to mount scopes on his guns

MG can have RPK, PKM, ETC.

Sounds good but still cliche every game has M4 and AK versions and in fact there is lot of "new" weapons for example scar or masada or some m4-based guns etc etc i dont know every names and brands but you know what i mean...

we are always stuck on the same guns m4 m16...ak akm etc...  and then people bringing mods to the good games and separate it from the original which is sad i think... Also accesories red dots grips optics magnifiers which every army using should be there as well. I am a big fan of realistic / simulations games but and i think its not just me who think that arsenal is mostly very poor :( 

Sounds good but still cliche every game has M4 and AK versions and in fact there is lot of "new" weapons for example scar or masada or some m4-based guns etc etc i dont know every names and brands but you know what i mean...

we are always stuck on the same guns m4 m16...ak akm etc...  and then people bringing mods to the good games and separate it from the original which is sad i think... Also accesories red dots grips optics magnifiers which every army using should be there as well. I am a big fan of realistic / simulations games but and i think its not just me who think that arsenal is mostly very poor :(

bad idea. M4/M4A1 with rails should largely be the standard for US. Was like that in PR and should be like that in Squad.

might as well add them all and give the player the choice. Russian Army isn't so standardized as US Army.

There's a lot of truth to this statement I wish I could find the photo, but I know for a fact I've seen Russian soldiers around Vladivostok wearing full EMR uniforms but with original SSH-68 helmet. The Russian military is a massive army that has a lot of conscript units that are given the older equipment, and while they appear to be trying their best to standardize there are still some units that slip through the cracks.

it's worth noting that if Russia was actually in a war with the US (i.e. what's happening in the game) I imagine optics would become far more common very quickly

it's worth noting that if Russia was actually in a war with the US (i.e. what's happening in the game) I imagine optics would become far more common very quickly

I agree I feel like if the Russian Military was in conflict they would modernize a little faster especially troops in combat. Look at ww2 it is a good example of how quickly Russia can change their military in just a few years they went from using signal flags for tanks to having radios in every tank