dvsilverwing

The Weapons Thread!

As far as I know, only SOCOM units use block II with Daniel Defense RIS, infantry sticks with KAC handguard.

This is very true, unless you spend your own money to upgrade your weapon. However, it seemed that Squad was kind of modeling their US forces from the 75th RR, so I figured the block II would be the correct way to go. If not, no problems. Plus I am sure mods will be available anyways.

This is very true, unless you spend your own money to upgrade your weapon. However, it seemed that Squad was kind of modeling their US forces from the 75th RR, so I figured the block II would be the correct way to go. If not, no problems. Plus I am sure mods will be available anyways.

Current models are placeholders, you won't see ops-cores when they will be remodelled. Who knows, maybe americans even won't be represented by Army :)

I will be easy to please: the M4 with optics needs a rear iron sight folded down. Purely cosmetic but it drives me nuts in games where it's missing. :)

I'd like to see the HK416 in some sort or form. Either with the implementation of a special forces squad or the Norwegian Armed Forces.

What do you fellas think about a few suppressed variations of new guns coming to Squad plus what we already have that would allow the device?

Used to love that suppressed MP5 in JO for jungle ambushes. :ph34r: If i remember correctly, the IC mod for JO had a suppressed SR-25 which was always lot of fun too! ;) 

suppression%20test2.jpg

Totes wanna see the FNAC because it looks better than the SCAR-L and has a non reciprocating bolt. I hate those things. 

Squad is totally going to show the US army in there as well as the USMC... I mean, the USMC is pretty much going to be a reskin of the US team. I hear they are starting to phase out them M16a4s in favor of the M4a1. I honestly hope they do, it is retarded wasteful spending to see different rifles, caliber, uniforms, aircraft, and everything else not standardized in the armed forces... Though I would imagine the devs would go for the M16a4 as opposed to the M4 ingame for the Marines because variety. 

What do you fellas think about a few suppressed variations of new guns coming to Squad plus what we already have that would allow the device?

Used to love that suppressed MP5 in JO for jungle ambushes. :ph34r: If i remember correctly, the IC mod for JO had a suppressed SR-25 which was always lot of fun too! ;)

suppression%20test2.jpg

PR had suppressed weapons in some of it's factions (Norway or Denmark I think), So it's not impossible. There's also a good chance for one if China is added to the game.

Has a red dot been decided upon for the Russian forces? If not, I'd definitely say the 1P63 Obzor. It was spotted quite a few times on the rifles of Russian soldiers in Crimea as compared to the classic Kobra red dot sight. Another thing I've noticed is that there appears to be different American forces (maybe just from screen shots?) Some seem to wear Crye Airframes while others have standard US Army kits. I'm not sure how this works since I've yet to actually play the games, but considering the only people who wear Airframes are SF units maybe they could have the proper SF weaponry rather than standard issue? An example of this would be the DD M4 Block II rifle for the primary and a Glock 19 for the back up. I'm not sure if there are official acquisition records, but I believe Delta and the other members of TF Black preferred the Glock 19 to other handguns due to the preferred mounting position for their pistols (where most people would put admin pouches on their plate carriers.)

Personally I'd also like to see a Type 56 AK in the game. They're pretty common guns in the Middle East (or really anywhere an AK is found) from what I understand. Of course there would have to be a way to balance them out (since the thing has an extremely long folding bayonet and all), so maybe you could make it heavier (once again, haven't played the game yet but I assume there's some sort of weighting system in game) as well as have considerably less tame recoil seeing as most Type 56 rifles have nub muzzle devices rather than slant brakes.

I'll try to think of more as time goes on. 

1. Yes, it will be 1P63 according to Z-trooper

2. Current US models are 3rd party placeholders, so there won't be no SOF equipment and weaponry in the future

3. Type 56 acts identical to AKM, there is no gameplay reason to implement chinese copy, maybe later or in the mods

1. Yes, it will be 1P63 according to Z-trooper

2. Current US models are 3rd party placeholders, so there won't be no SOF equipment and weaponry in the future

3. Type 56 acts identical to AKM, there is no gameplay reason to implement chinese copy, maybe later or in the mods

1. Glad to hear that.

2. Interesting but also good. In reality not even SF seems to use the Airframe so much as the FAST but I didn't want to question it if it was a design decision.

3. I wouldn't quite say functionally identical. I've stated three ways that it's functionally different from your standard AKM model but if that's not enough to implement it that's fine. Honestly without playing the game I really don't know which weapons are and are not in game so I can't truly suggest anything wild, though I do think the game should really use weapons which are used by their real life military force equivalent rather than a bunch of random crap thrown in to look good. I'm sure one is already up, but I think a faction suggestion list would probably be much better than a specific weapons suggestion list as I'm sure the devs already know what weapons are and are not used by the militaries they have chosen to include into the game. 

Edit: IMFDB appears to have a list of some of the firearms and right away I'm noticing some idiosyncrasies, such as the M9A1 being in game even though the U.S. Army does not use it (the A1 being developed specifically for the USMC.) I also hope they go back and touch up the M4 model a bit as it appears to have some dimensional issues around the FSP in the world model, not to mention the lack of some key features.

Fun fact: The gun at the end of the video to which he says: "You'll never guess what this is." is a T1E3 Pederson Rifle. It almost beat out the M1 Garand in military trials. It's downfall ended up being intricate mechanical components and bullets that required a wax coating on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedersen_rifle

Fun fact: The gun at the end of the video to which he says: "You'll never guess what this is." is a T1E3 Pederson Rifle. It almost beat out the M1 Garand in military trials. It's downfall ended up being intricate mechanical components and bullets that required a wax coating on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedersen_rifle

It's really less an issue with the toggle lock action so much as an issue with the ammunition. The United States military already had boat loads of .30-06 and didn't want to waste it by switching over to .276 Pedersen. Both rifles are damn fine in their own respects, but the Garand had the advantage from the start because of caliber choice.

PR had suppressed weapons in some of it's factions (Norway or Denmark I think), So it's not impossible. There's also a good chance for one if China is added to the game.

The USMC had a suppressed SR25 as a marksman alternative if you didn't want the M14.

The USMC had a suppressed SR25 as a marksman alternative if you didn't want the M14.

I never got to use it so I don't know how it sounded in PR, but I hope that if they add them to Squad they'll make them sound realistic both to you and enemies. Games often way overstate the effectiveness of suppressors to the point where you can only hear them from a couple of feet away, but in reality suppressors are still pretty loud. Not only that, but lots of games seem to forget the biggest problem with shooting 5.56 suppressed: the super-sonic crack. The sound at the end of the muzzle is definitely reduced, but the bullet still breaks the sound barrier and makes an extremely loud crack.

If the devs keep this in mind when doing whatever they might plan on doing with suppressors I'd have no problem and might actually enjoy seeing them in game. 

Hmm this is a challenge. I want the Insurgents to get the scoped SKS for des. marksman or sniper. I like the AK-47, AK-74, AKS-74U, and whatever else they have. The scopes, one of them, is kinda confusing to me. US, is the M4A1, im not sure what the rest are. Id like MK18.

Hmm this is a challenge. I want the Insurgents to get the scoped SKS for des. marksman or sniper. I like the AK-47, AK-74, AKS-74U, and whatever else they have. The scopes, one of them, is kinda confusing to me. US, is the M4A1, im not sure what the rest are. Id like MK18.

I just found out 2 minutes ago that scoped SKS are a thing, but I don't think they were made for the marksman role, no? They were just cheap carbines last time I heard.

I think a Tabuk rifle or a AK-74N/1P29 would be better.

The Tabuk is an Iraqi license-built Zastava M76, which is a 7.92mm Mauser Serbian version of the SVD. The Tabuk is chambered for the 7.62mm M43 round and falls under the designated marksman rifle category. Hence, it would be better suited to that job than a scoped SKS.

I thought about Tabuk too, but it's Iraqi specific weapon and doesn't fit other environments.

1P29 is bulky, heavy and not so modern as 1P78, but not old enough to be typical insurgents scope. I really doubt you can find at least one within middle-east weaponry. Don't think insurgents should have this scope. Honestly, they don't like scopes at all.

I thought about Tabuk too, but it's Iraqi specific weapon and doesn't fit other environments.

1P29 is bulky, heavy and not so modern as 1P78, but not old enough to be typical insurgents scope. I really doubt you can find at least one within middle-east weaponry. Don't think insurgents should have this scope. Honestly, they don't like scopes at all.

I say the typical insurgent scope really should be a PSO. Maybe it's a lack of seeing it myself, but I don't believe that most insurgents can get their hands on 1P29s as easily as the extremely old PSOs. On top of this, will the 1P29 not be the optic of the Russian military? Even looking at the photos of Crimea I can only find a few with magnified optics, and only one of those magnified optics is a 1P78 whereas the majority of the rest are 1P29s.

My view: Pretty much no scopes for INS. Sniper has SVD; so two per team max. Marksman gets a choice between unscoped Mosin (or similar) or AK47 with scope.