dvsilverwing

The Weapons Thread!

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/1661-the-weapons-thread/

Devs need to make themselves a stickied weapons/equipment suggestion, because that's what a ton of suggestions are going to be, especially once it hits Steam Early Access.

For Russia, obviously AK-74M with a choice of optics for their Riflemen, RPK-74M and PKP for the Automatic Rifleman, SVD for the Marksman, GSH-18 or MP-443 Grach (whatever Russia is using a sidearm nowadays, I don't really know) as the secondary for all classes. Maybe a VSS or AS Val or something, possibly.

For Britain, L85A2 with SUSAT (I guess that's what they use, anyway) for the Riflemen, FN Minimi for the Automatic Rifleman, L129A1 for the Marksman, and the Glock 17 as their secondary.

For America, well, we already know what they're using. M4 for Riflemen, M249 and M240B for Automatic Rifleman, SDM-R for the Marksman, M9 as the secondary.

The unconventional factions is where weapon variety gets fun, as you can have varied yet realistic weapon loadouts with multiple options for each class. AKM/AKMS, AK-74/AKS-74, AKS-74u, RPK, RPK-74, PKM, DP-28, FAL, G3, Lee Enfield, Mosin Nagant, Mauser, SVD, SKS, PPSH, Makarov, TT-33, 1911, Browning HP, Skorpion, for some of them even the older generation M16's (M16A1 and A2's).

perhaps if the IDF is actually included at some point a Desert Eagle would make sense.

to my knowledge the IDF is one of the only organizations that actually field it for use. otherwise, Wikipedia lists only 2 other countries/forces that officially use it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Desert_Eagle#Users

I don't think the IDF uses the Desert Eagle as we know it, but rather the Jericho 941, which is basically a clone of the CZ-75. 

The Desert Eagle as we know it (the gas operated .50 AE, .44 Mag, .357 Mag) is one of the most impractical side-arms ever invented. The only real-world use would be bear hunting. 

I don't think the IDF uses the Desert Eagle as we know it, but rather the Jericho 941, which is basically a clone of the CZ-75. 

The Desert Eagle as we know it (the gas operated .50 AE, .44 Mag, .357 Mag) is one of the most impractical side-arms ever invented. The only real-world use would be bear hunting. 

yeah, you're right.

i've heard the story about Desert Eagles and Israeli road blocks and engine blocks and blah blah blah but ive never actually seen that legitimately confirmed.

the DE is so unnecessarily large and impractical that no actual military force would ever consider fielding it.

i genuinely hope it never even comes close to being in Squad.

the Jericho 941 or CZ-75, however, would both be welcomed!

yeah, you're right.

i've heard the story about Desert Eagles and Israeli road blocks and engine blocks and blah blah blah but ive never actually seen that legitimately confirmed.

the DE is so unnecessarily large and impractical that no actual military force would ever consider fielding it.

i genuinely hope it never even comes close to being in Squad. 

the Jericho 941 or CZ-75, however, would both be welcomed!

Yeah DE are overrated and really not practical. Surprised no one mentioned the Sig P226, now THAT is a combat pistol. 

Hmmm...

- AK-9 for Russia SF or airbourne

- SKS for insurgents (Love this little rifle!)

- FAL/L1A1

- SVDK (super Dragnunov as I like to call it!)

Also regarding large calibre pistols, realistically, the largest calibre gun that has a chance of making it into the game is the .357 MR-73 which is used with some of the internal forces of France and some African countries.

Yeah DE are overrated and really not practical. Surprised no one mentioned the Sig P226, now THAT is a combat pistol. 

I don't live in the UK so I wouldn't know, but haven't the Brits replaced it with the Glock 17 by this point?

I don't live in the UK so I wouldn't know, but haven't the Brits replaced it with the Glock 17 by this point?

AFAIK, Glock should replace old trusty Hi-Power. P226 wouldn't be replaced, because it wasn't really adopted as standard sidearm. Some SIGs were bought as Urgent Operational Requerement for troops deployed in A-stan.

Upd: better to ask Melbo or somebody else from UK.

I'd like to see some Hk weapons in the game, with the Hk416/Hk417 in particular.  Both so there is a choice in balistics/velocity/impact as suggested in the main post, which is a great suggestion.

These are really good rifles, more accurate, more durable and have a higher ROF than the m16/m4. Currently they are rather new and mostly used by more advanced infantry units, so it could be a class specific weapon.

(They'd be even better if weapon malfunctions or durability through sand and mud would be implemented in the game.)

things.... k

AFAIK, Glock should replace old trusty Hi-Power. P226 wouldn't be replaced, because it wasn't really adopted as standard sidearm. Some SIGs were bought as Urgent Operational Requerement for troops deployed in A-stan.

Upd: better to ask Melbo or somebody else from UK.

Correct, Although only around 25,000 were purchased. 

Never used it myself as I managed to escape the forces before they were issued. I used the BHP a few times but on both tours I was issued with the P226.

Armed Forces of Russian Federation DO NOT use AK-104, Vityaz-SN, Gsh-18, shotguns and GM-94.

Right, those are interior forces that use those weapons, but they could be for urban/insurgent scenarios

a well done array of weapons is better than a huge variety. incorporating the EO tech sight for squad leaders in Project Reality was a touch that I really like. the weapon choices in both pr and from what ive seen of squad add authenticity the AK PKM RPG all have there place in modern combat and felt great to use in Pr. your work is appreciated!

Infantry Weapons:

Insurgents:

-MG-42

-K98K/S

Russian Armed Fores:

-AK-12 Weapon Series

-AN-94 (Squad Leader kit only)

-VSS Vintorez

-RPG-32

United States Armed Forces:

-Scar Weapon Series

-H&K 416

-M107A1 Barrett

-AA-12

-MP5

-M32 MGL

Deplayables:

-Deplayable MK19

Mobile Weapon Systems:

Russian Armed Fores:

-2S19 Msta-S

-2S25 Sprut-SD

United States Armed Forces:

-M109 Paladin

-M6 Linebacker

-M1128 MGS

New Kits:

-Heavy Fire Support: Caries a Deplayable Heavy Weapon such as a M2 Browning or Tow with max 2 mags(1 loaded 1 reserve)

I think they should add Anti Material rifles, but only as deployables  for FOBs. Can't have happy bushwookie camper mcgee sitting back on a mountain doing nothing all match. Should be used to engage light vehicles and infantry at longer range with more precision than an MG.

FAMAS is too ugly to play with, one of the reasons I cant play as the French. Its ridiculous.

it still works

One idea of Squad armament is that it reflects basic military armament, not spec ops style "order me this rocket rifle" style.

exactly. It's what I like about PR. No 1337 snipzor crap. Just regular armaments used by regular soldiers. We don't need another super tactical spec ops game.

ITT: People who don't understand what Squad is aiming for :(

They're just shooting ideas around.