dvsilverwing

The Weapons Thread!

1 minute ago, Nikko B said:

Never heard of this 'Gary',

...I don't really care about bad press or what not, just the idea is a bit much for me. 

Gary is a garbage truck in PR that is a VBIED. It's very large and creates a gigantic explosion when it detonates. Big enough that you can be doing your thing on one side of the map and hear a violent but muffled boom in the distance and you hope he got one of the Blufor vehicles.

Regarding the last part I have in the quote box, that is the single biggest issue I have with the dislike of the VBIED idea. I do not understand how it would be bad press for the game at all. I cannot see any headlines of local newspapers, blogs, news stations, or anything else saying "Terrorist training video game lets you kill American soldiers with car bombs".

It truly has no political attachment to it unless you give it one.

3 hours ago, Rybec said:

"Terrorist training video game lets you kill American soldiers with car bombs".

No, I really don't think this would be an issue. I just think it's going a bit far.

I mean it's comparable to Japanese suicide bombers in WW2; it's controversial and people have touchy feelings about the subject.

2 minutes ago, Nikko B said:

No, I really don't think this would be an issue. I just think it's going a bit far.

I mean it's comparable to Japanese suicide bombers in WW2; it's controversial and people have touchy feelings about the subject.

It's comparable to a lot of things. Killing people with guns, people burning inside vehicles, not being able to play as a female character, destroying the environment etc etc

4 hours ago, Peerun said:

not being able to play as a female character,

Ah yes, I remember this.

Back when BF1 release, apparently it was 'sexist' because there were no female soldiers. 

8 hours ago, Rybec said:

Gary is a garbage truck in PR that is a VBIED. It's very large and creates a gigantic explosion when it detonates. Big enough that you can be doing your thing on one side of the map and hear a violent but muffled boom in the distance and you hope he got one of the Blufor vehicles.

Regarding the last part I have in the quote box, that is the single biggest issue I have with the dislike of the VBIED idea. I do not understand how it would be bad press for the game at all. I cannot see any headlines of local newspapers, blogs, news stations, or anything else saying "Terrorist training video game lets you kill American soldiers with car bombs".

It truly has no political attachment to it unless you give it one.

The same could go for being a terrorist and shooting them, if people think it's going too far then the whole game is too far. You're already shooting US soldiers as taliban why not go the whole way?

Decision was already made and finalized.   VIEDs are not in thier development plans.  Right now they are focused on adding factions, air assets, maps, and heavy vehicles in the next year.

We could always use modders to put in these assets into the game.

4 minutes ago, naezro said:

heavy vehicles

Like tanks? I always thought they would leave out tanks, or anything that heavy, so as to not stray away from infantry and squads.

20 minutes ago, Nikko B said:

Like tanks? I always thought they would leave out tanks, or anything that heavy, so as to not stray away from infantry and squads.

Combined arms has always been the vision for the game.   They are ramping up the heavy vehicle assets so that the game is still balanced.   You can check out the Javelin model they made a few months ago.  That thing is ready.

I'm certainly not complaining, I would love to see some heavy assets. I've seen the javelin, I just figured it would be mostly anti-vehicle, and not anti-tank. @naezro

Edited by Nikko B

Remember that tanks and other heavy assets won't be on every single map and when they are they won't be respawning anytime soon or at all.

On 12/7/2016 at 9:30 PM, Nikko B said:

I guess my point is, there's no skill involved. Granted, the CROWS don't require much skill, nor an RPG, but come on. A suicide class/vehicle? I think we can live without players screaming "ALLAHUUUUUU AKBARRRRRR!" as they drive their suicide car into a humvee and detonate themselves.

Actually, reading what I just typed, that sounds hilarious.

Getting close to a player doesn't require skill. Squads flank other squads or FOBs easily, and come within point blank range. It's not rare, and it doesn't require skill to keep quiet.

Also, yes, I'm American. I think virtually killing a digital person is fine, but representing a person committing suicide to kill his enemies...? That doesn't seem right to me.

Granted, I do cover jeeps/dirtbikes with C4 and drive screaming "JEEP STUFF" as I plunge myself into an enemy vehicle... But that's besides the point.

you contradict yourself alot here. and to every one claiming VBIED's and suiciders are ****ed up, how? what context in a WAR game makes this ****ed up or disrespectful? implemented right it would add a good layer to insurgents as they do this in real life. getting close to the enemy is pretty tough actually if they are smart, so what im seeing is people are too sensitive to have VBIEDs and suiciders in the game lol. wow.

Edited by khan_artist9000

On 12/8/2016 at 4:42 PM, Nikko B said:

japanese kamakaze pilots? lol who has touchy feelings about shit done in ww2?! our grandfathers who dont play video games, and most have passed on god bless their souls, so whats the problem? the amount of sensitivity towards WAR games is too much lol. so much contradiction. we may as well not make or play WAR anymore. shooting a virtual character is too much, being historically accurate is too much, simulating any type of human suffering or conflict is OUT of the question. game should just stop being developed LMFAO. hell at the very least with your sensibilities, they need to remove blood, the gurgling of blood when dying in the field waiting for a medic, the dying heartbeat sound, any death animation, we should just shoot flowers at each other because realism is not the aim of SQUAD apparently

Edited by khan_artist9000

@khan_artist9000I'm not going to continue arguing. The devs already concluded they won't be adding them, so let's leave it at that. That's my opinion, and that's what I'm going to stick with.

5 minutes ago, Nikko B said:

@khan_artist9000I'm not going to continue arguing. The devs already concluded they won't be adding them, so let's leave it at that. That's my opinion, and that's what I'm going to stick with.

That's the end of that. So play nice @khan_artist9000

Will things like TOW-Tripods or SPG-9 Tripods be added to the deployable/buildable assets rather than being in pre-placed locations?

Also, saw it mentioned in the Kickstarter somewhere, what kinds of Anti-Aircraft deployables will we be getting?

6 hours ago, TheScruffman said:

Will things like TOW-Tripods or SPG-9 Tripods be added to the deployable/buildable assets rather than being in pre-placed locations?

Also, saw it mentioned in the Kickstarter somewhere, what kinds of Anti-Aircraft deployables will we be getting?

I'd imagine static Igla's and Stingers.

Seeing as this thread is for weapons, is there an equivalent thread for vehicles we'd like to see added to the game? Search function doesn't turn up anything unfortunately. Would like to see the unarmed version of the Humvee with the open back to be used as a transport in-between the current armed Humvee and the big trucks.

On 1/26/2017 at 3:59 PM, TheScruffman said:

Seeing as this thread is for weapons, is there an equivalent thread for vehicles we'd like to see added to the game? Search function doesn't turn up anything unfortunately. Would like to see the unarmed version of the Humvee with the open back to be used as a transport in-between the current armed Humvee and the big trucks.

Yes there are.

9 hours ago, naezro said:

Yes there are.

Aren't those just lists of CONFIRMED vehicles, not vehicles you would like to see implemented at a certain point? Discussions seem to be heading in a slightly different direction on those threads than within this thread.

On 1/28/2017 at 0:00 PM, TheScruffman said:

Aren't those just lists of CONFIRMED vehicles, not vehicles you would like to see implemented at a certain point? Discussions seem to be heading in a slightly different direction on those threads than within this thread.

A few minutes of searching I found this. 

VERY sad to hear no VBIEDs :'(

If you look at ANY "insurgent war footage" video you will see them.

It seems like a perfect fit having a suicide belt on the motorbikes.

Thats a SHAME. I thought we were focusing on A-symmetrical warfare.

I guess Ill just be ditching right before impact; then going boom.If there are (remote) IEDs, thats how everyone will use them anyway. Might as well add the real thing.

I know this thread is kind of old but I had a thought worth sharing on a deployable that I think would be easy to implement, add to immersion and play an important role in building a sweet FOB.

My idea is camo nets to better hide wooded fobs. As many of you have seen most fobs are build in high walled, well defendable areas, preferably close to a flag. But sometimes I like to set up in the woods in-between objectives to offer better troop movement to more flags. The only downside to this is a giant hesco structure tends to stick out in the woods a bit. 

If we had some kind of camo nets to cover them with (or carpets for insergent forces) it could offer us more versatile fob options.

What better time to implement this than when helicopters enter the scene. I can forsee those high walled obvious fobs becoming increasingly obsolete to far away chopper fire. A camoflauged wooded fob may be a more viable option in the near future. 

27 minutes ago, SonofMarsV said:

camo nets

I like it. The maps vary in color so much I wonder how difficult it would be to actually make it disrupt the look of the radio.