dvsilverwing

The Weapons Thread!

21 hours ago, KTMR29 said:

A545 design is finalised. The only thing that was added is a new location for the cleaning rod, it is now on the right side of the receiver just under the ejection port, or that will be added is a probable full stock and full length rail for attachments. The rifle ergonomics will not change.

The AEK and A545 are not prototypes but functional rifles on their own right. AEK and A545 is like calling the M4 and M4A1 SOPMOD a prototype.

Also a new muzzle brake, upper reciever rear clamp, shape of lower reciever and several other changes. Looks like they are trying to prepare A-545 for mass manufacturing and bring down the manufacturing price. No chances though.

15 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

They HK21 line is neat and I'm pretty sure a decent number of African militaries use them, so it would make sense if they made an African map and put them in the hands of rebels or something along those lines. 

You're not alone in wanting to see oddball weapons, but the question is what their alternative will be. In PR they had a tendency to shoehorn these crap weapons into specific roles that then went unused because militia teams never had to worry about their respawns as long as they were good enough at eradicating the enemy team. Looking at PR today it's not uncommon to see militia factions go without medics entirely because they do nothing but take a shooter out of the squad. 

The A545 is finalized but it's still unused. Even the AK-12 was nixed for the third time in favor of another rifle called the AK-12, which is pretty much a more streamlined AK-74M Naval Upgrade Kit. The chances of the A545 being adopted and used are incredibly slim, but if anyone gets them it'll be the VDV (which would be fine because, canonically, it would be best to see the VDV as RUSFOR considering how well equipped they are). 

Wrong, the A545 is on troops trials as of now along with the AK-400 aka New AK-12 and the AK74MR.The problem is that both previous weapons have been adopted and given GRAU moniker. Don't make me post video of three rifles, I don't want to do it.

1 hour ago, ZiGreen said:

Also a new muzzle brake, upper reciever rear clamp, shape of lower reciever and several other changes. Looks like they are trying to prepare A-545 for mass manufacturing and bring down the manufacturing price. No chances though.

I can't like your post for some reason so here it is. 

1 like.

Can you post the videos, nothing really relevant is coming up to for me. Can be russian too, just interested in the slideshow. (video lol)

On 6/1/2015 at 5:08 AM, dvsilverwing said:

So, inevitably, people will be posting threads about what weapons they want to see in the game. I didn't see a stickied "weapons suggestion" thread like they have with faction suggestions, so why not congregate it all into a single thread?

What weapons, kits, equipment, and deployables would you guys like to see be added to Squad? Right now I'd limit suggestions to the Taliban and US Army team, as that's all we'll likely be seeing in the near future and in the first playable releases after the Kickstarter.

The Irregular forces (like those in PR) are always fun to have in a game, as they allow a team to have a wide variety of weapons and equipment, while standard forces like the US Army are generally stuck with having standard issue Milspec gear.

I'd like to see a choice between the RPK-74 (with 45 round or drum mag options) and the RPK (30 round, 40 round, or drum mag options) for the AR of the Taliban team and a PKM and DP-28 would both be good choices for the Machine Gunner as well (I feel the DP-28 should be delegated to the MG role instead of the AR role simply because it's more comparable to the PKM considering they're both firing the 7.62x54r). With the ballistics system they have planned to implement I think the choice between a 5.45x39 or 7.62x39 as an AR provides a legitimate choice as you have to consider the advantages/drawbacks of each of them; their penetrating power, the raw force with which they hit, the velocity they're going to be flying at, the recoil you'll have to deal with for each, and the capacity you'll have with their respective mags. The same goes for a standard Rifleman, the choice between an AK-74/AKS-74 and AKM/AKMS (minus the magazine size variable). There is also the fact that 5.45 is smaller and lighter, I don't find it unreasonable to factor that into the game by differing the amount of magazines you're carrying depending on the round your chosen weapon is firing.

In addition to the SVD for the Marksman, I'd love to see a scoped AK-74/AKS-74 or AKM/AKMS. They had the scoped AK-74 on the Spotter kit of a lot of the irregular teams, and it was criminally underrated as a kit and weapon, I loved using it but never saw many others using it, and again I think the option makes the Marksman a more versatile class, while the SVD is obviously being a better choice past medium distances, an AK-74/AKS-74 or AKM/AKMS with a PSO is going to perform better up to medium distances where you don't really need the extra power of the 54r and would be better off with the extra capacity of a 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. An unscoped Mauser, Lee Enfield, or Mosin Nagant would also be a great choice for the Marksman class, but once you put a scope on them I'd probably throw them into more of a "sniper" style class due to the nature of a bolt action rifle with a high magnification scope being borderline useless in any close range engagements (especially compared to an SVD or AK variant with backup irons or a bolt action with no magnification).

Not sure what class it would fit into well, but a G3 wouldn't be out of the question either. They're are plenty of images of Taliban fighers where one or two of them are carrying a G3, I assume they're probably stolen from coalition or police forces but I really don't know, they seem to get ahold of them somehow or another though. I'd also love to see an SKS in there, but again, I'm not sure where it would fit in.

As for the AKS-74u, I think classes like AA or AT, carrying whatever launcher and warhead they're given, should probably be given something like an AKS-74u, SKS, or PPSH instead of a full-size rifle or carbine. That's really the only way I can think of giving those type of weapons to the team without making them too common. I don't think they're common enough to give to a standard Medic or Rifleman, so I think limiting them to the AT/AA classes would be a good compromise for including them in a way that makes sense (the AT/AA class themselves shouldn't be focusing on long range infantry engagements, they should really be focusing on what their class is intended for; armor and aircraft, respectively). You could also make a second Rifleman class that was limited in numbers (in comparison to the unlimited amount of standard Rifleman that you can have on a team/in a squad) that could have the G3 and AKS-74u or SKS as weapon options.

As a side note, a TT-33 would be a good alternative secondary for the team. I would say a Browning HP, but there'd be no reason to take the Makarov at that point. Why take 8 rounds of 9x18 when you can have 13 rounds of 9x19?

As for the US team it's a little more difficult. You're kind of stuck with the standard issue weapons when it comes down to it, the saving grace of the teams weapon variety is going to come down to attachments (foregrips, optics, etc.) so there can be a couple variations on the same weapon. Obviously an M4 with your choice of optics/attachments for the Rifleman is what we're going to see. The AR will see the M249 with, again, their choice of optics, and I assume much like the RPK the M249 will get a choice of either a 100 round bag or 200 round box. The M240b for the Machine Gunner would, again, get a choice of optics. A neat feature to include if at all possible would be a kit specifically designed to support the M240b gunner, carrying belts of ammo to feed to him and a tripod to set up. As for the DM, I suppose a choice of an SDM-R or an M4 with an Acog would be neat, but a little redundant. Not sure if the Army has issued a DM variant of the M14, but if so that would be a great choice as well.

As for deployables, I'm really hoping to see mortars again. I loved using them in Project Reality, and they were infinitely useful if you had a good squad running them.

Otherwise, I'm sure a lot of other posters have some great ideas on this, feel free to share them!

I feel like they just used your post as a guide for a decent amount of what they have done since you posted this.

An improvised grenade launcher can be part of alternative grenadier kit for insurgent or militia faction.  Shooting is slowly and grenades doesn't explode on impact, but this can be compensated by increasing amount of grenades.

Spoiler

s_s25_RTR3DJAR-660x445.jpeg

6015395.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-04-30-at-10.45.01-PM.pn

Reviving old thread... Suggestion for Insurgents, croatian 5.56 VHS-1/2 assault rifles, extensively used by Asad forces, Kurds, Iraq military and even ISIS. 

CQhu0mSWwAAY2h5.jpgCQhu0oHWEAA60Eb.jpgCH9i4YNWIAAG-wF.jpgCaTi3LbW0AA9Nfz.jpgClt7-WBWAAE78QH.jpgClqg8nOWgAAGivq.jpg

7 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

Reviving old thread... Suggestion for Insurgents, croatian 5.56 VHS-1/2 assault rifles, extensively used by Asad forces, Kurds, Iraq military and even ISIS. 

CQhu0mSWwAAY2h5.jpg

Why is the trigger tied back like that? Can someone please explain?

1 hour ago, catbref said:

Why is the trigger tied back like that? Can someone please explain?

To fix the fire selector / safety lever.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by ZiGreen

hi guys 

Everybody posting and asking about that old fashioned guns its more cliche than sugestion... But i am wondering if we will see some modern guns in the game such as SCAR, ACR, MASADA, M32 MGL etc etc ? plus are you thnking about customizable classes ? that you can change the gun the optic or red dot sights type foregrip etc ? 

Sorry if you already discuss this questions but i cant find it thats why i am asking thank you 

11 minutes ago, Sevro said:

hi guys 

Everybody posting and asking about that old fashioned guns its more cliche than sugestion... But i am wondering if we will see some modern guns in the game such as SCAR, ACR, MASADA, M32 MGL etc etc ? plus are you thnking about customizable classes ? that you can change the gun the optic or red dot sights type foregrip etc ? 

Sorry if you already discuss this questions but i cant find it thats why i am asking thank you 

Limited weapon customization is planned, likely in terms of changing weapon optics. The mentioned weapons won't be implemented because they are not used on a standard-issue level by any of the factions in-game. Weapons aren't implemented simply because they're "cool", they're implemented on a basis of which factions would realistically use them. Of those, the only one you might end up seeing is the M32, if a USMC faction ever makes an appearance.

10 minutes ago, Aniallator said:

Limited weapon customization is planned, likely in terms of changing weapon optics. The mentioned weapons won't be implemented because they are not used on a standard-issue level by any of the factions in-game. Weapons aren't implemented simply because they're "cool", they're implemented on a basis of which factions would realistically use them. Of those, the only one you might end up seeing is the M32, if a USMC faction ever makes an appearance.

Thank you for response i am appreciated for that. You guys doing a good job 

somethings i would love to see in this game idk if this belongs in weapons or what discussion but i believe that the Taliban units should have a suicide bomber class/ability, including up to suicide vehicles rigged with explosives. its realistic and it adds a big differential in play style for that faction as they are pretty under powered and play just like every other faction yet they have no tech. i also believe that they should be slightly faster on the feet since they dont have armor and all that, really get the guerilla feel more in tune with reality. 

Most of the other weapons i want to see in here are already there or in the works apparently and or will be added as a mod thankfully :)

list just cause

240B

M24

M40 (for marines if added)

MK.19 grenade launcher for HMMVS

MK. 47 striker (tripod grenada launcher)

M32 grenade launcher

javelin

PKP pecheneg

Rg6 grenade launcher for russians unless they have a new one.

On 12/5/2016 at 7:15 PM, khan_artist9000 said:

somethings i would love to see in this game idk if this belongs in weapons or what discussion but i believe that the Taliban units should have a suicide bomber class/ability, including up to suicide vehicles rigged with explosives. its realistic and it adds a big differential in play style for that faction as they are pretty under powered and play just like every other faction yet they have no tech...

There will be no Suicide bombers or VIEDs in the vanilla game because those item are too contrevorsial.

Javelins are already planned.  You can expect the PKP, PKM, m240, and other GPMGs to make it into the game.

Now what I REALLY want to see is Optic systems for the RPG and SPG with the correct grid style sights. It would greatly help lead shots for moving vehicles and sight in at great distances.

Suicide vests/cars are a no-go. Wouldn't you feel cheated if a guy walks into a fob and detonates himself? Or suicide cars just slamming into humvees and blowing up? I would feel cheated honestly, it really has no place in this game. Not to mention it's pretty f*cked up.

8 minutes ago, Nikko B said:

Suicide vests/cars are a no-go. Wouldn't you feel cheated if a guy walks into a fob and detonates himself? Or suicide cars just slamming into humvees and blowing up? I would feel cheated honestly, it really has no place in this game. Not to mention it's pretty f*cked up.

Someone hasn't been on the receiving end of a Gary!

Gary or riot.

1 hour ago, Melbo said:

Gary or riot.

oh sweet jesus. Those things are a heartbreaker. 

They work in PR and nobody bats an eye. Shame really.

Totally agree, but for a comercialized game they dont want any negative press.

Im almost 100% sure someone will just mod it into the game.

If you guys saw last month's recap. The future of IEDs and AT Mines looks promising.  I am pleased to see that.

Edited by naezro

1 hour ago, Nikko B said:

Wouldn't you feel cheated if a guy walks into a fob and detonates himself? Or suicide cars just slamming into humvees and blowing up? I would feel cheated honestly, it really has no place in this game. Not to mention it's pretty f*cked up.

Do you feel cheated when you get killed with an M203? An RPG? A CROWS humvee?

If someone can get close enough to detonate a VBIED, you screwed up. Especially in PR where cars are quick but very fragile, it keeps vehicle crews on their toes when they're otherwise shooting at farmers with AKs.

Again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with putting VBIEDs in the game. It only has the context that you attach to it. I like using the comparison that you are killing American soldier characters ingame, if you're American that's pretty ****ed up too, isn't it?

37 minutes ago, Rybec said:

Do you feel cheated when you get killed with an M203? An RPG? A CROWS humvee?

If someone can get close enough to detonate a VBIED, you screwed up. Especially in PR where cars are quick but very fragile, it keeps vehicle crews on their toes when they're otherwise shooting at farmers with AKs.

Again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with putting VBIEDs in the game. It only has the context that you attach to it. I like using the comparison that you are killing American soldier characters ingame, if you're American that's pretty ****ed up too, isn't it?

I guess my point is, there's no skill involved. Granted, the CROWS don't require much skill, nor an RPG, but come on. A suicide class/vehicle? I think we can live without players screaming "ALLAHUUUUUU AKBARRRRRR!" as they drive their suicide car into a humvee and detonate themselves.

Actually, reading what I just typed, that sounds hilarious.

Getting close to a player doesn't require skill. Squads flank other squads or FOBs easily, and come within point blank range. It's not rare, and it doesn't require skill to keep quiet.

Also, yes, I'm American. I think virtually killing a digital person is fine, but representing a person committing suicide to kill his enemies...? That doesn't seem right to me.

Granted, I do cover jeeps/dirtbikes with C4 and drive screaming "JEEP STUFF" as I plunge myself into an enemy vehicle... But that's besides the point.

2 hours ago, Nikko B said:

Also, yes, I'm American. I think virtually killing a digital person is fine, but representing a person committing suicide to kill his enemies...? That doesn't seem right to me.

It's virtually the same thing as running into a compound full of enemies on your own. It's suicide and you do it in order to kill your enemies - the only difference is that with a bomb car there is a much bigger chance that you'll actually destroy the asset/kill the enemy.

5 hours ago, Nikko B said:

No, I wouldn't They're a no-go because of "muh feelings" and nothing else. Proper discussion has been had about it and has been shut down already. I wouldn't feel cheated because I let a big old truck full of explosives get close enough to me to kill me. 

5 hours ago, Melbo said:

Gary or riot.

This.

I guess my point is, there's no skill involved. Granted, the CROWS don't require much skill, nor an RPG, but come on. A suicide class/vehicle? I think we can live without players screaming "ALLAHUUUUUU AKBARRRRRR!" as they drive their suicide car into a humvee and detonate themselves.

Actually, reading what I just typed, that sounds hilarious.

Getting close to a player doesn't require skill. Squads flank other squads or FOBs easily, and come within point blank range. It's not rare, and it doesn't require skill to keep quiet.

Granted, I do cover jeeps/dirtbikes with C4 and drive screaming "JEEP STUFF" as I plunge myself into an enemy vehicle... But that's besides the point.

There's no skill involved? Clearly you've never played PR, let alone as Gary. Gary takes a shitload of skill. You're a target the size of most buildings that everyone from infantry to helicopters will shoot at just to destroy you so you can cause damage. Ever tried sneaking around in a big red garbage truck? It isn't easy. 

Play PR, then we'll talk about how much skill VBIEDs require. 

there's no skill involved.

I'm going to entirely disregard your post right there.

Driving a vehicle to exactly where you want when there are armed vehicles, grenadiers, LAT riflemen... Anything. That's quite a feat. People will light you up the instant they see you because VBIEDs are a great danger.

How do you feel about grenades as an example?

How much skill does it take to throw a grenade into a building or compound and kill one or more guys that way? Absolutely none I guess, right? It's much preferable that the rifleman goes and clears it out with his rifle since that takes quicker reactions on his part, yeah?

Saying it takes no skill is entirely in the wrong direction. Taking an asymmetrical faction like insurgents and giving them asymmetrical weapons go hand in hand.

13 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

There's no skill involved? Clearly you've never played PR, let alone as Gary. Gary takes a shitload of skill. You're a target the size of most buildings that everyone from infantry to helicopters will shoot at just to destroy you so you can cause damage. Ever tried sneaking around in a big red garbage truck? It isn't easy. 

That's very true. I've never played PR, I just jumped into Squad because I wanted something that involved more teamwork. Never heard of this 'Gary', but I'll take your word for it. As for the 'No skill' thing, I was mostly referring to the suicide vest. If you're in a jam, just press the button and take your enemies with you instead of fighting it out. 

13 hours ago, Rybec said:

Driving a vehicle to exactly where you want when there are armed vehicles, grenadiers, LAT riflemen... Anything. That's quite a feat. People will light you up the instant they see you because VBIEDs are a great danger.

Again, very true. I know even BTRs and humvees get taken down easily, so I don't doubt that Gary here would suffer just as badly. I just don't want something like this in Squad. It's just my opinion, I don't really care about bad press or what not, just the idea is a bit much for me.