dvsilverwing

The Weapons Thread!

Oh, not exactly a weapon suggestion, but how common are Grip Pods (or grippods) in the Army relative to KAC foregrips? I heard that they won a contract with the US Armed Forces and were used in Afghanistan. People I spoke to also seemed to like their grippods a lot.

Do you think these stuff would be nice to see in the game, especially if their bipods had some functionality? An M68 and a top-mounted AN/PEQ-15 and a Grip Pod, throw on KAC rail covers and I'm all in. <3

Of course, I'm not saying they should take priority over GPMGs, shotguns and animation changes, but I do kinda hope there's something in store for them, especially if the Marines come in with their M16A4s :D

I'm sure someone with actual experience in the military can give you a more accurate picture, but from what I understand grip pods are more of a Marine Corps thing. That being said, I've used grip pods and I know tons of people who have used them in service and nobody likes them so they tend to ditch them first chance they get just because they're a shitty bipod, a shitty grip, and extremely heavy. Of course, another thing you have to look at is that some units (I want to say mostly at the platoon level) have their shit standardized by Junior Officers who think they know everything about how the world works (one of my buddy's had a 2LT standardize their entire plate carrier loadout in such a way that left handed people can't properly aim their rifles, all for the sake of uniformity). Because of this, some LTs standardize grip pods of KAC grips to be used and so everyone has to use them whether they like them or not simply because officers are always right. 

Grip pods do indeed have a military contract but like I said I don't know anyone who has ever liked them. Some guys throw them on their rifle so that they can stand them up out of the sand but I can't imagine anyone actually choosing to use one over a dedicated foregrip or dedicated bipod. Another thing I'd like to reiterate is the fact that grip pods make terrible bipods. They're far inferior to just throwing a swivel mounted bipod onto a stud on your rail and throwing on a KAC vertical grip and having two great pieces of kit rather than one jumbled mess rolled into one. It wouldn't kill me (or anyone) to see them in game, but honestly I'd rather not see them over the KAC vertical grips, but them making an appearance beside the KAC grip would be fine in my opinion. Also, pretty sure AFGs were popular in the military for awhile, but Magpul doesn't have a military contract for the AFG or anything else.

Don't know, heard (mostly read, though) a lot of good reviews on military grippods. They are not supposed to replace normal bipod, it is good enough for stabilizing carbine.

Lets wait what our community vets gonna say.

P.S. Yes, AFG is too tactical for this game.

I'm sure someone with actual experience in the military can give you a more accurate picture, but from what I understand grip pods are more of a Marine Corps thing. That being said, I've used grip pods and I know tons of people who have used them in service and nobody likes them so they tend to ditch them first chance they get just because they're a shitty bipod, a shitty grip, and extremely heavy. Of course, another thing you have to look at is that some units (I want to say mostly at the platoon level) have their shit standardized by Junior Officers who think they know everything about how the world works (one of my buddy's had a 2LT standardize their entire plate carrier loadout in such a way that left handed people can't properly aim their rifles, all for the sake of uniformity). Because of this, some LTs standardize grip pods of KAC grips to be used and so everyone has to use them whether they like them or not simply because officers are always right. 

Grip pods do indeed have a military contract but like I said I don't know anyone who has ever liked them. Some guys throw them on their rifle so that they can stand them up out of the sand but I can't imagine anyone actually choosing to use one over a dedicated foregrip or dedicated bipod. Another thing I'd like to reiterate is the fact that grip pods make terrible bipods. They're far inferior to just throwing a swivel mounted bipod onto a stud on your rail and throwing on a KAC vertical grip and having two great pieces of kit rather than one jumbled mess rolled into one. It wouldn't kill me (or anyone) to see them in game, but honestly I'd rather not see them over the KAC vertical grips, but them making an appearance beside the KAC grip would be fine in my opinion. Also, pretty sure AFGs were popular in the military for awhile, but Magpul doesn't have a military contract for the AFG or anything else.

Grippods exist purely to keep your rifle out of the dirt while you eat/do whatever. However, even with how shitty the actual "bipods" were, I never felt like I was at a disadvantage, or needed a different one. Arguing vertical grips is entirely semantics. They're all pieces of plastic. 

Grippods exist purely to keep your rifle out of the dirt while you eat/do whatever. However, even with how shitty the actual "bipods" were, I never felt like I was at a disadvantage, or needed a different one. Arguing vertical grips is entirely semantics. They're all pieces of plastic. 

Pretty much.

Gripods were standard issue in both the units I served and most Marines just kept them because it was free and really no different than any other vertical grip. Although there definitely were people who had been in a while that still had their KACs from when those were being mass distributed.

Now comparing to stubbys or AFG is a different matter. We did have several Marines use MAGPUL AFGs, but that was their own decision and our unit allowed it.

Edited by SgtRoss
AFGs are not "too tacticool" for this game. Several Marines I knew had them and used them.

I meant grunts bought magpul stuff for their own money. It could be not only Magpul, but a grip from any other manufacturer.

Would grips actually affect the way recoil was handled? I always thought the "reduced recoil" was CoD annd BF bullshizz.

Nope. The weapon is always going to recoil the same amount, no matter what grip you buy. Grips are purely for ergonomics/shooter comfort. 

Don't know, heard (mostly read, though) a lot of good reviews on military grippods. They are not supposed to replace normal bipod, it is good enough for stabilizing carbine.

Lets wait what our community vets gonna say.

P.S. Yes, AFG is too tactical for this game.

I know that the ones used by the military are extremely expensive, but I've had the chance to handle them and personally, along with the personal opinions of all of my buddies, I/we think they're trash. Even with the understanding that they're supposed to stabilize a carbine, the better option would be for the military to get a better freefloat handguard than the RIS/RAS so that they could rest the rifle on the handguard rather than requiring a modified grip that allows for the weapon to be stabilized .

Of course, everyone here is going to have their opinions about the grip pod (at least, those that have used them) and I'm sure that most people won't really give a shit because they're a grip that saves the soldiers money as they don't have to spend their own paychecks for something they might like. I'd rather have a free grip pod than not have one, because worst comes to worst you take it off your rifle.

Pretty much.

Gripods were standard issue in both the units I served and most Marines just kept them because it was free and really no different than any other vertical grip. Although there definitely were people who had been in a while that still had their KACs from when those were being mass distributed.

Now comparing to stubbys or AFG is a different matter. We did have several Marines use MAGPUL AFGs, but that was their own decision and our unit allowed it.

This sums it up pretty well. It's better than nothing and grips are personal taste. Personally I dislike grip pods because I think they're a heavy compromise piece that sacrifices both comfort and structural integrity for a shoehorned in bipod, but others won't be bothered by it or will find it useful because where I shoot for hobby/sport others have shot to live and have to carry their rifle with them every day, and lord knows I'd rather have a grip pod to get the weapon out of the sand rather than have to strap that shit to me all day every day. Personally of the two I prefer the KAC or just a handstop, but obviously I think what matters here would be realism (which, if grippods were added, you could always randomize them with the KAC grip as both would be in the game at that point and, as SgtRoss pointed out, some people still had them when he was in.)

Also, as for the AFG, they seem to be decently popular and personally I wouldn't have a problem seeing them added. Of course, I'm not going to rail for them either because it's just a visual accessory.

Would grips actually affect the way recoil was handled? I always thought the "reduced recoil" was CoD annd BF bullshizz.

It won't change the way recoil is put out by the rifle (well, not in a noticeable way since grips usually don't weigh a lot) but most people will find that a vertical or angled grip will give them better leverage which will allow them to get a better hold on the rifle so that they can control recoil better. The way you handle recoil depends heavily on shooting position, accessories, and stance. 

I meant grunts bought magpul stuff for their own money. It could be not only Magpul, but a grip from any other manufacturer.

Most grunts stick to Magpul because it's common and cheap, though some do spring for shit like LMT SOPMOD stocks and other shit like that. 

Just want to confirm with someone who knows more about guns than me, these are PM-63's?

13922_Cuban02_a.jpg

Edit: They seem a bit big, perhaps they could be Vz.23's.

Definitely Vz.23s. Those things are massive.

Every time I see PM63 I think of the Romanian AK with the DD foregrip lol.

I hope for Insurgent flavor (Taliban) they randomize the 7.62 AK you get.  It'd make sense, in one photo of Taliban you're likely to see several different ak variants.  AKM, PM63, Type 56, Yugo M70B1, AMD65, AKM63, MPi-KM, Type 68's.  The list goes on and on.

Every time I see PM63 I think of the Romanian AK with the DD foregrip lol.

I hope for Insurgent flavor (Taliban) they randomize the 7.62 AK you get.  It'd make sense, in one photo of Taliban you're likely to see several different ak variants.  AKM, PM63, Type 56, Yugo M70B1, AMD65, AKM63, MPi-KM, Type 68's.  The list goes on and on.

Haha I know what you mean because I think I've called my PM md.63 a PM63 a few times here on these forums which can breed confusion. It's a really similar designation which really plays tricks on the brain.

The md.63 is currently in the game but it's only available to the Insurgent squad leader, which kinda sucks. Hopefully they'll change that in the future, but they might not depending on if they continue on with the "squad leaders get unique weapons" idea which, personally, doesn't help me identify the squad leader at all. As for the other models, Z-Trooper has (unfortunately) said time and time again that they won't "waste" time on more AK models, but maybe in the future he'll change his mind, 

i just wanted to mention (again) that everytime i play the US M4A1 ACOG (Rifleman + Optic) my sensitivity is about 1/2 lower with other weapons than it is normaly. besides that the scope sensitivity on the ACOG is lower than on all other scopes (which is also known) the issue which bothers me the most is that the sensitivity for all other guns after using the M4A1 ACOG is cut in half (about) ... maybe it gets a fix in the next update  :lol:

I'm going to need the RSh-12 in the game for..... Reasons...

0-da524-8fbe3029-XXL-660x468.jpg

Non-Lethal Revlover actually.With ability to use lethal rounds.

Same as KS-23.And same usage.

Non-Lethal Revlover actually.With ability to use lethal rounds.

Same as KS-23.And same usage.

Got any more info on it? Only website google has in Firearm blog...

(BTW I'm not serious, it's just.... 12.7mm revolver dude!)

Speaking of revolvers, what are the odds of an M1895 appearing in the hands of irregular forces?

Maybe not Insurgents cos they were running late Soviet stuff, but the Militia, who are more likely to see Eastern Bloc surplus pistols?

Speaking of revolvers, what are the odds of an M1895 appearing in the hands of irregular forces?

Maybe not Insurgents cos they were running late Soviet stuff, but the Militia, who are more likely to see Eastern Bloc surplus pistols?

makarov is just as common unless you are in bumfuck siberia

and I know which of the two I would pick to go to war

fuck I'd rather have a .455 webley rather than a nagant

Got any more info on it? Only website google has in Firearm blog...

(BTW I'm not serious, it's just.... 12.7mm revolver dude!)

Well Desert Eagle have 12.7(.50AE) too.

And no,I was wrong,this isn't non-lethal.I heard about some sort of such weapon,puprosed for non-lethal usage,but I don't really remember it.

We also almost don't have any info.

But - 2.2kg for sidearm.Thats a lot.

edit.

12.3mm Udar Revolver.

2008031507.jpg

the ACOG sensitivity is great tbh

we need separate sensitivity settings already

I think it's pretty shite, but I agree that we need a separate slider so that we the people can choose.

Development of RSh-12 has been stopped.

Man, why do all the cool revolvers of Russia get cancelled? I wish I had never played Battlefield Bad Company because I genuinely love the MP412 REX, but I'll never own one just because there was no interest in importing the Revolver EXport REX.

makarov is just as common unless you are in bumfuck siberia

and I know which of the two I would pick to go to war

fuck I'd rather have a .455 webley rather than a nagant

.455 Webley isn't a bad round if the guy you're shooting at isn't wearing body armor, which is the case in most modern engagements these days. I'd love a Webley just because top break revolvers are sexy as fuck, and the Webley is also expensive as fuck. That being said, the Nagant revolver is a hefty piece of shit, and I'd actually rather have a trench club then one of those things. At least a trench club can kill a man in one whack.