dvsilverwing

The Weapons Thread!

The Norwegian trials were before the turn of the decade so I'm sure they've ironed out the issues since then. The guns troubles in cold weather are related to the piston freezing during rapid temperature change such as walking out of a warm tent into the cold arctic night. This is an issue that the Norwegians have noted on their AR-15 rifles as well, it's just easier to remedy it with the AR.

Overall the 416 performs quite well against modern AR/AK variants. It is certainly no worse than either of those classic designs.

All piston ARs are absolutely worse than your standard AR. They do nothing better while only adding detriments to the weapon. Also, those problems still persist is what I'm told by the few Norwegians I've talked to.

All AR rifles are piston rifles. Many people mistakenly believe them to be direct gas impingement rifles, but they are not.

All AR rifles are piston rifles. Many people mistakenly believe them to be direct gas impingement rifles, but they are not.

lolwut

The bolt and carrier also function as the piston and cylinder respectively on an AR. Just because they are dual purpose parts, unlike on the AK where the piston and cylinder are separate from the bolt and carrier does not mean that it isn't a piston rifle, because it is.

What the HK and others like it try to do is add an AK style piston system to the contemporary AR design, which doesn't always work out as well as it should in theory.

lolwut

He's correct in a way that gets into technicalities down to the point where it's stupid. The AR, in reality, is not a direct impingement rifle, it's a Stoner gas piston rifle. Basically the bolt itself is a piston as compared to having a big piston riding above the barrel like in an AK or a captive piston like in an FAL. It's correct to call standard ARs a piston rifle (technically), but it's a half-assed "I want to prove I know things about firearms" kinda thing to say because Stoner gas system is the true answer.

The gas system that Stoner designed is for all intents and purposes a piston system though. Some people think it's less reliable than the AK piston system, but it's not.

The gas system that Stoner designed is for all intents and purposes a piston system though. Some people think it's less reliable than the AK piston system, but it's not.

The thing is though that you're bringing up the fact that it's a piston system because you see it as an opportunity to flex your knowledge when in reality all it does it make people who don't know that it's not DI confused and makes people who have more knowledge than you disdainful because you left a vague response that's just technical enough to be correct but not technical enough to satisfy the desire for knowledge of those not in the know. Stoner gas is colloquially (read: wrongly) known as direct impingement because it's more similar to DI than it is to a standard piston design, and it's way too late to go back on it and start calling it the Stoner gas system, so pointing out that you've got a basic grasp on the internal mechanism of then AR is in no way helpful nor did it forward this thread, all it did was make people have less of a grasp on the situation.

Also, yes, anyone who cares has already seen Ian and Carl's video that shows that the AR is more reliable than the AK when it comes to the mud test. We get it, cursory knowledge.

Also maybe a option for the Russian Forces would be the AEK791. Maybe beside the AKM or so... what you think?

Also maybe a option for the Russian Forces would be the AEK791. Maybe beside the AKM or so... what you think?

Nononononono, HELL NO.

Russian Forces: AK-74M, RPK-74M, AKS-74M... whatever is in there.

Heck, the AEK-971 is a prototype, and the one closest to field testing (the A-545) got its ass kicked out in favour of the AK-12. I've a feeling the AEK-971 is just as bad as an AN-94.

AKM, nope, not likely. Last-gen AKs would most likely be AKS-74s if they are even gonna be given to the RGF. Maybe the Ministry of Interior Affairs. They dig 7.62x39mm cos of the penetrative ability in an urban environment. But I wouldn't expect them in this game.

I don't think I've ever met a Marine who's carried or even seen a SMAW in country. I'd say the Carl Gustav is the better option of the two. That being said, the USMC isn't even in the game yet or even planned as far as I know so I don't think it's worth discussion at this point. Also, aren't Russian infantry squads larger than 9? I think that adding an RPG to every 9 man squad might be a bit dangerous in terms of rocket spam, though if that's how it really is I'm sure they could find a way to make it work. 

Going back to the idea of the Javelin, that's something that should definitely be in game as America's HAT class. 

Well,there is already able to have up to 2 RPGs per squad in game.Also it's mirrored(US - M72(x2)).

And we have a troll...

Well,if it's not goto page9 of this thead and read one huge post there.

Are you just upset that I didn't agree with you or what?

No, honestly I couldn't care if you agree with me or not. What I'm saying is that you went in depth just enough to annoy those who know and confused those who don't know in the process. Your comment was completely unnecessary and, less than it added nothing to the conversation, it was a detriment.

Learn to read before posting. The answer is no.

Nononononono, HELL NO.

Russian Forces: AK-74M, RPK-74M, AKS-74M... whatever is in there.

Heck, the AEK-971 is a prototype, and the one closest to field testing (the A-545) got its ass kicked out in favour of the AK-12. I've a feeling the AEK-971 is just as bad as an AN-94.

AKM, nope, not likely. Last-gen AKs would most likely be AKS-74s if they are even gonna be given to the RGF. Maybe the Ministry of Interior Affairs. They dig 7.62x39mm cos of the penetrative ability in an urban environment. But I wouldn't expect them in this game.

Not true, I've got a photo somewhere of some Russian SFs using a few of them in Chechnya but it's a far cry from them worthy of being in game. As for the A545, it was really kicked out for political reasons. It's a fine firearm (hence why Kalashnikov copied the design for the AK-107), but its biggest sin was that it wasn't designed or endorsed by Kalashnikov as well as it's more complicated than one of the simplest firearms on Earth. 

EDIT: found the photo

VNMg2S5.jpg

I believe the title of this thread is called "The Weapons Thread," not the "Weapon Knowledge Wiener Measuring Contest Thread."

Speak to one another civilly about the topic at hand or leave the thread. I'm tired of the conduct I have seen here.

Learn to read before posting. The answer is no.

what did i miss? wtf? are you a Dev or something or just a pain in the ass? All i know - and that is surely not a quarter of your overwhelming, infinite overall knowledge, that Russian special forces use the AEK791 (or some other numbers, but an AEK) ... so wtf?

I believe the title of this thread is called "The Weapons Thread," not the "Weapon Knowledge Wiener Measuring Contest Thread."

Speak to one another civilly about the topic at hand or leave the thread. I'm tired of the conduct I have seen here.

find it funny that our Supremey liked this, because of you, i claim, he made this post ... so lets start to be kind to others, we all love SQUAD and we are (most of us, because you are only 18 - saw it on your profile, and still a smart ass) mature... so lets behave like that ... so my last cents to this topic.. sry but i had the feeling that this had to be said..

what did i miss? wtf? are you a Dev or something or just a pain in the ass? All i know - and that is surely not a quarter of your overwhelming, infinite overall knowledge, that Russian special forces use the AEK791 (or some other numbers, but an AEK) ... so wtf?

No, what you did apparently miss is the massive discussion in this thread where the AEK was discussed. If you consider me a pain in the ass, then chances are I reciprocate the feeling, so don't worry. I linked a single photo of a single soldier using an AEK, that's not proof that they used any beyond that point. On top of this, the modern version of the AEK is the A545, which is unlikely to be adopted, so no, neither of those guns should make an appearance in game.

No, what you did apparently miss is the massive discussion in this thread where the AEK was discussed. If you consider me a pain in the ass, then chances are I reciprocate the feeling, so don't worry. I linked a single photo of a single soldier using an AEK, that's not proof that they used any beyond that point. On top of this, the modern version of the AEK is the A545, which is unlikely to be adopted, so no, neither of those guns should make an appearance in game.

i searched the forums about "AEK" and found .... exactly... NOTHING!!!! and even ... it was just an idea? why are u so mad??? talk to people friendly and they will respones friendly... and now let stop it.. 

the Devs will know how they will make their game.. i am out of this discussion

i searched the forums about "AEK" and found .... exactly... NOTHING!!!! and even ... it was just an idea? why are u so mad??? talk to people friendly and they will respones friendly... and now let stop it.. 

Search A-545. page 13 has a good enough discussion to show why it shouldn't be in game, one I was involved in back then and don't wish to restart now. Also, learn the difference between 'mad' and 'angry.' You're calling me a pain in the ass over telling someone to read the thread, so why would I be nice to you? Prove you're worth being nice to or else my response will be neutral, or, if you make a reply that blatantly ignores the search function, sticky, and rules, it will be negative.

find it funny that our Supremey liked this, because of you, i claim, he made this post ... so lets start to be kind to others, we all love SQUAD and we are (most of us, because you are only 18 - saw it on your profile, and still a smart ass) mature... so lets behave like that ... so my last cents to this topic.. sry but i had the feeling that this had to be said..

I did like his post because the other guy got angry and called me autistic for having to go out of the way and explain how he was wrong about a statement that he made. Besides that, the incident is over, drop it. Also, good job bringing age into things bud. 

Either way, let's try being on-topic from now on, with weapon ideas that are relevant to the reality of the game. 

Guys dammit don't give people a reason to lock it. And regarding the "SpecOps are using it" argument, yes, in small numbers, but the guys here are grunts. No chance of shiny new toys for them sadly.

Z-Trooper also liked samogon's long post on Pg 9 about the Russian loadout, so I guess they share similar sentiments? (I'm just guessing devs, don't kill me!)

Essentially if "We should put it in cos it is russian gun", we may as well just give everyone AK-107s, AK-12s, OTs-14s, AK-103s and PP-19s. And did I mention SR-1M AP pistols?

And as I've said, AEK-971 is a prototype. If the devs were to even add it in remotely, it would be the A-545 at best.

I blame battlefield for miss-representing AEK's, that being said, I would never have felt in love with the AN-94 if it weren't for that stupid game!

Still hoping for 9x39mm for the Russian's (One can dream!)

You found nothing because "AEK" wont even show up. Why? Because the search function requires 4-character minimum search queries.

You cant search for anything that only has 3 characters. So "FOB" would also not show up, even though it is fairly obvious the word "FOB" has been mentioned quite often on these forums.

I blame battlefield for miss-representing AEK's, that being said, I would never have felt in love with the AN-94 if it weren't for that stupid game!

Still hoping for 9x39mm for the Russian's (One can dream!)

I mean at least that's something that would make sense because soldiers (though probably mostly SF and VDV) get those. Hell, a few if them have even been spotted in Ukraine.

I got a question about the bipods that will be in this game.
I really hope you might be inspired by the way Red Orchestra 2 did with the machine guns, that was the only good thing about the game, aswell as the barrle overheating?

Anyone who is capable to answare this please do so ;)