dvsilverwing

The Weapons Thread!

523 posts in this topic

My view: Pretty much no scopes for INS. Sniper has SVD; so two per team max. Marksman gets a choice between unscoped Mosin (or similar) or AK47 with scope.

Not going to lie that sounds like a terribly easy choice to make. I'd say a PU Mosin or something of the like for the marksman role. An AK with a scope of any kind would just be too easy to choose over a Mosin without a scope. I think an AK with a PSO on it or a SVD would be an apt choice between designated marksman but definitely not a sniper role as that would make the marksman role virtually useless on a squad level if they're toting around a bolt gun (which nobody would do if given the choice between a Mosin and a scoped AK.) 

Not going to lie that sounds like a terribly easy choice to make. I'd say a PU Mosin or something of the like for the marksman role. An AK with a scope of any kind would just be too easy to choose over a Mosin without a scope. I think an AK with a PSO on it or a SVD would be an apt choice between designated marksman but definitely not a sniper role as that would make the marksman role virtually useless on a squad level if they're toting around a bolt gun (which nobody would do if given the choice between a Mosin and a scoped AK.)

Mosin would be a one-shot kill. I'd pick that.

Mosin would be a one-shot kill. I'd pick that.

The Mosin would have the same damage model as the SVD so not an OHK unless they gave it improved damage for being bolt action.

According to Closed Alpha V3 update, HESCOs on Fools Road are temporary assets. Here are some pictures and specifications of modern russian gabions, GNT-1 (ГНТ-1) and GNT-2 (ГНТ-2).

Sizes for filled GNT-1:

Length: 3,7 m (metres);

Width: 0,72 m;

Heigth: 0,6 m.

For filled GNT-2:

Length: 3,75 m (metres);

Width: 1 m;

Heigth: 1,2 m.

dqBRNkp.jpg2s77AoV.jpg 9zRt7xv.jpg tc2GstO.jpg

0_9cb4a_1d42d79a_orig.jpg0_9b9ab_c243cb0_orig.jpg

According to Closed Alpha V3 update, HESCOs on Fools Road are temporary assets. Here are some pictures and specifications of modern russian gabions, GNT-1 (ГНТ-1) and GNT-2 (ГНТ-2).

Sizes for filled GNT-1:

Length: 3,7 m (metres);

Width: 0,72 m;

Heigth: 0,6 m.

For filled GNT-2:

Length: 3,75 m (metres);

Width: 1 m;

Heigth: 1,2 m.

[sNIP]

Awesome, thanks for that!

Yep very helpful. I'll make sure we get some in the new year!

I say the typical insurgent scope really should be a PSO. Maybe it's a lack of seeing it myself, but I don't believe that most insurgents can get their hands on 1P29s as easily as the extremely old PSOs. On top of this, will the 1P29 not be the optic of the Russian military? Even looking at the photos of Crimea I can only find a few with magnified optics, and only one of those magnified optics is a 1P78 whereas the majority of the rest are 1P29s.

Why not make the main Russian optic the PK-A? I understand the 1p29, to the best of my knowledge, is the scope that is going to be used, and the scope that is probably the most realistic general infantry optic, but its size and reticule really do suck. I feel like the PK-A would be much more comfortable and fitting for gameplay purposes. It ultimately looks much more balanced and sleek.  

PK-A_Venez_SGL31_Left02.JPG

Why not make the main Russian optic the PK-A? I understand the 1p29, to the best of my knowledge, is the scope that is going to be used, and the scope that is probably the most realistic general infantry optic, but its size and reticule really do suck. I feel like the PK-A would be much more comfortable and fitting for gameplay purposes. It ultimately looks much more balanced and sleek.  

PK-A_Venez_SGL31_Left02.JPG

The PK-A is an extremely outdated red dot that is far from the standard in the Russian military. I'm not quite sure how the handing out of scopes and red dots works in the Russian military (or if the troops buy their own optics, which definitely seems to be the case a lot of the time), but from what I've noticed the two most popular optics currently in use with the Russian military are the 1P63 Obzor and the 1P78 Kashtan (I looked back at the Crimea photographs and there are a whole lot more 1P78s than I had originally thought.) If anything, I'd say the PK-AS would be the second most likely optic for the Russian military. 

Personally I think the standard PK-A is ugly as all get out and it doesn't seem to be used very often, so I'm not sure why it deserves a slot in the game over the other more common Russian red dots. The Obzor might be ugly (not to mention the glass is tinted purple which makes it hard to see through) but I'd rather see the optic.

MSV getting optics? That's laughable. Scopes are fucking rare in most branches of the Russian military, Efreitor/Senior rifleman MIIIIGHT have one, but it should be reserved for section leads only.

would love to see the PGO-7 for the Grenadier.

So many of these topics seem to end up as personal bouts of 'My knowledge of this military is more in depth than your knowledge of this military.'

So many of these topics seem to end up as personal bouts of 'My knowledge of this military is more in depth than your knowledge of this military.'

Let be honest, you just don't like that somebody said that PK-A sucks :)

Let be honest, you just don't like that somebody said that PK-A sucks :)

Yeah man, thats actually my favorite optic in BF4 and I put it on my M4 and go full Rambo. Dont talk smack about my PK-A brah ill REK U

I care more about the aesthetics of sights than anything else honestly. That's one of the few subjects where, as long as the nationality is correct, I don't really care about how time period accurate it is.

I care more about the aesthetics of sights than anything else honestly. That's one of the few subjects where, as long as the nationality is correct, I don't really care about how time period accurate it is.

I think the CompM2 looks better than the CompM4

but I just have to deal with it bro.

realism is realism.

(I'm a 1P67 fan though... so lol)

I don't see a problem in this, as long as sources are cited and the information is accurate. Deal with it bro

Regarding weapons,. what are the chances we'll see a RPD in the future for afghans or african resistance force (Which would be a fairly straightforwards addition and realistic for the "near future" setting

#KONY2012

I think the CompM2 looks better than the CompM4

but I just have to deal with it bro.

realism is realism.

(I'm a 1P67 fan though... so lol)

I don't see a problem in this, as long as sources are cited and the information is accurate. Deal with it bro

Regarding weapons,. what are the chances we'll see a RPD in the future for afghans or african resistance force (Which would be a fairly straightforwards addition and realistic for the "near future" setting

#KONY2012

Devs have already said that gameplay overrules realism as long as it's not extensive.

Devs have already said that gameplay overrules realism as long as it's not extensive.

and the selection of sights has nothing to do with gameplay. Perfectly realistic choices can be made in this aspect.

and the selection of sights has nothing to do with gameplay. Perfectly realistic choices can be made in this aspect.

Pardon me, sights are a big part of smooth gameplay. If a sight sucks, it affects the gameplay immensely. If a sight isn't 100% accurate to standard issue, it's not that big of a deal. This is talking about a sight that is potentially not even unrealistic, just not the most commonly seen.

Pardon me, sights are a big part of smooth gameplay. If a sight sucks, it affects the gameplay immensely. If a sight isn't 100% accurate to standard issue, it's not that big of a deal. This is talking about a sight that is potentially not even unrealistic, just not the most commonly seen.

If a sight that is adopted is implemented realistically, it won't suck.

PK-A is extremely unrealistic.

If a sight that is adopted is implemented realistically, it won't suck.

PK-A is extremely unrealistic.

Extremely unrealistic is an exaggeration. It's still Russian, and still in limited service. At least I'm not asking for a fuckin Eotech or C79 for the RGF. Why are you being so hostile about this dude?

Extremely unrealistic is an exaggeration. It's still Russian, and still in limited service. At least I'm not asking for a fuckin Eotech or C79 for the RGF. Why are you being so hostile about this dude?

Sorry, but RGF? I'm a bit tired and I'm not processing. 

Eotech has actually been seen in common use by Russian secret squirrels. Sorry I can't say that about the PK-A, apart from probably publicity shoots.

Sorry, but RGF? I'm a bit tired and I'm not processing. 

Russian Ground Forces

Eotech has actually been seen in common use by Russian secret squirrels. Sorry I can't say that about the PK-A, apart from probably publicity shoots.

Not frontline ground infantry. Special units tend to use whatever the hell they want, within reason. May I ask, what the hell is your beef with the PK-A? It was just a suggestion. I'd be fine with a Kobra or PKA-S. I just feel like the AK doesn't need much more than an RDS for general use. If you're going to make a slot that's comparable to the US's ACO slot, just throw a PSO or something on there. 

Not frontline ground infantry. Special units tend to use whatever the hell they want, within reason. May I ask, what the hell is your beef with the PK-A? It was just a suggestion. I'd be fine with a Kobra or PKA-S. I just feel like the AK doesn't need much more than an RDS for general use. If you're going to make a slot that's comparable to the US's ACO slot, just throw a PSO or something on there. 

neither kobra nor pk-a have seen use with line infantry.

and comparable to ACO would be either 1P29 or 1P78. PSO is literally not even comparable, it's a way more specialized optic. You know the primary purpose of a RCO/ACO is to observe right?