Sign in to follow this  
Versus

Average FPS but it stutters (alot)

Hi all,

I've been playing squad for some time now. My average fps is about 30 but I do see that from time to time there is some stuttering and other lag spikes (or rubber banding? idk)

My rig:

CPU: Intel i7 950 (at stock rates 3,06), my cooling is a coolermaster EVO 212 (with 1 fan). I see when squad is open that its only asking about ~50% of my cpu...

MOBO: Asus P6X58D-E

GPU: Asus R9 270X (2gigs of memory with 256 bus width) (Core: 1050MHz, Memory: 1400MHz) EDIT

RAM:  Kingston/Corsair 10 GIGs of DDR3. When playing I'm only using 6 gigs.

PSU: Corsair with an output of 650watt (I have to check which model)

HDD: Western Digital SATA (I have to check this too :) )

Any advice on how to improve my fps (thus my squad experience)

Further info:

I have -nomansky as an option in my launch options for squad.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

I'll post a screenshot later with my in-game settings.

Something I do have to add is that I come from an AMD processor and I do see a big diffrence (I quit playing until I had my cpu installed)

Edited by Versus

Decrease textures to 1GB and restart the game. Also why is your gpu core clock underclocked (450MHz) ?

> GPU: Asus R9 270X (2gigs of memory with 256 bus width) (Core: 450MHz, Memory: 1400MHz)

Something wrong with this, gpu core clock should be atleast 1000 mhz 

4 minutes ago, Mortis said:

> GPU: Asus R9 270X (2gigs of memory with 256 bus width) (Core: 450MHz, Memory: 1400MHz)

Something wrong with this, gpu core clock should be atleast 1000 mhz 

Sorry, I had this misread... It was from CPU-Z. My GPU tool says its at 1050mhz (My mistake)

Edited the first post to the correct data

Edited by Versus

I bet theres something wrong with amd gpu drivers, cuz i7 950 quite good  even now, and shouldnt have similar to amd cpus problems, mb u have forced vsync turned on in catalyst panel, try to check gpu load and clocks via GPU-Z sensors ingame.

Clean uninstall your current gpu drivers using DDU and install at least Crimson 16.3. It fixes the downclocking issue which most of the GPUs were affected by it, also make sure your game is set to fullscreen. I had strong stuttering with my R9 390 when set to borderless.

Edited by mastah4

I'm currently installing the newest AMD crimson drivers. After that I'll check the CCC settings.

I'll try to play a little bit more with the settings and get back with you guys if I have any improvement :)

Edit:

The weird thing is that there is no diffrence in the stuttering in an 72 player server or when I'm playing with lower numbers... :(

Edited by Versus

After you install the newest drivers, go to Global settings in Gaming tab and turn Power Efficiency off.

It seems that I have a small increase of frames after installing the newest drivers. I just changed the Power Effeiciency in the Global settings and I'll see what that does. I haven't changed my settings in-game yet...

Thanx for the tips guys ;)

The 1GB textures seem to be a nice trick, the fps and stuttering decreased with almost 75%. After carefully logging my GPU I've noticed that the memory was mostly the reason for the stuttering/spikes.

Thanx for the advice guys :)

Squad just become more pleasant to play :D