Sign in to follow this  
RaTzo

Things unique to Squad which you forget about sometimes

So last night I was in game for the first time in 2 weeks. Worse, it was my first time in an FPS in two weeks. I was running on instinct for the first while and my instincts were rusty. 

Anyway, as I rounded a corner I saw someone hide behind a building wall. Instantly I considered rushing the bugger, but realized (thankfully) this is Squad and if I rush in I'm just going to die while spraying bullets everywhere but on my target. So I moved to the right and slowly approached. My target must have thought I went away because he came running out. This was not a great choice for him because immediately I helped him spring a few leaks. 

As the "Teamkill" message came up I realized he was wearing the same uniform as I was. "Well poop!" I thought at the same time as feeling glad I had just spawned in as a Medic. 

About 15 minutes later it dawned on me that I should have used local chat to ask if he was friendly... this is always a good option when you can't tell who someone is. 

That's my "Thing that is unique to Squad which I forgot about." What's yours?

Mine is even simpler than that - I normally play as a medic which has a different load out than anyone else, namely no grenades.  So when I join a match in progress and have to select a basic rifleman kit or the like, I forget that I have grenades and fail to use them.  RIP.

The sounds of gun fire is the first thing came up to my mind in this thread. It's so good and realistic that sometimes you forget to appreciate it and look for that similar experience in other games but can't find it in other games.

Just now, WarFox89 said:
The sounds of gun fire is the first thing came up to my mind in this thread. It's so good and realistic that sometimes you forget to appreciate it and look for that similar experience in other games but can't find it in other games.

This.  Playing as insurgents or militia, when I hear the US M4 firing, it gives me the chills sometimes.  Hard to describe.  I can only imagine what afghans feel when they see white super soldiers from the future with armor and gear.  Squad comes close though, it really makes you feel like your fighting a superior enemy whenever your against the US.

3 minutes ago, WarFox89 said:

haha yeah, vets who play tell me this all the time.

3 minutes ago, MattersEnd said:

This.  Playing as insurgents or militia, when I hear the US M4 firing, it gives me the chills sometimes.  Hard to describe.  I can only imagine what afghans feel when they see white super soldiers from the future with armor and gear.  Squad comes close though, it really makes you feel like your fighting a superior enemy whenever your against the US.

really? I feel like my AK-74 is the world's finest implement of battle in squad. I wouldn't trade it for anything in a straight up fight.

I just like the sound of the M4.  I was just trying to convey the idea of our enemies in the mountains who wear turbans who have never seen a tv, car or the modern civilized world.  They see white skinned Arkansas boys in full armor who look like they straight up came from the future trying to kill them.  Its why I like playing against the US as the insurgents in squad, I feel like i'm fighting a superior enemy.  Fun times.

3 minutes ago, MattersEnd said:

I just like the sound of the M4.  I was just trying to convey the idea of our enemies in the mountains who wear turbans who have never seen a tv, car or the modern civilized world.  They see white skinned Arkansas boys in full armor who look like they straight up came from the future trying to kill them.  Its why I like playing against the US as the insurgents in squad, I feel like i'm fighting a superior enemy.  Fun times.

yeah but in Squad it hardly feels like that. I feel like "Damn those poor fools have to use the M4 with it's recoil pattern"

Just now, trotskygrad said:

yeah but in Squad it hardly feels like that. I feel like "Damn those poor fools have to use the M4 with it's recoil pattern"

Meh, personal preference I guess.  Its more the idea that the M4 sound alerts you to the fact that its USA troops, which should then alert you that your fucked.

Also, another thing that comes to mind.  I actually like walking around in this game.  I like the long time between engagements.  It makes each firefight more intense and memory worthy.  

14 minutes ago, trotskygrad said:

haha yeah, vets who play tell me this all the time.

really? I feel like my AK-74 is the world's finest implement of battle in squad. I wouldn't trade it for anything in a straight up fight.

I'd trade it for a Zook were it not for the time to arm  :)   MAD doctrine

6 minutes ago, MattersEnd said:

Also, another thing that comes to mind.  I actually like walking around in this game.  I like the long time between engagements.  It makes each firefight more intense and memory worthy.  

One of the things I'm afraid will get rarer once vehicles are introduced, either it's me going top speed toward the enemies or the enemies doing the same toward me, nonetheless the gaps between fights get shorter and I dearly hope it just doesn't turn into.. mush..

E: Liking it and quoting it, that sounds eerily like a +2 to me ;) 

Edited by SgtHerhi

Just now, SgtHerhi said:

One of the things I'm afraid will get rarer once vehicles are introduced, either it's me going top speed toward the enemies or the enemies doing the same toward me, nonetheless the gaps between fights get shorter and I dearly hope it just doesn't turn into.. mush..

+1 to this.  

3 minutes ago, SgtHerhi said:

The game dynamic will surely chance when there are vehicles. If it's not quite to your liking, there will always be infantry-only maps and smaller scale warfare. There is definitely an appeal to having "no vehicle" maps.

Vehicles will still be fairly rare even when they are added. Also they are going to be valuable targets so the enemy will be trying to take them out. Respawn times for vehicles are promised to be long, so once a vehicle is gone we're going to be doing a lot of walking. We'll have the added pressure of knowing the enemy has a vehicle and could be on us or past us at any second. 

2 minutes ago, RaTzo said:

Vehicles will still be fairly rare even when they are added. Also they are going to be valuable targets so the enemy will be trying to take them out. Respawn times for vehicles are promised to be long, so once a vehicle is gone we're going to be doing a lot of walking. We'll have the added pressure of knowing the enemy has a vehicle and could be on us or past us at any second. 

Exactly. Devs can make vehicles worth a good number of tickets. The more tickets they are worth, the more caution will be used and the slower the gameplay goes. It also works out well in asymmetrical warfare because, even if insurgents don't have strong vehicles to obliterate the enemy with, they can wreak havoc on enemy tickets by destroying vehicles. The blufor may respond by keeping vehicles closer to base, and there you go, more infantry on infantry battles for you.

2 hours ago, MattersEnd said:

I mean -- not to be too big of a downer, but I believe the picture you paint isn't accurate to reality. ISIL recruits and spreads propaganda using Twitter. Vehicles are common enough to at least be seen (and used by insurgent militaries). And if you have Twitter you have the internet -- so you can be pretty easily acquainted with the modern world. Heck, there are IED's set off by cell phones. That doesn't happen without more than a familiarity with the modern world.

Just sayin'. Not that the US army isn't more advanced. I know which side I'd prefer to be on. But I couldn't help myself in hoping to dispel some ignorance.

Just now, wobb said:

I mean -- not to be too big of a downer, but I believe the picture you paint isn't accurate to reality. ISIL recruits and spreads propaganda using Twitter. Vehicles are common enough to at least be seen (and used by insurgent militaries). And if you have Twitter you have the internet -- so you can be pretty easily acquainted with the modern world. Heck, there are IED's set off by cell phones. That doesn't happen without more than a familiarity with the modern world.

Just sayin'. Not that the US army isn't more advanced. I know which side I'd prefer to be on. But I couldn't help myself in hoping to dispel some ignorance.

I think there is a big difference between ISIS/ISIL, and, the Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan, which is what I was referring to.

5 hours ago, Metapher said:

So no Drive-By-Shootings and Highspeed-Getaways? :(

Oh there will be plenty of that. Ins with their soft skinned technicals need to use "drive by" tactics; and u can bet your ass strykers will be chasing technicals trying to get the killz

5 hours ago, wobb said:

Dude, Afghanistan is one of the poorest countries in the world, there's almost no infrastructure in most the country, there's been war there since at least the 1970s making any development nearly impossible, life expectancy is low, etc.; and Isis is not the Taliban. The US military on the other hand is the most powerful by far the world has ever seen. There hasn't been such a huge military advantage since the Europeans came to the Americas and slaughtered all the poor indigenous ppl. The "ignorance" that should be dispelled is yours

9 minutes ago, gunbattle said:

Oh there will be plenty of that. Ins with their soft skinned technicals need to use "drive by" tactics; and u can bet your ass strykers will be chasing technicals trying to get the killz

Dude, Afghanistan is one of the poorest countries in the world, there's almost no infrastructure in most the country, there's been war there since at least the 1970s making any development nearly impossible, life expectancy is low, etc.; and Isis is not the Taliban. The US military on the other hand is the most powerful by far the world has ever seen. There hasn't been such a huge military advantage since the Europeans came to the Americas and slaughtered all the poor indigenous ppl. The "ignorance" that should be dispelled is yours

I'll never forget the look about 10 Afghan kids gave me when I attempted to explain to them about dinosaurs and the moon landings. They looked at my like I had a dick growing out of my forehead, it was quite a funny experience. Actually showing the kids the pictures of dinosaur bones was even more hilarious.

2 hours ago, gunbattle said:

Sure. But that doesn't mean that vehicles or TV come from some world-of-the-unheard-future in Afghanistan. Ya'know?

38 minutes ago, wobb said:

Sure. But that doesn't mean that vehicles or TV come from some world-of-the-unheard-future in Afghanistan. Ya'know?

There's A LOT of ppl who never had electricity, let alone tv, and the only vehicles they are CRAPPY run down vehicles or US war machines. To put it in context, Afghanistan makes Mexico look like Paris france, ya know?

I'm sure you can all find another thread to discuss your opinions of Afghanistan and how advanced you think you are. ;)