Golden Wombat

Will there be Bots?

44 posts in this topic

I hope there won't be bots. It will probably be like the bots in arma

To clarify..the ArmA AI are probably the best in any video game. They actually react to a situation by taking cover , moving etc. BTW - the AI use their own core (which is why you need at least a 2 core cpu to play) and are improving all the time. They do have their problems (detection and precise aiming) , but that just means you have to stay on your toes,use cover and move.

In Squad , even PR type bots would be a usefull training tool. I've praciced the medic kit by shooting one of my squad bots , something that would NEVER be allowed on a server. Right now though , I'm assuming all programming efforts are going into making the game marketable. Bots maybe later .. or as a mod.

To clarify..the ArmA AI are probably the best in any video game.

naHPBQQ.png

Personally need to agree. I've seen the very best gameplay between players and AI, via ArmA. I absolutely hate the broad ArmA community for how shut-in it has become in recent years, and I can't stand how complicated it can be to just make a community last a long while (It gets really boring to have the same mission over and over, cause they always go the same even when they're 'dynamic'). Utilizing the Zeus function I was able to keep 2 platoons of players full occupied and enjoying their day in a 9 hour operation. Besides basic orders of attack this general area, patrol here, defend here, the bots handled it all. Nice thing about Squad, essentially all that is really needed to make good combat is a competitent 'Commander AI' to tell them what is needed. If it's an insurgency style mission like PR has, I could see the experiences being next to epic.

My experiences with AI have been underwhelming AI or single player games, but I've never played Arma.  Tompkins Bw explanation sounds a little appealing but as long as there are humans to play I'd probably still pass.  Perhaps I subconsciously have something against computers.

Utilizing the Zeus function

yes well that's whats important here.

there was still a human element to the AI your other players were facing.

ArmA AI, standing on its own merits, no mods, is utter garbage.

yes well that's whats important here.

there was still a human element to the AI your other players were facing.

ArmA AI, standing on its own merits, no mods, is utter garbage.

Even with mods, the AI is so random that sometimes they do not see you even if they should and other times they shoot you through bushes and trees even if they should not be able to.... I played a lot of Arma and I do like coop missions... but bohemia still has a crappy performing engine and silly AI, even after all these years of their engine....

Even with mods, the AI is so random that sometimes they do not see you even if they should and other times they shoot you through bushes and trees even if they should not be able to.... I played a lot of Arma and I do like coop missions... but bohemia still has a crappy performing engine and silly AI, even after all these years of their engine....

I think the reason BeerHunter made this statement is because of its flexibility. Arma is more than a simple game. It provides a combat framework on which people can build on. It's a bit unfortunate that the stuff it comes with from Bohemia is not that great but, in the right hands, great things can be achieved.

Bots in PR where kind of useful, learning assets is really cool in that way! But for the "real" game play they do not really do their job.

So if there would be bots it would be a good way to learn the vehicles like in PR!

Almost exactly what I was about to write ;)

Mods solve a lot of the issues with the arms ai. Engagement and detection range mods (so they see you hundreds of meters away just like you see them), accuracy mods (so they don't get magical headshots with ironsight akm at 400m), suppression mods (so when you spray an ai squad with an mg they dive for cover), and tactical mods that simulate an ai commander that directs the enemy squads to flank you or whatever.

For all it's flaws, the ai in arma3 IS actually one of the best in any shooter game. Which is pretty sad, actually.

I am indifferent as far as co-op is concerned, you will still be able to use firing range for training with vehicles to a certain extent, but having AI controlled civilians in the battlefield sounds very intriguing.

If there was an AI on par with what was available in BIA, that'd be an excellent training tool. Not sure if anyone agrees that BIA had amazing AI, but I'm sure it would be a great model to look at if considered for future development.

BIA AI was not exceptionnal (though relatively to its release date...) but good enough to teach player some basic movements/tactics. A very good game to train on.

bot mod how long?

Avec tout le respect Quartier-Maître, si un modo passe par là, il va vous sortir les nouvelles règles du forum sur la façon de poster...

C'est pas des majuscules c'est un copier coller de google traduction, je s'avais plus comment le dire.

Just now, TheSh1tGamer said:

BUMP  Any bots yet :)

Basically No...

Y r people still asking these questions? do they not know how 2 look at the FAQ? devs need 2 put it in HUGE font so that ppl stop asking so many redundant questions