Sign in to follow this  
YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Artillery Brainstorming. Static, Mobile, and Portable. (Not just Mortars.)

Due to the scale of the game correct me if I am wrong 8x8 km ? I can't imagine any other artillery system outside of small and medium mortars working within the context of the game map.

Even the smallest of howitzer say a 105mm it would greatly outrage the entirety of the map.

120mm mortars could work but they would be limited to being in mortar carriers or towable due to their great weight and bulk.

Only hope I have is that whatever form artillery takes place , It is relatively difficult to use due to the extreme power of indirect fire.

(no simple mortar mechanics, no clicking on a map for artillery and no using binoculars and getting magical artillery there within minutes) It should require more input.

What about calling artillery from the outside with a long cooldown,

since Squad concentrates on the actual frontlines?

Also what about rocket artillery?

Edited by sanf

20 minutes ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

Why did you bring this awful thread back to life.

Because I think it is an interesting topic and things like that should be part of a game like Squad.

11 minutes ago, sanf said:

Because I think it is an interesting topic and things like that should be part of a game like Squad.

They will be, just like in PR and not anything heavy vehicle based.

How about the explosions massive dust filled or small farts.. i hope it gets some dope sounds. also the ground that it hits is important. I really dont like this indestructible ground and foliage. Is there any plans for destruction

On 3/12/2016 at 0:04 PM, McCracken said:

So many cool toys there, but hey, it might bo to much fun for for some in here to have in this fantastic game we got. Maybe in 20 years in squad 3 it can be accepted . . . .maybe in 10 years after that we have a game like squad with jets in it ? Might be a bit to much fun for this generation.

On topic, i would love to see this kind of hardware get will implented in the game.

I get what you're trying to say but I'm not having it. Any manually controlled artillery above mortars does nothing but take away from the amount of players on foot fighting it out. This game is 50 vs 50 and at that level taking even 4 guys away from the front to run a mortar squad can be a detriment unless they're very, very effective. Can you imagine taking even more away to run a field howitzer, or a SPAAG? Things would get bad, quickly. Ever played ArmA? That's the game you're looking for, not Squad. Hell, ever played ArmA on a hundred man server vs AI? 100 Players all working together to fight AI in their separate roles and you still always end up with less than a platoon of men on the ground with rifles rather than in field howitzers, planes, helicopters, or any other form of vehicle that sucks the fun out of being an infantryman. 

14 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

I get what you're trying to say but I'm not having it. Any manually controlled artillery above mortars does nothing but take away from the amount of players on foot fighting it out. This game is 50 vs 50 and at that level taking even 4 guys away from the front to run a mortar squad can be a detriment unless they're very, very effective. Can you imagine taking even more away to run a field howitzer, or a SPAAG? Things would get bad, quickly. Ever played ArmA? That's the game you're looking for, not Squad. Hell, ever played ArmA on a hundred man server vs AI? 100 Players all working together to fight AI in their separate roles and you still always end up with less than a platoon of men on the ground with rifles rather than in field howitzers, planes, helicopters, or any other form of vehicle that sucks the fun out of being an infantryman. 

I kinda agree with you on this, only small portion of games these days offer satisfactory infantry combat game-play and this is why I'm skeptical for vehicles. But I still think there must artillery support to make comebacks possible when you are base-camped. I'm green for mortar support available for base-camps and maybe for closest 2 flags if needed, costing some tickets in return? So you won't be needing to your awful second Squad to clear out a compound for a possible comeback.

I lost too many games because we lost many flags so fast even though we fought hard, we couldn't get our heads out of our base. If we could we had a chance. Game should always reward team-work and planning, right now it awards better positioning and better aim. 

Of course all of these can be solved with doing better map designs and slowing the game itself. 

Edited by lastpuritan

a.c.e. for arma has the best artillery system, way better than casual project reality. squad just needs something like this.