Chuc

What's up with Vehicles? Part 1

Should I start to search hidden image links from dots and arrows? "Old squaddies inside jokE."

32 minutes ago, Romagnolo said:

This topic is so hot right now! 

Thanks for taking the time to assemble such a well written and thorough report. I'm somewhat stunned in a positive way with what you and the dev team are willing to share. It's great that the focus us on getting it right, I for one will patiently wait, as I know it will pay off in the long run. 

This is why I'd be completely supportive of administration taking away posting rights of people who come here to whine about how long something is taking, or where a certain feature is... I don't care if it takes a whole YEAR to get something done RIGHT! Just make it look good and function correctly! Idiots that want to rush perfection need to stick to titles that haven't really innovated in the past decade!  Don't rush it... Take a step back and have a break every now and then... take all the time you guys need... In the end, like I've said, YOU GUYS are about to set the bar on future FPS/tactical/mil-sim'ish' games! Do it right, and you'll force criminals like EA and Activision to actually WORK to make something worth the money they ask, and MAYBE even innovate!

WE ALL BENEFIT! Thank YOU for all of your time and work! You're doing more for us than just making the game we've been wanting our whole lives!

1 hour ago, Lex_Talionis said:

Do it right, and you'll force criminals like EA and Activision to actually WORK to make something worth the money they ask, and MAYBE even innovate!

so true... so true...

I have an idea that would be great either instead of or along side with Vehicles.  Choppers that are controlled by Bots and you tell them where to go on the map.
Then you could rappel from the chopper as a team or bail out.  You may recall Delta Force pc game they had a chopper you would ride on the bench on the side of it but it was totally controlled with code so you didn't have to worry about flying it just get in and ride.  It would be great to have choppers that could lift people to the objective as it flys fast and low over terrain. 

39 minutes ago, criticofgames said:

I have an idea that would be great either instead of or along side with Vehicles.  Choppers that are controlled by Bots and you tell them where to go on the map.
Then you could rappel from the chopper as a team or bail out.  You may recall Delta Force pc game they had a chopper you would ride on the bench on the side of it but it was totally controlled with code so you didn't have to worry about flying it just get in and ride.  It would be great to have choppers that could lift people to the objective as it flys fast and low over terrain. 

This is a game around standard Infantry, not CoD or BF4 with the "Special Forces Alpha-Male Hyper Soldier" 

1 hour ago, criticofgames said:

This excactly how you say it will happen, only difference is that it will be a person and not a bot flying the helicopter

8 hours ago, Idartd said:

This excactly how you say it will happen, only difference is that it will be a person and not a bot flying the helicopter

And hopefully not so dumb that they can't avoid dangers on route as intel comes in.

On 10. mars 2016 at 7:40 AM, RoyAwesome said:

You guys probably wont see part 2 until vehicles are out, but I hope you all enjoyed this insight into what we are working on :)

5 minutes ago, Doc Murphy said:

Is there going to be a part two to this report orrrrr...?

10 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

And hopefully not so dumb that they can't avoid dangers on route as intel comes in.

Human error is bound to happen. Good communication will fix this. Then again, Google seems to be developing this self drive tech fairly well... maybe it'd be better to have Google fly our choppers and avoid these dangers?

Edited by penguins227

5 hours ago, Idartd said:

Right. I was under the impression that calling the article part 1 would mean it would be followed by a part 2 soon. I read that he was going to separate the article into chunks, but I didn't think that meant having them months apart.

Thanks anyway, I guess.

Yes DEV's. Take your time :) I'll still be here, Just happy you share so mutch of the great/hard work your team are doing.

When the HUMVEE's ready to roll.. ...Its ready to roll :D

Milestone has been hit for the Networking for Vehicles

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/4aa5yy/dev_progress_on_netmovenetcode/

As many of you know, much of the work keeping vehicles from being implemented has been their netcode as explained in the last devblog. According to Dev RoyAwesome's latest tweets @RoyAwesome:

"One of the hardest projects I've ever worked on with Squad is now 'done', baring fixing some floaty feeling movement. Net Code is difficult"

he also linked a video of the netcode in action:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1940586/2016-03-11_18-55-01.mp4

and according to Roy on the forums here, that test was done with 500ms of simulated ping and 50% simulated package loss! Not bad!

Not to overhype or anything but it seems like the devs are making awesome progress in networked vehicles being a reality!

edit: Roy also said recently on the forums

"I just implemented a new method for Interpolation on remote clients (People that aren't you or the server) that will be fairly heavily tested after v5 goes out. After that, we need to move the Vehicle Physics code over to NetMove (what I'm calling the netcode that I'm writing), which involves an Engine change. Once that's done, it's polish and gameplay things from then on out (like how to spawn them, implementing the logistics system, stuff like that). "

so to clarify, while the successful initial testing of the new net code is amazing news, it is but a part of the road ahead

15 hours ago, penguins227 said:

Human error is bound to happen. Good communication will fix this. Then again, Google seems to be developing this self drive tech fairly well... maybe it'd be better to have Google fly our choppers and avoid these dangers?

How about we just use Uber pilots? would cut some costs im sure :D

3 hours ago, Zeno965 said:

How about we just use Uber pilots? would cut some costs im sure :D

Reporting for duty :D

Great progress devs. Q: can you implement wheel and pedals support for vehicles? I'd love to drive stuff in squad with them.

@devs in the future is it possible for a rudimentary armour penetration system with bounces and maybe the engine has protection at some points but if your in a building with a rpg above a tank the engine deck is vulnerable. As well as models that tell the game, the engine is here could set fire if shot here ECT so that it rewards people who know vulnerabilities. If rpg goes thru the vehicle and nothing important is there less damage then engine compartment. Sorry for being so long winded. I suck..

43 minutes ago, Alec12345 said:

@devs in the future is it possible for a rudimentary armour penetration system with bounces and maybe the engine has protection at some points but if your in a building with a rpg above a tank the engine deck is vulnerable. As well as models that tell the game, the engine is here could set fire if shot here ECT so that it rewards people who know vulnerabilities. If rpg goes thru the vehicle and nothing important is there less damage then engine compartment. Sorry for being so long winded. I suck..

I love it if they could make it like a mini War Thunder with respect to armour if that's the sort of thing you mean.

3 hours ago, Alec12345 said:

This is the hopeful long term goal, as stated a couple times by the developers. Damage points on the vehicle / better modular damage / ammo type dependency.

It would break the immersion if you could set up in a specific position as an LAV and just slowly whittle away the HP of an MBT because they can't see a/o hit you, I don't need there to be accurate deflection, but I really do need a system that takes note of the angle of impact and shell type to determine whether it would do any real damage(and not as an HP system either). Explosive shock waves are easily absorbed by the armor of an MBT/LAV, so what this game really needs to avoid is the ArmA style system that completely ignores the effectiveness of tank armor by recognizing the differences between HE, HEAT, and AP rounds.

Edit:

Might be a bit soon, but we do need to have a system, maybe not a complicated one, but we do need one.

Before we start destroying the vehicles, is there any info about the physics behind flipping them over the roof, due bad driving or too steep angles?
Are we able to recover a flipped vehicle by applying a winchhook from another vehicle? (drag&drop via 1st-person from a player, F on the winch and F on the point at the vehicle)

And what will happen with these knee-high mudwalls in the afghan maps? Just another roadblock or climbable?

What will happen to the laminated armoured glass of vehicles like humvees if shot in the game? Obviously it will stop multiple rounds but will it craze and block the drivers vision such that the vehicle will need repairing to clear it. That would be cool and helpful in an ambush situation.