Chuc

What's up with Vehicles? Part 1

9 minutes ago, Hunter_Sh0tz said:

Aw, c'mon! Surely this isn't an inside joke! (jk)

*eyebrow climbs further up forehead*

fry-not-sure-if-trolling_191.jpg

19 hours ago, Chuc said:

In Part 2, I’ll talk about the process of rewriting the Netcode for Vehicles, putting the last few pieces together for vehicles, and talk a bit about how to mod them.  For now, I hope you enjoyed this look into the development process of Vehicles.  If you have any questions, you can follow me on Twitter, @RoyAwesome.  

Offworld Out.  

Notice it says "PUTTING THE LAST FEW PIECES TOGETHER FOR VEHICLES, and talk a bit about how to mod them", now I don't mean to create false illusions but that sentence alone according to my "englando" means that the vehicles are already prepared to roll out or maybe I did not interpret it very well...

1 minute ago, Shenk said:

Notice it says "PUTTING THE LAST FEW PIECES TOGETHER FOR VEHICLES, and talk a bit about how to mod them", now I don't mean to create false illusions but that sentence alone according to my "englando" means that the vehicles are already prepared to roll out or maybe I did not interpret it very well...

Not worth assuming things, they may be weeks/months out. Let's just wait.

5 minutes ago, Mumble said:

Not worth assuming things, they may be weeks/months out. Let's just wait.

I'm not assuming anything. Just merely pointed out that the sentence I quoted above was a little bit "shady". 

And besides I don't think the Devs would be talking about how to mod the vehicles if they weren't yet finished.

Edited by Shenk

V5 in 1 week no vehicles.  5 weeks to V6 with vehicles.

There you have it guys, Now you know ;)

3 minutes ago, DundA said:

This is probably the best pre-release update I've seen from any game. If more companies put out things like this, people would stop bitching about 'Where's our _____!?'

Well done. Thanks for taking the time to do things right rather than fast.

1 hour ago, Shenk said:

You did not interpret it well. 

Right now we are putting the finishing touches on the new netcode... Remote clients still see jitter.  I just implemented a new method for Interpolation on remote clients (People that aren't you or the server) that will be fairly heavily tested after v5 goes out.  After that, we need to move the Vehicle Physics code over to NetMove (what I'm calling the netcode that I'm writing), which involves an Engine change.  Once that's done, it's polish and gameplay things from then on out (like how to spawn them, implementing the logistics system, stuff like that).  

21 hours ago, Chuc said:

“Oh simple”, I thought, “I’ll just fix those assumptions”.  Yeah, It wasn’t that simple.

Any programmers famous last words.

26 minutes ago, Nasskicker said:

Any programmers famous last words.

Tell me about it, Roy is notorious for this.

He is awesome...but that man loves to underestimate problems.

8 hours ago, RoyAwesome said:

Mostly with code we've already had written, nothing wrong with UE4.  You can write code that assumes that your possessed pawn will always be of a certain type.  This manifests itself in simple issues like casting to your type without checking if the cast failed.  But, it also manifests itself in very hard issues like weapon's recoil patterns being an animation that relies on the Soldier skeleton.  

Oh god, I can't figure out what you're talking about there but it sounds complicated. Thanks for all of the hard work!

36 minutes ago, RoyAwesome said:

we need to move the Vehicle Physics code over to NetMove (what I'm calling the netcode that I'm writing), which involves an Engine change.  Once that's done, it's polish and gameplay things from then on out (like how to spawn them, implementing the logistics system, stuff like that).  

So that sounds a lot like 1-2 month's worth of work, which should be on par with what Iron taxi said with Vehicles coming out around late April/Early may as the goal. 

Should be great.

4 hours ago, Hunter_Sh0tz said:

"Hi Folks" =/= "Hey Squaddies!!!" 0/10 no emotion

Also, dammit Brad!

Sush, they dont want you to know!

15 minutes ago, SgtRoss said:

Tell me about it, Roy is notorious for this.

He is awesome...but that man loves to underestimate problems.

The coding could remind you of PMCS.

37 minutes ago, LMR Sahara said:

So that sounds a lot like 1-2 month's worth of work, which should be on par with what Iron taxi said with Vehicles coming out around late April/Early may as the goal. 

Should be great.

What it sounds like and what it is are two different things.  It could be two months, it could be 5.  I honestly don't know.  The point of this dev blog was to get across the fact that some things just come up when working on the game and you have to deal with it.  We tried to have vehicles for Early Access but it totally didn't happen because problems kept popping up that needed to be solved.  There is nothing special about vehicles in this... That's just how software development works.  

5 hours ago, Hunter_Sh0tz said:

"Hi Folks" =/= "Hey Squaddies!!!" 0/10 no emotion

Also, dammit Brad!

*grumbles*

I am getting so tired of having to say this, I am Not Brad. But this Brad fellow certainly does sound like he'd be a really cool, sexy, 1337, badass who's a hit with the ladies...

*cries in corner* (T-T)

Forever-alone-400x400.png

5 hours ago, DundA said:

thats my guess/hope

4 hours ago, RoyAwesome said:

You did not interpret it well. 

Right now we are putting the finishing touches on the new netcode... Remote clients still see jitter.  I just implemented a new method for Interpolation on remote clients (People that aren't you or the server) that will be fairly heavily tested after v5 goes out.  After that, we need to move the Vehicle Physics code over to NetMove (what I'm calling the netcode that I'm writing), which involves an Engine change.  Once that's done, it's polish and gameplay things from then on out (like how to spawn them, implementing the logistics system, stuff like that).  

oh man its gonna tits!

i am curious how the vehicles will change the whole game... either to the good or to the bad... but i think it will be quite a different game since then

I have 3 things to say:

1. Nice dev blog from you and good to hear that development of vehicles is in progress and, what's more important, in what state it is right now. So everyone who has a little bit "Grips" in the brain knows, that vehicles are taking another few month to be released to the stable servers.

2. Actually I have always the "horror" and the "fear" and all the bad things of DayZ-vehicle-development in front of my eyes. I cannot help. Not to compare the two games. But they said, they would have vehicles in EA-Version. They have nothing but crap in the DayZ game right now.

3. I'm a developer too (not games, but... ) and I thought of one thing when I read the part of the netcode and rubberbanding and so on: Couldn't anyone have forseen this. Hadn't anyone developed a vehicle for a MMOG? Didn't anyone before had problems with rubberbanding and netcode? E.g. they had it in every Battlefield realease. Or in many other games. I don't know, but as game developer I must know this is happening. I dont just develop a vehicle, place it in the game and then say: Oh, its lagging and banding and beaming and hanging? What's this? Surprise mthfker ;-)

12 hours ago, litrax said:

3. I'm a developer too (not games, but... ) and I thought of one thing when I read the part of the netcode and rubberbanding and so on: Couldn't anyone have forseen this. Hadn't anyone developed a vehicle for a MMOG? Didn't anyone before had problems with rubberbanding and netcode? E.g. they had it in every Battlefield realease. Or in many other games. I don't know, but as game developer I must know this is happening. I dont just develop a vehicle, place it in the game and then say: Oh, its lagging and banding and beaming and hanging? What's this? Surprise mthfker ;-)

Biggest thing is that smooth movement over the internet is in no way a solved problem.  There is no 'just do this' and it works.  Every single multiplayer game has issues with netcode.  The question is which issues do they chose to hide and which do they chose to have.