Sign in to follow this  
MattersEnd

What's the red thing on top of the acog scope?

It is the fiber-optic tube that collects light to project the red chevron in the reticle. This is for daytime usage, and there is a tritium insert for nighttime usage

It's a Fiber Optic used for collecting light and directing it to the reticle, It also uses tritium, This helps illuminate the reticle in the day or night without the use of battery power, This fiber Optic/Tritium lasts about 10 years and is replaceable.

Edited by PinguThePenguin

that's what makes the red dot you looking at basicly , it needs light to be effective , if you cover up the red line you wont see a red dot in the sight.

1 minute ago, SuicidalChair said:

so when an emp grenade turns off your red dot its BS? (besides an emp grenade not being a thing)

Damn bro, you had to go and make this philisophical. 

I must say that wasn't know about it before. Everyday we can learn something new

19 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

It is the fiber-optic tube that collects light to project the red chevron in the reticle. This is for daytime usage, and there is a tritium insert for nighttime usage

16 minutes ago, MattersEnd said:

Wow, that's super cool. Didn't realize it was so high tech. 

thats why the sight is more expensive then the gun its attached to :)

1 hour ago, SuicidalChair said:

so when an emp grenade turns off your red dot its BS? (besides an emp grenade not being a thing)

well it's a thing, just not in grenade form :D herf guns are a thing though

1 hour ago, MattersEnd said:

What color is the reticle at night when you have the tritium insert being used?

red

Edited by trotskygrad

Seeing as it's not electronic, it's taking advantage of physical properties it's fine. The bullets don't suddenly stop exploding because of an EMP - it strictly affects circuitry and electronics.

Edited by Arduras
Typo

There are several colors available for the reticle but most common one I've seen is red; however, I've also seen green and a amber/yellowish color as well.

Edit:

Here is a picture with the 3 colors I mention.

ognY6fK.jpg

Edited by PoleHERbehr
edited for the image

There are several models that are only back-lit via tritium and have no light during the day as well, these are older models though and have not seen military use that I know of for quite some time. The Trijicon red dot sights also use the same technology for some, though some still have battery illumination as an option.

1 minute ago, Dennisz125 said:

If you enter a tunnel, would you still see red marking or not?

yes, because tritium is radioactive and glows regardless of the surrounding environment. IT's why it's the msot common way to make night sights

5 hours ago, MattersEnd said:

Wow, that's super cool. Didn't realize it was so high tech. 

It would make sense considering a ACOG costs more than that of the Rifle its supporting haha (IIRC standard Trijicon ACOG is $1,500-$3,000? Someone can correct me on that)

25 minutes ago, LMR Sahara said:

It would make sense considering a ACOG costs more than that of the Rifle its supporting haha (IIRC standard Trijicon ACOG is $1,500-$3,000? Someone can correct me on that)

The website with costs but that's about right. They aint cheap that's for dam sure

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=acog&mid=4%20x%2032%20BAC

5 hours ago, SuicidalChair said:

Depends. There are a few that illuminate on batteries, that would probably do it, but in the case of the M150 (the standard US ACO), no.

Edited by Hunter_Sh0tz

No, MW2 did in fact have it wrong, the ACOG would be entirely unaffected by it just like all of the land vehicles, I would also think aerial vehicles such as planes would be okay if they were not entirely digital, not too sure about helicopters though(assuming the vehicles were running at the time of the EMP detonation). I mean, it sure as hell would fuck up your vehicle's electrical systems but so long as there are some analogue controls built in as back up you'd be fine. A tank for example would maintain motor function, but depending on how the controls for the gunner are set up it might or might not have the ability to fire. Then again, I would be more surprised if a modern military vehicle was not EMP hardened for combat in an environment where nuclear weapons might be present. 

8 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

No, MW2 did in fact have it wrong, the ACOG would be entirely unaffected by it just like all of the land vehicles, I would also think aerial vehicles such as planes would be okay if they were not entirely digital, not too sure about helicopters though(assuming the vehicles were running at the time of the EMP detonation). 

Damn, I remember when I first played that mission. I was always scavenging on the ground because the ACOG was the one scope with a large dark laser/wire (idk what it is) reticle where you could actually aim with without the illuminated reticle.

EDIT: Nutella, not sure if you're addressing me up there, but yeah.

Edited by Hunter_Sh0tz

38 minutes ago, Hunter_Sh0tz said:

Damn, I remember when I first played that mission. I was always scavenging on the ground because the ACOG was the one scope with a large dark laser/wire (idk what it is) reticle where you could actually aim with without the illuminated reticle.

EDIT: Nutella, not sure if you're addressing me up there, but yeah.

Not specifically singling anybody out, but simply addressing what I would assume the most common source of misinformation would be for those who play games and don't really know the science behind them. The reason (as I understand it) for the effects of an EMP is that they neutralize the charges in batteries and capacitors killing all systems without a built in alternator. But I have never really researched the topic too much and someone could correct me if I am wrong. But for all practical purposes, there is actually an ACOG model with internal batteries that would be affected by an EMP, though I don't see a reason to use it as it is heavier and has a shorter life than it's brothers.

edit:

It is also not in use by any military officially so you wouldn't know unless you went to the Trijicon website to have a look: Trijicon ACOG

Just some fun information for those who would like to know about the ACOG and how it is used in practice.

My unit, and I am sure most units, encouraged the taping of most of the tube depending on conditions. Without taping and covering part of the tube the reticle kinda glows and has no fine lines. So taping gave us a more defined and rigid reticle.

On 3/9/2016 at 6:47 PM, Mitchsw said:

Just some fun information for those who would like to know about the ACOG and how it is used in practice.

My unit, and I am sure most units, encouraged the taping of most of the tube depending on conditions. Without taping and covering part of the tube the reticle kinda glows and has no fine lines. So taping gave us a more defined and rigid reticle.

Yup, I always taped mine up so I didn't have a giant red blur when shooting.