Sign in to follow this  
MattersEnd

What's the red thing on top of the acog scope?

On 08/03/2016 at 10:32 PM, PoleHERbehr said:

There are several colors available for the reticle but most common one I've seen is red; however, I've also seen green and a amber/yellowish color as well.

Edit:

Here is a picture with the 3 colors I mention.

ognY6fK.jpg

Hope we can change optic colours in the future,personally my eyeballs hates Red....

16 minutes ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

Hope we can change optic colours in the future,personally my eyeballs hates Red....

How about no? The armorer won't change that for you

Just now, MattersEnd said:

Would be cool to have your choice of reticle color since its based IRL and it seems pretty easy to implement.

Agreed sir,we had this option in Joint Operations...would be beneficial for some folks with color blindless or as in my case,red hurts my retina for some weird reason...

25 minutes ago, MattersEnd said:

Would be cool to have your choice of reticle color since its based IRL and it seems pretty easy to implement.

It's not based IRL. Big army issues you an acog and that's what you get. It's not field swappable, you send it back to trijicon and pay quite some cash. Big army ain't got time for that

16 minutes ago, trotskygrad said:

It's not based IRL. Big army issues you an acog and that's what you get. It's not field swappable, you send it back to trijicon and pay quite some cash. Big army ain't got time for that

Actually, not "quite" true, there are several models in the field, standard issue is red, but you "could" potentially have an older TA-01 model that has no daylight illumination! Would still be red at night but I digress...

48 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

Actually, not "quite" true, there are several models in the field, standard issue is red, but you "could" potentially have an older TA-01 model that has no daylight illumination! Would still be red at night but I digress...

it's the same, you wouldn't have the option to swap reticles. That's what I was getting at.

1 hour ago, trotskygrad said:

it's the same, you wouldn't have the option to swap reticles. That's what I was getting at.

Of course, but can you switch the reticle on any scope? No. But in all fairness the reticle is actually different on the older TA-01, it doesn't have the chevron. But no army would issue more than one scope type to any unit as this would cause problems in the armory with zeroing distance and what not so you'd pretty much be stuck with whatever is available. Just be glad you aren't like us up here in Canada with our shit C79...

On 3/9/2016 at 8:47 PM, Mitchsw said:

Just some fun information for those who would like to know about the ACOG and how it is used in practice.

My unit, and I am sure most units, encouraged the taping of most of the tube depending on conditions. Without taping and covering part of the tube the reticle kinda glows and has no fine lines. So taping gave us a more defined and rigid reticle.

14 hours ago, noneed2hate said:

Yup, I always taped mine up so I didn't have a giant red blur when shooting. 

This is interesting, I've never heard of this nor did I see anyone in my unit do this. Perhaps we had newer version that blur issue was fixed (2010-14). My retical was clear and sharp without any of the mentioned haze.  

I would assume that many of our old crusty ass SSG's and PSG would know about this quick fix if it was an outstanding problem given that they were hard-dick infantry.

Either way I find it interesting and I'm doing some more reading about it.

Edit:

I found numerous occasions where taping seemed to be a established sop. Not that I questioned what was presented but rather I just contrasted it to my personal experience, which was the first I've heard of it. Thank you for sharing.

Edited by PoleHERbehr
edit for additional info

Yeah those Acogs are friggin pricey... I would love to have one on my AR but I would never be able to justify the price considering the rifle in its base form cost me $570 and I just dont have that kind of money.  Ill be getting a red dot though for sure soon.

I had a couple good rounds in game last night with the acog m4 class actually.  I usually dont use it because the sensitivity bug annoys me but I got past it last night and used it anyway.  Did pretty well, had top kills on the entire team both times.  I forgot how helpful it can be.  I love when guys pop over the wall and stand completely still so I can take 1 shot and send it through their face.  It was fun.

4 hours ago, PoleHERbehr said:

This is interesting, I've never heard of this nor did I see anyone in my unit do this. Perhaps we had newer version that blur issue was fixed (2010-14). My retical was clear and sharp without any of the mentioned haze.  

I would assume that many of our old crusty ass SSG's and PSG would know about this quick fix if it was an outstanding problem given that they were hard-dick infantry.

Either way I find it interesting and I'm doing some more reading about it.

Edit:

I found numerous occasions where taping seemed to be a established sop. Not that I questioned what was presented but rather I just contrasted it to my personal experience, which was the first I've heard of it. Thank you for sharing.

The blur issue was caused more or less by the intensity of the sun at any given moment, but you could tape it to a point where it would only receive some Sunlight or no Sunlight. Really it boiled down to personal preference, it will still get the job done either way though perhaps with a larger shot group. :)

Edited by noneed2hate

6 minutes ago, noneed2hate said:

The blur issue was caused more or less by the intensity of the sun at any given moment, but you could tape it to a point where it would only receive some Sunlight or no Sunlight. Really it boiled down to personal preference, it will still get the job done either way though perhaps with a larger shot group. :)

haha I mentioned this forever ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/3utid7/automatic_reticle_brightness_on_the_acog_and/

PSO should also have the option to illum the reticle

5 minutes ago, trotskygrad said:

haha I mentioned this forever ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/3utid7/automatic_reticle_brightness_on_the_acog_and/

PSO should also have the option to illum the reticle

I remember my buddie's PSO has a slot for a nickel battery so they definitely should have an illumination feature.

Edited by noneed2hate

1 minute ago, noneed2hate said:

Don't they in real life? I remember my buddie's PSO has a slot for a nickel battery.

yeah they do. I think the RPG scope has it too. my 55 S 55 scope has an option for it.

Warpac was all about that scope illumination.

On 3/9/2016 at 11:15 AM, MattersEnd said:

Would it be possible IRL to buy your own ACOG, saying you had the money and was willing to do so? I've heard stories of soldiers buying their own 1911's to take into the field when the US switched to the M9.

On 3/14/2016 at 1:22 AM, Hunter_Sh0tz said:

Would it be possible IRL to buy your own ACOG, saying you had the money and was willing to do so? I've heard stories of soldiers buying their own 1911's to take into the field when the US switched to the M9.

yea but most people don't have that $$$

also depends on unit commander

Can US soldiers also take their own bought pistols into the field? And do more different modifications?

4 minutes ago, Mries said:

Can US soldiers also take their own bought pistols into the field? And do more different modifications?

no unless you're really special.

You know, it would be a nice touch that when the backer models came back in, it has the tube taped up...

well thx for the answer, that is something i did not know...i assume it ran like everything else. question since it depends on light...wouldnt that mean the cross hair becomes harder to see in buildings? or you dont need that much light at all? 

Not sure how the ACOG function but the G36A1's red dot varies in strength depending on illumination on the collector. In buildings and under shadow the dot is far less noticeable to the point of disappearing than it is outside during a sunny day.

so why would this style of aiming be so...expansive? it seems to have a large weakness to it. it nice to have to save power in the sunlight but should it work all the time? 

how hard is it to switch the "Red Line" on top to a radiation style on the field?