Caterpiller_JSOC

Gtx 970 SLI vs Gtx 980ti

Currently have a i5 6600K with 2 HD 7970's in crossfire..just wondering what would be the best upgrade for vid card...using a 1080p 144hz monitor

Edited by Caterpiller_JSOC
added text

Wait untill the end of summer/fall when the new cards arrive. And if you cant, go with one 980ti.

Edited by Bad Ash

Dual 970's are about 25 percent more powerful on paper then any 980ti but ti has more vram so more suitable for ultra hd!

SLI 970's will only beat it in tasks like rendering, opencl, cuda, animation or games that have very good sli support. :) Usually a single card is more stable. Still I would always go for two medium-high range fast cards then a single uber expensive one. (2x warranty vs 1x warranty is a simple no brainer).

Overclocking the cpu and gpu's would probably get you the best performance boost for your system. Realize that Squad is very cpu bound.

Buy a new system when new cpu's and cards arrive.

Gl!

Edited by MDInteractive

Majority of games don't bother with SLI nor Crossfire. Even though it's a great idea, in practice it isn't that useful with every game.

Edited by Daankemps

3 minutes ago, Daankemps said:

Majority of games don't bother with SLI nor Crossfire. Even though it's a great idea, in practice it isn't that useful with every game.

This is why I don't SLI anymore.

one fan on one card quit working and some instability and crashes have been happening...4+ year old cards...not only instability in squad but other games too...other option is to buy a 970 for now and then get a top of the line pascal when it comes out and use the 970 as a spare

As a user of two 970's in SLI i would thoroughly recommend buying a single 980TI ;) I'm making the switch as soon as possible!

45 minutes ago, MDInteractive said:

Dual 970's are about 25 percent more powerful on paper then any 980ti but ti has more vram so more suitable for ultra hd!

SLI 970's will only beat it in tasks like rendering, opencl, cuda, animation or games that have very good sli support. :) Usually a single card is more stable. Still I would always go for two medium-high range fast cards then a single uber expensive one. (2x warranty vs 1x warranty is a simple no brainer).

Overclocking the cpu and gpu's would probably get you the best performance boost for your system. Realize that Squad is very cpu bound.

Buy a new system when new cpu's and cards arrive.

Gl!

I mean, his cpu is brand new.

35 minutes ago, Caterpiller_JSOC said:

one fan on one card quit working and some instability and crashes have been happening...4+ year old cards...not only instability in squad but other games too...other option is to buy a 970 for now and then get a top of the line pascal when it comes out and use the 970 as a spare

Nzxt also makes liquid cooling adapters for the video card

980ti for sure, more vram,less hassle and headache,works fine with every game.

980ti will absolutely crush games at 1080 for a very long time and when the new Nvidia cards come out you can always throw the TI on ebay and upgrade if you think you really need it.

Always buy the single fastest card you can unless a single card won't cut it, like 4k/3D etc. then you go SLI to get that extra power. SLI support has never been universal so how much extra performance you get (if any) is largely dependent on the game and settings you're using. SLI is also good if you're using multiple video cards to crunch numbers rather than gaming. 

Get the single 980ti.

Edited by lawnboy

4 hours ago, Caterpiller_JSOC said:

Currently have a i5 6600K with 2 HD 7970's in crossfire..just wondering what would be the best upgrade for vid card...using a 1080p 144hz monitor

How does game play with the HD7970's?  Might not need to upgrade for a while if your getting decent fps.

980ti @ 1080p rips squad apart. I'm playing at 1440p with 60fps on ultra.. if I go to 1080p it just goes 90-100+ fps maxed out. Get the 980ti (I recommend inno3d from overclockers.co.uk. ) One of the most powerful of all the models. I'm using it and it's beast(already overclocked but has some breathing room for more).

In the end you can also sli the 980ti in 2 years or more

i get around 60 fps on medium settings with shadows and effects turned off...the 2 hd 7970s are gigabyte windforce cards so with all the fans are pretty loud on load... and i find on some crossfire settings in various games i get some electronic background noise coming thru... my vid cards are the only component that isnt brand new in my system..looking at the 980ti G1 and the 2 7970's as a spare

I used to have sli 780ti nothing but head ache.. more heat.. more crashes.

Jumped ship to 1 card a EVGA Gtx980ti Strix ... bloody awesome card..

I am running Squad at 1440p 144hz with gysnc monitor, everything maxed.... everything. And I get around 45-55 fps.

And I have an old [email protected]

Anything over 30 is very very playable.