SinisterGlitch

Better Squad leader information feed from squad

I have played Squad for more then 130 hours, half of the time i am dedicated Squad leader.
I will list the common problems with being a squad leader (in a public server).

Since the squad leader has an unique sign, it must remain on point so people know who to follow
    - let squad leader pick a point man with unique symbol or color for the map

When i want to order specific people, i need to press Enter and hover over the names to see who i need to order, this is bad for fast reactions
   - allow squad leaders to see squad names instantly when pressing (M) for map

It is hard for a squad leader to know where his Sniper, Grenadier, AT and AR's are
  - add map icons for every class in his squad (only squad members can see each others symbols)

Edited by SinisterGlitch

Hmmm.  Peoples want everything easy. 

When I want pointmain. I just pick up one name and push him like a goat. Say him which direction and if this player is not absolute dumb it works pretty fine. 

For problem number two I just use my memory. It need practice but after while its not so difficult  memorize 8 nicks. Even if they change. It looks like beautiful and decent brain training in my opinion.  

Problem number three. Question. Answer. Sometimes I need it know it too. So I use my radio and ask. Q: Hey AR where are you ? A: Hey Iam SE from your position. 

Those suggestion which u place they are nice. But peoples will be more and more lazy ... and this game dont need lazy people. I dont know what will developer place inside game. But I hope that they will remember that they can educate peoples too. This small education challenges are something why i love PR and Squad. 

@elerik

Point 1 is actually for the pub's that don't know who to follow when i call out a point man.
The 2 other changes will utilize the professions of the classes i have in my squad.

In real life you know you squad, you know their names and role, so should it be in the game (my opinion).
It is not because of "inexperience" or "being lazy". My squad is almost always the best squad in the match (if you can, look it up).

Edited by SinisterGlitch

Well for pub. Think in bigger scale. you have to create good habits at beginning or they will be bad team players forever. 

In real life ... in real life peoples die and they are replaced. There you can join some clan. Play with them. 

If there is somebody who dont know the game. He have to learn it. If he is weak he will cry that game is hard and he want more "indicators at map" or stuff like that. He is weak. Dont be kind to them. Or we will play with dumb players like in other games. At this moment game is still simple. With supply and other stuff it will be much much harder. If they are not able go through this level how will they act in future ? hm. 

recent dev update says there are big changes coming for the map UI. 

Information which helps with tactics and communication is all good.

Include formation commands in the SL menu within a radius - Interface already exists

Expand the scale with the mouse wheel

Game needs more discipline for strategy potential

UwSM9VY.png

32 minutes ago, lbdv said:

Include formation commands in the SL menu within a radius - Interface already exists

UwSM9VY.png

These formations should just go in an in-game wiki so everyone can read it. Then the squad leader can call them out and the devs don't need to do any extensive coding for formations.

Edited by Mumble

1. Not sure we will spend time on a "point man" mechanic.
  2. This is likely to occur with the updated UI.
  3. We actually don't want looking at the map to be that quick. The Squad management UI will inform you of the player and their role, which will then allow you to pinpoint their position by highlighting or snapping to them (still to be decided). Piece those two things together and you should be able to figure it out pretty quick.

This really isn't an "everything instantly" type game. Using the map is another area that requires slightly more time to look at and evaluate.

On 7/4/2015 at 5:11 AM, Fridod said:

Why do you need a map-marker in the first place? I mean how do you do rangefinding on a real battlefield, huh? Certainly not with a magic popup :)

On my last deployment I had a weapon attachment called the psq  23 aka storm. I also used flash to bang and estimation using a map

6 minutes ago, DaveStone said:

On my last deployment I had a weapon attachment called the psq  23 aka storm. I also used flash to bang and estimation using a map

Army, you high speed mofos. :P

22 hours ago, lbdv said:

UwSM9VY.png

Or we could stick with the good 'ol Lemming formation lemming.jpg

number from 1-9 for the squad members on the map markers. so i can quick and easy say  3 and 6 go right etc.

Edited by Crusader JgBtl292

On 3/10/2016 at 2:24 PM, suds said:

recent dev update says there are big changes coming for the map UI. 

Information which helps with tactics and communication is all good.

this might fix all my problems, then i only have to say "Remember your number" to my squad mates.

Might be better to have the initials of their class, unless a number is associated with a class. So for example medics are always 2 and 3. 

On 3/7/2016 at 7:47 AM, SinisterGlitch said:

When i want to order specific people, i need to press Enter and hover over the names to see who i need to order, this is bad for fast reactions
   - allow squad leaders to see squad names instantly when pressing (M) for map

Yes, yes, yes, yes PLEASE. It would be challenging to make sure that nothing on the map is too crowded (especially with long names), but nonetheless I'm sure that some of the talented devs could make do.

1 hour ago, Tweeg said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes PLEASE. It would be challenging to make sure that nothing on the map is too crowded (especially with long names), but nonetheless I'm sure that some of the talented devs could make do.

The number system is better, they just have to show the internal_squad_id as value, 1 minor change.

Edited by SinisterGlitch

On 10.03.2016 at 1:46 AM, lbdv said:

UwSM9VY.png

wont work.

Tried to do this in ArmA,squads,who take attention on it usually dying first.Too easy target.

To OP.Sounds usefull.I would like to see that UI implement.

Edited by samogon

Why the heck does everyone need a tool for basic stuff?

Do you have this in RL too?

"Oh shit SL shouted "Wedge", better get my nifty cheat-sheet out and see in what position i have to move"

This "tool" is just some shit from ArmA, for morons who cant bind there own boots, with too many micromechanics and clicks.

Cmon....There are two (2) formation you need for SQD:

Line and File, and if you are too dull to form a horizontal or vertical line with a shoulderwide distance left/right or front/back and 5-10m between yourself and the next player, then might go back to the telly and watch Bob the Builder.

And for the other type of guys trying to be a good SL, start using your damn voice!

Get your cursor over the player, call him out, and say what he has to do:

"OY Smith! Get 20m to my right and form a wide line!"

This would cost me 5sec and one click to the comms, not 25 standing still in the mapmenu, presenting a perfect snipertarget.

If you arent sure, that every player understands File and Line, do a quick drytest in the mainbase.
Gather everybody around you, ask per comm if they know this, if not use your voice again:

Line: "4 man to my left, 4 man to my right, 10m distance to each other, and a small distance in front and back like a W (ziggzagg-line)"

Same for the File just 4 man in front and 4 in your back, ziggzagging left and right.

It will cost you a minute extra and nobody will die stupid while doing it.

geez guys...

Edited by Metapher

1 hour ago, Metapher said:

Why the heck does everyone need a tool for basic stuff?

Do you have this in RL too?

"Oh shit SL shouted "Wedge", better get my nifty cheat-sheet out and see in what position i have to move"

This "tool" is just some shit from ArmA, for morons who cant bind there own boots, with too many micromechanics and clicks.

Cmon....There are two (2) formation you need for SQD:

Line and File, and if you are too dull to form a horizontal or vertical line with a shoulderwide distance left/right or front/back and 5-10m between yourself and the next player, then might go back to the telly and watch Bob the Builder.

And for the other type of guys trying to be a good SL, start using your damn voice!

Get your cursor over the player, call him out, and say what he has to do:

"OY Smith! Get 20m to my right and form a wide line!"

This would cost me 5sec and one click to the comms, not 25 standing still in the mapmenu, presenting a perfect snipertarget.

If you arent sure, that every player understands File and Line, do a quick drytest in the mainbase.
Gather everybody around you, ask per comm if they know this, if not use your voice again:

Line: "4 man to my left, 4 man to my right, 10m distance to each other, and a small distance in front and back like a W (ziggzagg-line)"

Same for the File just 4 man in front and 4 in your back, ziggzagging left and right.

It will cost you a minute extra and nobody will die stupid while doing it.

geez guys...

I've seen this kind of reactions before on this forum. something along of (i am good and so should the rest be). is this because of the core PR community doctrine? don't get me wrong, i do realize that we should not make BF3+ out of this game, yet i feel that because some veteran players only play with clan servers and they forget that there are public servers too.

numbering your members is a great idea, if you don't want to use it then don't use it :)

Edited by SinisterGlitch

10 minutes ago, SinisterGlitch said:

Iam not a veteran player, i never played PR, and iam only playing on public server.

But i was in the army, thats the difference.

I dont need another ArmA/BF where everything has a tool for something.

My tool of choice is my voice, and thats what makes this game different from any other.

Its a good digital copy of the life as an infantry soldier. Thats what SQD advertised and thats what we've got.

How do you mark enemies in RL? Shout: "Tango, half left, 400m, at the doubletree". No commorose, no Q-Indicator, no markers

The reallife doesnt have tools, and i dont need such tools in SQD.

The best tool OWI implemented is the local chat.
Use it as often as possible, literaly spam it.

3 hours ago, SinisterGlitch said:

The number system is better, they just have to show the internal_squad_id as value, 1 minor change.

I like this too.

17 minutes ago, Metapher said:

Iam not a veteran player, i never played PR, and iam only playing on public server.

But i was in the army, thats the difference.

I dont need another ArmA/BF where everything has a tool for something.

My tool of choice is my voice, and thats what makes this game different from any other.

Its a good digital copy of the life as an infantry soldier. Thats what SQD advertised and thats what we've got.

How do you mark enemies in RL? Shout: "Tango, half left, 400m, at the doubletree". No commorose, no Q-Indicator, no markers

The reallife doesnt have tools, and i dont need such tools in SQD.

The best tool OWI implemented is the local chat.
Use it as often as possible, literaly spam it.

ArmA is good game,but it broken.It has no adequate public servers.Organized PvP games kinda nice

But don't compare real life and a game(You don't feel hunger,fatigue,if you die - you're respawn).IRL tactics doesn't work here,but tactical knowledge of infantry warfare may make your game easier,even basics.

Commanding... well it's really depends.In IRL army you have no choice - you're obey the orders,even if your commander is dumb.Here - you simply may leave and create your own squad with blackjack and hookers,if you think your SL are moron.But if you like your SL and think same - you will enjoy this game.

Edited by samogon

30 minutes ago, samogon said:

ArmA is good game,but it broken.It has no adequate public servers.Organized PvP games kinda nice

But don't compare real life and a game(You don't feel hunger,fatigue,if you die - you're respawn).IRL tactics doesn't work here,but tactical knowledge of infantry warfare may make your game easier,even basics.

Commanding... well it's really depends.In IRL army you have no choice - you're obey the orders,even if your commander is dumb.Here - you simply may leave and create your own squad with blackjack and hookers,if you think your SL are moron.But if you like your SL and think same - you will enjoy this game.

ARMA a great game (me as colonel, my members and my captain to the right, a shame that the mods were too "hacky" and to much of the same. (yes graphics are low because you want a good framerate)

10399732_1544532022527478_68806816637121

90% of the time in ARMA3 as HQ im sitting on base with my map up giving orders to squads (sometimes 80 players) and listening to the radio to do a preemptive assist. I am missing a commander spot. This might be boring for a lot of players, yet this will complete the squad lead hierarchy.

Edited by SinisterGlitch