ShaunOfCathay

On the overdone genre "World War Two"

As one of "those guys" working on that thing you hate and think is overdone I kind of want to chime in.

Has the setting "western front" been done a lot? Sure, it has. Lots of games had that setting, lots of good games, lots of bad games. To be honest in that concept "degrading" Squad by doing an overdone theatre is also done by itself by going for the Afghanistan type maps. I still don't feel bad playing these though.

Has it been done right in the way I'd like to see it and how I imagine things and maybe others as well? I don't believe so, at least not in recent times and not on this gen visuals and not with what is currently announced. (Day of Infamy, Battalion: 1944 …) What I want to do and plan to do and am working on to do is a game in that setting (at least at first) that feels and plays right. That has the right amount of scale and features and plays at least a bit different than all games following the current resurgence of World War 2 games. Which all (except PR:WW2 of course) follow small scale actions and twitch shooting mechanics.

I want to see a core-squad gameplay in an older setting, slower, tactical, punishing and depending on teamplay.

Will that be something for everyone? Hell, no, it was never and will never be. And if it ends being played by nobody because nobody cares, then – in the end – our vision wasn't the one that fit into other peoples minds.

And here's something FOR the western front in the end.

There are LOTS of fronts and theaters I'd love to tackle game-wise, Italy for example being one of them. The orginal western campaign (Germany vs. France/Britain) being another. And I really, really enjoy planning for it, and if I will be able to get them through I will be the happiest guy ever, but the thing to consider as well is: You want people to play that game. You want people to get hooked onto it and get some recognition, especially if you are a modding team. And that – as a start – is easier when presenting something they know quite well.

In the end, if things work out there is nothing that hinders us from adding different campaigns and theaters onto it.

3 hours ago, r0tzbua said:

As one of "those guys" working on that thing you hate and think is overdone I kind of want to chime in.

I never said I hated it, in fact I would probably end up playing a Western front mod/expansion anyways. I would prefer it if it were a different or less than mainstream setting but that's not going to stop me from enjoying a content deriving from a game I paid a hundred dollars for; the PR:WW2 beta in January was probably the most enjoyable PR update since the standalone update. 

And isn't the point to create a unique SQ experience with a WW2 for SQ players? To attract people with something "recognizable" by doing a Normandy or post-1944 Western front would not really hook people who are not already interested in SQ (because as per the OP, there are already two new "WW2" IPs). I honestly don't think SQ players are going to want to play in Italian campaign setting any less than they want to play in Normandy. Would you not rather mod an Italian front with weapons, kits, uniforms, and vehicles not already modeled dozens of times and create a SQ:WW2 experience that throws itself out of that overdone curve? 

Oh I thought I should post this video as it pretty much is the basis of my argument. 

2 hours ago, ShaunOfCathay said:

I honestly don't think SQ players are going to want to play in Italian campaign setting any less than they want to play in Normandy. Would you not rather mod an Italian front with weapons, kits, uniforms, and vehicles not already modeled dozens of times and create a SQ:WW2 experience that throws itself out of that overdone curve? 

It may be, may not be. The point of a mod is not only to draw existing players into something, also to draw new players into a base game maybe. The amount of sales Counter Strike made for Half Life, or DayZ made for ArmA is something in that regard. It simply is that a western front or Normandy setting attracts a wider audience than any obscure setting or lesser known.

Also quite recently seen in the initial Squad selling point which may have opened it up to wider audiences with real life conflicts rather than the more "weird" ones with conventional force vs. conventional force that PR is also quite well known for.

And of course, I'd love to create an italian campaign sooner than later, but especially an italian campaign that is done well doesn't do a whole lot of new kits, new weapons and uniform, since the italian surrender came quite early after the landing on the main land and if the campaign and possible locations should span a broader timeline, we're at US (Brits/Canadians) vs. Germans again.

Not saying it can't be done, because alone from an artistic standpoint and level-design wise Italy is super exciting.

I had this idea before do not remember if I mentioned it.....A way you could integrate mods into the main game by having option to play WW2 as a next round while playing Squad in modern setting. For example:  You just played a round of Squad five times or more, now the server changes the scene and now your on the front of WW2, Normandy or what ever campaign.  And then you play that for five rounds and switch back or you go to Vietnam for five rounds....So, your Mods are integrated into the whole experience of Squad.  I would like to try it out.  :)

5 hours ago, XRobinson said:

I had this idea before do not remember if I mentioned it.....A way you could integrate mods into the main game by having option to play WW2 as a next round while playing Squad in modern setting. For example:  You just played a round of Squad five times or more, now the server changes the scene and now your on the front of WW2, Normandy or what ever campaign.  And then you play that for five rounds and switch back or you go to Vietnam for five rounds....So, your Mods are integrated into the whole experience of Squad.  I would like to try it out.  :)

I would assume that is how mods would be integrated, it would be weird if it came in a separate launcher with a different UI or something. Content for the game really only lies in the maps which different factions, weapons, kits, vehicles, and whatnot are self-contained, In fact that is how it works for PR where the mini-mod maps are included in the map list by default. It just depends on map votes or admin preference. 

I find it interesting that people often complains about the overdone WWII setting. But if on the other hand we go over and over again with the US army or Marines to Afganistan that's somehow ok. And even fictional modern day conflicts between the US and China or Russia have been done to death.

There are only so much time periodes you can cover in games and after so many years with modern warfare in deserts, it's time to pull out WWII again. So a WWII mod would be awesome IMO.

Shaun&Robinson

I believe they will do a separate server browser for modded and vanilla content. To my understanding that means a server owner applies for a license for a modded server OR vanilla server. But as they've said if the mod matches Squads standards they are happy to integrate it and reimburse the makers. That way an WW2 mod for example would become vanilla content

can i say something,

i never thought the word WW2 and overdone would ever go together because...WW2 are a handful while we being shower from modern shooters. 

Squad Vietnam:

Awesome UE4 Jungle on next gen hardware...............

Foliage destruction, terrain deformation, burning jungle, napalm

m16a1, ak47, assorted ww2 weaponry, m60

traps, tunnels

Is WW2 but 10 times better !

8 hours ago, Helofly said:

I find it interesting that people often complains about the overdone WWII setting. But if on the other hand we go over and over again with the US army or Marines to Afganistan that's somehow ok. And even fictional modern day conflicts between the US and China or Russia have been done to death.

There are only so much time periodes you can cover in games and after so many years with modern warfare in deserts, it's time to pull out WWII again. So a WWII mod would be awesome IMO.

WW2 was a very influential period in history with many iconic battles that have been reported about and are still fresh in people's minds. Being able to play a game about those battles is just something people want to do.

The weapons of the period were simplistic compared to modern arms so the emphasis of those games is more about gameplay and not about unlocking the latest technical advance to attach to your weapons or vehicles and with the added complications of making them work. WW2 was point & shoot and better for it imho.

Battlefield 1942 is still the greatest World War II Multiplayer FPS ever made. Wish it could be re released with a new engine.

33 minutes ago, ShaunOfCathay said:

Anyone know how to add polls to threads? I'd like to see a somewhat bigger picture on people's opinions on WW2 

I doubt having a poll is going to further the reach of this thread.

That said, a cursory head count of opinions here should suffice, albeit the resulting consensus here appears to be contrary to your own view.

If we were having this conversation 10 years ago, I am sure the outcome would be different - but 10 years is a long time for gamers (heck, anyone) and the demand for new, AAA quality WW2 titles is definitely an emerging trend.

Until this point, I didn't understand the draw of WWII anymore.  But doing it right, Squad/PR style as someone said, would be the ultimate for a lot of us 30 somethings and older.

Edited by CageMatchKimsey

There was a poll a while ago about the era for mods and WW2 won by a good margin on here. I am sure if the BF & CoD crowd had a poll it would win or be placed pretty high there as well.

Not going to lie ..... If there was a Squad mod for the old BF42 maps, including xpacs, I would cream myself.  Obviously they would need updated and made more realistic but .... OMG THE EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!

It was the biggest thing to ever happen in human history, by a huge margin.  I don't think it will get old for a long time yet.

5 hours ago, Iron said:

Not going to lie ..... If there was a Squad mod for the old BF42 maps, including xpacs, I would cream myself.  Obviously they would need updated and made more realistic but .... OMG THE EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!

Well as mentioned earlier in this thread, there are already people working on ww2 mods, so you might be in for a thrill ride :D

On 3/17/2016 at 8:15 PM, +++++ said:

We would like to do a Resistance gameplay mode pits a team of Polish resistance fighters against the Nazi occupiers.

A search and destroy of sorts? Germans search and destroy resistance stockpiles whilst resistance fighters destroy valuable German assets (Tanks, emplacements, etc)? I'm not sure what the end goal would be in that situation.

16 hours ago, PinguThePenguin said:

A search and destroy of sorts? Germans search and destroy resistance stockpiles whilst resistance fighters destroy valuable German assets (Tanks, emplacements, etc)? I'm not sure what the end goal would be in that situation.

That sounds exactly like insurgency mode, which I would not mind at all. Though that sort of gamemode would indeed require asymmetrical factions such as Polish resistance vs Wehrmacht or Chinese guerrillas vs Imperial Japanese Army. 

On 4/23/2016 at 6:34 PM, PinguThePenguin said:

The rough concept is:

Werhmacht/SS spawn in town and must find Polish stockpiles of munitions in the forests/marshland. They are bogged down by vehicles that act as both boon and bane. The Polish fighters must fight with whatever weaponry they have against the German army. It's basically going to be a Chechen/Russian or Insurgency type game mode. There are a couple of crucial differences between our gameplay and Squad's insurgency mode however, but I'll go into them on launch. 

The majority of the gameplay will be the resistance fighters blowing out bridges and cornering the heavy armour in impassable terrain - not actually destroying them. 

Edited by +++++

25 minutes ago, Daver said:

1944game will never come out. Its dead.

Damn you Master con-artist Ronan Hayes 9_9