Yup, I have no idea where this "most pros do this lol" is coming from. With irons you don't even use sights in cqb, we trained muscle memory/non firing hand finger point to engage targets that close, taking aim is pointless and wastes too much time. That close its more like playing duck hunt, you don't aim, you can just point and shoot. If you are engaging long range targets you always use one eye, zeroing at long range (as pros do) with one eye and then shooting at any range with two will cause one hell of a paralex issue that will make the sights even more useless in cqb.

All this changes with red dots, but with irons I have not once heard of firing both eyes open while actually looking through the sights, that is crazyness. Damn you blue drake for spreading such lies.

This. You really don't shoot with both eyes open using iron sights. It has 2 points that require being lined up in order to aim correctly, if we're not talking about muscle memory firing like you mentioned. You cant focus on the aperture or peep sight without lining up your rear and front irons, and 1 eye works so much better than 2. But when you have a red dot sight, you only have 1 point to focus on, making it a ton easier to aim comfortably, now that you can keep both eyes open. Also helps to increase situational awareness.

To my understandement you only have both eyes open when aiming with a reflex/red-dot sight. This doesn't work as good with normal iron sights since there is no illuminated dot, thus the only eye you normally have open is the one directly behind the iron sights. Of course, you could still have both eyes open with an iron sight, and the blur effect would be there, but practically it doesn't work nearly as good as with one eye open only, especially when shooting at distance targets.

tl;dr:

red-dots: blur

iron-sights: no blur

there's still a blur on the rear sight... especially if it's mounted real far back towards your face. if you're focusing on the front sight or the target, the rear sight's going to be out of focus and therefore blurry to some extent. on my AK, it's very, very faint blur -- but that's also due to the fact that my AK's rear sight is so much further up the rifle compared to where an AR15's rear sight is almost always installed.

I never aim with one eye closed because i just can't close eyes independently, whether it's iron sights or scopes.

+1, would be a good addition for m16 series Weapon's:

:Tgqq7qf.png

I find that type of sight way too obtrusive in games, even semi trasparency around the inside of the ring would be a big improvement.

there's still a blur on the rear sight... especially if it's mounted real far back towards your face. if you're focusing on the front sight or the target, the rear sight's going to be out of focus and therefore blurry to some extent.

I'm going to check that in a minute.

**snip**

there's still a blur on the rear sight..**snip***

Blur =/= (is not) transparent.. Just to keep these two terms separated which both happen in iron sight when you keep your both eyes open. I don't say you don't know it, but trying to throw that in before this thread goes to haywire.

@RJ1 I have similar feeling which you describe guide well, those kind of non-blurred and/or non-trasparent sights feels too obtrusive (...and in some sense even floating).

+1, would be a good addition for m16 series Weapon's:

:Tgqq7qf.png

I find that type of sight way too obtrusive in games, even semi trasparency around the inside of the ring would be a big improvement.

Indeed, AR-15 style iron sights are among the worst when portrayed in games. They simply block your target acquisition awareness, follow up shots can be very difficult because you see a big chunk of metal where you would really only see the front sight post, with most of the rest of it about 50% transparent. I imagine that M4-M16 style weapons will benefit the most from this along with MP5-G3 style sights.

AK style sights will likely have the least improvement of all of the sights I can think of.

All that being said. Not promising anything, and not an immediate concern of ours as there won't likely be many western armies that end up using iron sights in the final iteration of the game, and the opfor factions typically have iron sights that are very forgiving when it comes to this, like AK family sights.

Yup, I have no idea where this "most pros do this lol" is coming from. With irons you don't even use sights in cqb, we trained muscle memory/non firing hand finger point to engage targets that close, taking aim is pointless and wastes too much time. That close its more like playing duck hunt, you don't aim, you can just point and shoot. If you are engaging long range targets you always use one eye, zeroing at long range (as pros do) with one eye and then shooting at any range with two will cause one hell of a paralex issue that will make the sights even more useless in cqb.

All this changes with red dots, but with irons I have not once heard of firing both eyes open while actually looking through the sights, that is crazyness. Damn you blue drake for spreading such lies.

This is how I aim while shooting with irons, so yeah...  ;)

+1 to OP even though user Dani totally posted the exact same thing about 3 hours before you.

Wow, you are right. I totally stole his post  :lol: I feel like a terrible person now.  :(

even with one eye closed there would still be a noticable Depth Of Field effect depending the distance you are focusing at . . .

This.

Iron Sight -> Blur

Red Dot -> transparent

Iron Sights as scope style optics can be both transparent and blurred (Depth of View). It only depends how you look them in RL, if you have point of focus correct, both eyes open or only one eye open etc. In computer game this is not possible (if we do not count Oculus Rift style of stereo vision devices and games designed just for them) and the designers need to choose one state / action from real life or try to mimic the variaty of situations happening in RL with artistic freedom at the same time judging what will work gameplay perspective.

My point in this post were that the style of sights in OPs post is good and tested compromise on this matter. Those aren't the best I have seen, but still rather good what comes to the parts and amount of blur and transparency, also the front bead seems to be a bit too big I think (if we compare to width of it to the enemy at aprox. 15meters away. I have somewhere understood/thought/read that the those style of beads in mil guns are typically adjusted to equal the shoulder width of typical male in somewhere at 100 to 150 meters area.).

Here is another implementation (from R6 era TFPS descentant) of that style of irons. (the distance to enemies is aprox. 200 meters, just to give sense of relations and gun is namely M16)

Jointops%2525202015-06-24%25252012-39-50

Here is the pic of RJ1 for comparison. While this have much more details than above it just feels unnatural and glued on top.

Tgqq7qf.png

Here is the OP picture from R6 descentant. This on the other hand feels unnatural because of colors and color variations. (Plus it somehow seems to have too wide front bead)

ME0000662567_2.jpg

I think the only time I shoot both eyes open is skeet... and while I hate those little orange tricksters, I'm not about to start shooting every gun I own with both eyes.

It would be nice if Squad included that kind of visual effect to shooting.

This is more of a question than a suggestion. Will there be a dual-mode ACOG scope? Like in PR, ACOG scope have a "red-dot" quick target acquisition mode *AND* magnified scope mode (for long range). If yes, here comes the suggestion: to change between modes, you could do something like Ctrl+RMB instead of pressing "C". It would be nice to be possible to switch between modes without having to pull the weapon back and forth as well.

Welcome to the forums!

If it was in PR, I'm sure it will be featured in Squad too, atleast I can't think of a reason why they shouldn't implement it (besides technical limitations, which I don't think will occur).

Tactically speaking, that scope is excellent. The only thing I would change is the way it's operated. Having to "RMB, C and RMB" again just to change between modes is a little too slow. But it's great to hear that they'll implement it.

My hope is that this functionality will be enabled for all scopes, whether or not they actually have back-up sights - Generally, at the distances at which it becomes preferable to use them, not having actual sights is still going to be way less of a detriment than being forced to either look through the scope or hipfire.

And the absence of a secondary weapon (like a pistol) for most classes makes hipfire mandatory if you are using magnified scopes and don't have the option to switch to an un-magnified one. Sorry if I say something wrong, I'm relatively new to PR.

Wouldn't it be more realistic to have a razor sharp focus on the front sight and have the environment be fuzzy to some degree.

I know thats how it is when I am a firearm with irons. I focus on the front sight thus the target is blurred.

Wouldn't it be more realistic to have a razor sharp focus on the front sight and have the environment be fuzzy to some degree.

I know thats how it is when I am a firearm with irons. I focus on the front sight thus the target is blurred.

Focusing on the front sight and not the target is indeed how most people teach shooting with iron sights.

Focusing on the front sight and not the target is indeed how most people teach shooting with iron sights.

gibonez, on 13 Jul 2015 - 01:49 AM, said:snapback.png

This.

I think it would be neat to have focus on the target initially with blurred end sight, then using the "shift to focus" have the focus shift onto the end sight and the target become blurry.

Clear sharp sights, clear sharp sights, clear sharp sights...

Would also make the argued "press to focus eyes key" a bit more understandable for those that don't realize the technical limitations that force this to be the way it is.

The Aimpoint Micro T-1 is a red dot sight built to offer the ruggedness and reliability of Aimpoint's other sights in a small, lightweight package. The sight works ideally as a standalone optic, but can also be used on top of higher magnifying scopes and night vision optics.

UT85ISMXhxgXXagOFbXI.jpg