Ironsights are a lost art nowadays. I still love them, though, but everyone has been spoiled by games that let you throw an optic onto every single weapon available. It might not be as easy to engage at long range with irons as it is with a 4x scope, but the AK series honestly has pretty open and non-obtrusive irons when you're aiming, especially when compared to flip-up sights or peep sights on something like a G3.

I find the AK's and its variants iron sights to be pretty awful IMO. Personally not a fan of open rifle-type sights. Your eye line is right above the bore level and the rear sight and receiver block a lot of valuable FOV. Most games cheat this by awkwardly raising your point of view so that the front sight appears much, much higher than the rear sight so the front sight post is the only thing that matters, see here: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/battlefield/images/f/f6/BFBC2V_AK47_IS.png/revision/latest?cb=20120331145343

Of course that would not work at all in reality, you'd be way over your target and look foolish. Aperture sights are ideal, as you have good visibility of the immediate area around the target. It is definitely easier to line open rifle sights up at a long range target, since there isn't much room for error on proper alignment, but that doesn't matter much in close range shooting. 

As for scopes on insurgent weapons. Maybe a busted up or very dirty warsaw pact scope that has limited usability. I don't think that would be outrageous to have. I know I hated not having a magnified optic in PR unless it was a CQB map. Shooting anyone beyond 100m felt pointless as you can neither see where your rounds are impacting nor achieve good identification, that tiny digital man 200M away has much less detail then a person 200M away in reality. 

Insurgents had all kinds of cool gear and game perks that made playing them a blast. Infinite tickets, bomb cars, IEDs, far more transport cars/bikes, civis, crateless fobs, etc. The issue with many players was that they don't take full advantage of all of these perks. You get an organized insurgent squad, running around setting ambushes and plotting to suicide the APCs, you got your self a good time! :)

Insurgents won't really be featured in AAS mode as soon as we have more time to implement other game modes and other factions.

Don't worry about it, we just aren't there yet.

This is again one of those questions, but....

Could we have at some point broadened Insurgency faction (paramilitia, 3rd country supported etc.) for AAS (and maybe other) gamemode purposes?

I predict the answer is somethign like ... maybe. :P

I'd like to see something similar to what Rainbow Six: Lockdown (RSL) did with their iron sights while in ADS in Squad. In RSL they added an interesting feature that added a bit more immersion and situational awareness into their aiming system by recreating the same effect that happens naturally when aiming with both eyes open (as mostly all skilled shooters do). As seen in the image provided, the rear sight becomes a sort of semi-transparent "ghost ring", while the front sight stays completely "solid". This feature would allow the player's weapon to be a bit less obstructive to his view will in ADS.

Example image

ME0000662567_2.jpg

Thanks for reading! Tell me what you think.  :D

Not impossible, and could probably fit in with one of the future upgrades I have in mind for scopes, piggybacking off the same module, but... it will be some time before I touch that, many other things take priority over it sadly.

We will get there eventually :)

Not impossible, and could probably fit in with one of the future upgrades I have in mind for scopes, piggybacking off the same module, but... it will be some time before I touch that, many other things take priority over it sadly.

We will get there eventually :)

Yay! I'd really like to see this feature added. Thank you for replying Z-trooper.  :)

why you want a simulated blurry Vision ? ^^ if you focus your eyes on a target with tunnel vision (especially while concentrate and aiming a 200m+  range target with iron sight) you become a natural blurry vision even on a Monitor.

because you can partly see through your rear sight, freeing up more of your screen space for situational awareness

because you can partly see through your rear sight, freeing up more of your screen space for situational awareness

(I would like to add if someone wonders why the blur)

Partly see through happens because of stereo vision we have. One eye looks through the iron sights, while another eye (usually left for right handed ones) looks past the scope and our brains then blends the input of both eyes to something that those kind of "see through / blurred" sight in games try to mimic. From mouth of someone who have no formal training to speak about human vision. You can test this by placing two fingers front of your eye while reading this topic.

That style of scopes sights are really good, tbh.

why you want a simulated blurry Vision ? ^^ if you focus your eyes on a target with tunnel vision (especially while concentrate and aiming a 200m+  range target with iron sight) you become a natural blurry vision even on a Monitor.

Atleast for me it doesn't work that way. Plus monitor is flat image and the 3D engines only mimics the deepness with geometrical "tricks" and some effects (ie. by fog) so it should not work in that way on first place.

Transparency on the iron sights? It is a bad joke. You can't see over iron. Try it in real life ;)

Transparency on the iron sights? It is a bad joke. You can't see over iron. Try it in real life ;)

I would if my long gun would have irons installed, but I just can't be arsed to screw them in place and loose the scopes zeroing. :)

TBH, I don't see it as making that much of a difference, since PR and to the looks, squad don't zoom in on the iron sights like other FPS', the irons sights are quite small.

I already take sights over scopes most of the time due to the extra peripheral it gives, it seems like a bit of a waste.

It does bring up an interesting enquirey as how one would handle sights like the Cuban "Vilma"

cuba-tfb.jpg

"-to use it you need to use both eyes, with one seen in direction of the target and the other focuses on the IR red dot at the target, well, very uncomfortable for my taste. The sight is plastic and has a battery.

"The viewer Vilma is a first-generation Red Dot. The eye receives the red dot director and the other looks white when binocular vision matched the red dot on the target open fire. Experts say this increases the probability of impact by 95%.
a friend of mine recently conducted a firing exercise. Using targets up to 400 meters without difficulty.

Basically it works like the old occluded eye sight OES You keep both eyes open one on the sight with a Red dot in the center on a white back ground well the other looks at the target the brain tries too blend these images together and in the process removes the white of the sight but leaves the red dot floating on the target. a simple optical illusion."

Scource: TFB

I'd like to see something similar to what Rainbow Six: Lockdown (RSL) did with their iron sights while in ADS in Squad. In RSL they added an interesting feature that added a bit more immersion and situational awareness into their aiming system by recreating the same effect that happens naturally when aiming with both eyes open (as mostly all skilled shooters do). As seen in the image provided, the rear sight becomes a sort of semi-transparent "ghost ring", while the front sight stays completely "solid". This feature would allow the player's weapon to be a bit less obstructive to his view will in ADS.

Example image

ME0000662567_2.jpg

Thanks for reading! Tell me what you think.  :D

+1

. . . purely from an immersion standpoint, this View looks excellent. . . . maybe toned down just a tad ;-)

+1 to OP even though user Dani totally posted the exact same thing about 3 hours before you.

I would if my long gun would have irons installed, but I just can't be arsed to screw them in place and loose the scopes zeroing. :)

I have an Enfield .303- And you don't get this ghost ring effect when focusing on the front sight whilst aiming at a target.

I have also fired a Ruger Scout in .308 and the iron sights on that do blur whilst focusing through the front sight.

A Remington 7615 with ringed sights blurs too.

I find it's different depending on the shape of the iron sight. 

I can't imagine getting any blur looking through an AK-74 style sight, maybe you would on an M16 style sight- I don't know with these because I've not looked through them... Based on the various sights I've looked through, this is the impression- Maybe it's just me? I've never discussed it with anyone.

I have an Enfield .303- And you don't get this ghost ring effect when focusing on the front sight whilst aiming at a target.

I have also fired a Ruger Scout in .308 and the iron sights on that do blur whilst focusing through the front sight.

A Remington 7615 with ringed sights blurs too.

I find it's different depending on the shape of the iron sight.

I can't imagine getting any blur looking through an AK-74 style sight, maybe you would on an M16 style sight- I don't know with these because I've not looked through them... Based on the various sights I've looked through, this is the impression- Maybe it's just me? I've never discussed it with anyone.

it seems its most common on peep sights, and not open ones.

i own both an Izhmash SGL31 (civilian ak74) and a few AR15s with the commonly seen LMT rear sight and youre correct. the AKs rear sight still blurs but its not as dramatic of an effect as the AR due to the fact that theres less iron sight physically in front of you to naturally blur when you focus on a point beyond it.

Alright, thanks for clarifying then.

Being Australian most of the guns I have access to/own are for Hunting, so it's rare that I'm able to get the opportunity to use a weapon that doesn't have a scope on it.

Alright, thanks for clarifying then.

Being Australian most of the guns I have access to/own are for Hunting, so it's rare that I'm able to get the opportunity to use a weapon that doesn't have a scope on it.

oh, that isnt you in your avatar?

To my understandment you only have both eyes open when aiming with a reflex/red-dot sight. This doesn't work as good with normal iron sights since there is no illuminated dot, thus the only eye you normally have open is the one directly behind the iron sights. Of course, you could still have both eyes open with an iron sight, and the blur effect would be there, but practically it doesn't work nearly as good as with one eye open only, especially when shooting at distance targets.

tl;dr:

red-dots: blur

iron-sights: no blur

To my understandement you only have both eyes open when aiming with a reflex/red-dot sight. This doesn't work as good with normal iron sights since there is no illuminated dot, thus the only eye you normally have open is the one directly behind the iron sights. Of course, you could still have both eyes open with an iron sight, and the blur effect would be there, but practically it doesn't work nearly as good as with one eye open only, especially when shooting at distance targets.

Yup, I have no idea where this "most pros do this lol" is coming from. With irons you don't even use sights in cqb, we trained muscle memory/non firing hand finger point to engage targets that close, taking aim is pointless and wastes too much time. That close its more like playing duck hunt, you don't aim, you can just point and shoot. If you are engaging long range targets you always use one eye, zeroing at long range (as pros do) with one eye and then shooting at any range with two will cause one hell of a paralex issue that will make the sights even more useless in cqb.

All this changes with red dots, but with irons I have not once heard of firing both eyes open while actually looking through the sights, that is crazyness. Damn you blue drake for spreading such lies.