I think it's good with 2D scopes, but then animations when moving rifle while aimed should simulate the 3D scope movement.

It's not that UE is inefficient... it's that all graphics hardware is inefficient at it.  You can count on your hand the number of games that do 3d scopes, and they don't have nearly close to the same draw distance we have.   Games like Red Orchistra have a major FPS drop whenever they render their 3d scopes, but they can get away with it because they aren't spending their entire FPS budget rendering 4km of terrain and trees.  

That's something I haven't taken into account. I really hope they won't be scrapped.

I really hope that the scopes only "zoom in" in the areas inside the scope not outside it, since that would take away from realism and immersiveness

I really hope that the scopes only "zoom in" in the areas inside the scope not outside it, since that would take away from realism and immersiveness

So like every other FPS game ever created, minus a handful ;)

RO2 did it really well, even on huge detailed maps. What were they doing differently? Apart from not everyone having a scope of course. 

RO2 did it really well, even on huge detailed maps. What were they doing differently? Apart from not everyone having a scope of course. 

Their view distances are like 200 meters at most before Fog starts taking over.  That and their hugely detailed maps have a large number of constricted areas and conveniently placed view blockers that prevent you from rendering the whole map.  

We simply cannot do that with the size and scope of our maps, and if it comes down to 3d scopes or 4km maps... we are going to pick the 4km maps.  

Their view distances are like 200 meters at most before Fog starts taking over.  That and their hugely detailed maps have a large number of constricted areas and conveniently placed view blockers that prevent you from rendering the whole map.  

We simply cannot do that with the size and scope of our maps, and if it comes down to 3d scopes or 4km maps... we are going to pick the 4km maps.  

Are the scopes not working in the current build? The gameplay footage I've seen so far doesn't betray a performance drop when ADS. 

The scopes (at least the ACOG) seem to be functioning based on the footage I've seen. I don't think they are yet at the level of detail and fidelity the team wants them as there are some technical details they have to work and iterate through, as Roy said.

The scopes (at least the ACOG) seem to be functioning based on the footage I've seen. I don't think they are yet at the level of detail and fidelity the team wants them as there are some technical details they have to work and iterate through, as Roy said.

Well that's why I started the thread in the first place: I think they should keep the scope resolution low to keep balance between magnified and non-magnified rifles and because it helps simulate the difficulty of using a rifle scope. 

I love 3D scopes. However, if you guys need to choose between 3D scopes and map size or map detail then ditch the 3D scopes. 2D scopes work fine in Project Reality, the only issue I have with them is the animations on some are a bit buggy for me when you click to aim. They work perfectly fine otherwise. 

I hope the PiP thing stays, maybe just hold it off for optimisation, if there is any to be had.

How about if they remove the PiP scopes, make the scope zoom like in BF4 or Arma where the whole screen zooms in, but don't paint the reticle on the sight and instead have the reticle behave like the aiming point of a red dot sight and the have a "fog" of sorts be part of the reticle to simulate the parallax effect?

If they did do that, that would completely remove the realism of what a scope actually does.  bf4 and arma are horrible with scopes.  Blowing up an entire area is not what a scope or acog does.  

If they can't get the current scopes to function well, that is likely the route they will be going with.

If they did do that, that would completely remove the realism of what a scope actually does.  bf4 and arma are horrible with scopes.  Blowing up an entire area is not what a scope or acog does.  

It's still a better alternative to ArmA 2/pretty much any other game's implementations of scopes (IE reticle is always in the centre of the screen), it'd either be incredibly nauseating (Flashbacks to BiA) with weapon sway or incredibly unbalanced without. 

Of course Render-to-texture is the preferred method, but if that proves to be too expensive performance-wise, there's little wrong with making this sort of compromise.

I think it is best to have two options. 1. The scope is in its current form. 2. PR style scope function for those with lesser hardware/ and or prefer it. 

I think it is best to have two options. 1. The scope is in its current form. 2. PR style scope function for those with lesser hardware/ and or prefer it. 

It does sound ideal, and with enough funding we can do that, but in my ears it sounds like 2x the work to achieve the same thing ;)

If 3d scope is not implemented , is it at least possible only zoom the scope area instead of the hole screen, could save FPS and still maintaining the immersiveless

If 3d scope is not implemented , is it at least possible only zoom the scope area instead of the hole screen, could save FPS and still maintaining the immersiveless

This is exactly what render-to-texture does, far as I know there's no way around it without rendering the scene twice. It's either the whole screen is zoomed in, or RTT.

Well could there be somesorth of "black hole" / premasking / geometrical filter (what ever would programmer use) solution to not draw and calculate twice the areas that overlaps. I assume it would need heavy poking of the engine itself I assume. I have no idea of these ( nor much else :P ) just throwing nonsense around.

Keep in mind stuff like this could actually affect game balance.