mate have you ever looked down ironsights before, when you look down the rear sight aperture aligned with a foresight your vision magnifies a bit.

Trust me, I'm a member of the Army Cadet Force, I've done quite a bit shooting as a cadet myself training for my Lance corporal

Lol no. The "image" through the sights get a bit more sharper, but that's it. Your whole vision doesn't get magically zoomed in.

If you check out bad benson YouTube channel he is working on something really cool for scopes in arma 3. I think once the squad dev team has time to really test or get a lil bigger they could get some cool score features down they just need some time is all.

Lol no. The "image" through the sights get a bit more sharper, but that's it. Your whole vision doesn't get magically zoomed in.

yeah that was wrong wording, it's hard stuff to describe but it does feel as if slightly magnifies, need to spend more time on the range, I'm not that far into my cadet career, I'm not a senior yet.

Render target is pretty harsh on performance, especially for the scale that Squad is trying to achieve.

It would be possible to implement the dual-render scope "CoD Ghosts" (the sniper aiming) and dual sights, but for all weapons with visor with some magnification?

call-of-duty-ghosts-how-to-quick-scope.j

Hi,

As maps will Maybe have dynamic weather and day/night cycle, it Will be good if we can adjust the light intensity of the crosshair on optics. I know that eotech Red dot sight have this feature, but I don't know about ACOG and other scopes though

EDIT :

Sorry for the mistake on the title, but I can't change it.

Ability to CHANGE .......

I think this is a really good idea OP. Especially since, as you mentioned, we are going to be expecting dynamic day/night cycles sometime down the road.

The reason you want this feature (and the reason it is included on these EOTech/Aimpoint style optics) is because if your target is strongly lit you need a strongly visible reticle, whereas if your reticle is super bright at night, it will wash-out your ability to see your target

+1

I think this is a really good idea OP. Especially since, as you mentioned, we are going to be expecting dynamic day/night cycles sometime down the road.

The reason you want this feature (and the reason it is included on these EOTech/Aimpoint style optics) is because if your target is strongly lit you need a strongly visible reticle, whereas if your reticle is super bright at night, it will wash-out your ability to see your target

+1

Yeah agree, just need to wait Devs answers

So far I love the look of Squad, but the feature that first jumped out at me was the scopes. The scopes in this game look *amazing.* Anyone who has looked through an acog can tell you that, except for chevron, this game replicates the experience almost perfectly. 

My question is: is the draw distance the same in the scope as it is in the rest of the game? Some mods of Arma 3 have 3D scopes with Picture in Picture rendering, but the draw distance is much smaller than the native draw distance which can put a damper on their usefulness. 

My question/suggestion is about the resolution. For performance reasons, the resolution of the scope is only in 720p. How about we *DONT* allow players to adjust the scope resolution and keep it at the low resolution? Scopes in real life, though certainly easier than iron sights, don't turn your rifle into an ultra-precise lead-slinging killing machine. I feel like the lower resolution on the scopes goes a long way towards replicating this difficulty and helps balance the fight between those who have magnified optics and those who don't. Those who have magnified optics, especially in long-range shootouts like in afghanistan, certainly have an advantage, but not the towering, insurmountable advantage that PR gives them. 

My other suggestion is a lot simpler: how about illuminating the chevrons in the ACOG? The acog, as many of you know, has a fiber-optic thread on top that collects ambient light to illuminate the reticle. In Squad, the chevron is black. 

I came on here to post a topic about the very same thing and the chevron. That chevron needs to be red. Heres a personal picture of mine back in the day in broad daylight. In fact if it was a really bright day, many Marines would cover the top with a bit of tape to block some of the light.

acog.png

It will be red, still working on optimizing the shader and the overall performance of it, then we will implement color in to the reticle when/if we ever get there with these 3d scopes

I am a Marine infantry combat vet...ACOG RCO is standard issue for all of us...we are aware of how the RCO is suppose to work. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for your feedback Iron, nice to see you make your way over here :) we'll get her there ;)

How could I not come check this awesomeness out trooper! I'm pumped for this game more than anything else out there at the moment. Great work so far!

Good to know. 

about that resolution though...

It is 256x256 right now, back when it was 512x512 it was straight up killing frame rates.

I'm still not sure we are shipping this game with 3d scopes, but we will keep chipping away at it, we have a theory that dx12 will help us... only it requires everyone to upgrade their OS trolololol. so yeah. stand by on that. Scopes are by no means finished that is for sure.

Good news are that if we were to fall back to the traditional way of doing them will be relatively easy.

It is 256x256 right now, back when it was 512x512 it was straight up killing frame rates.

I'm still not sure we are shipping this game with 3d scopes, but we will keep chipping away at it, we have a theory that dx12 will help us... only it requires everyone to upgrade their OS trolololol. so yeah. stand by on that. Scopes are by no means finished that is for sure.

Good news are that if we were to fall back to the traditional way of doing them will be relatively easy.

Can you elaborate on the performance drop? I don't work with Unreal Engine at all, but I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that basically the whole scene is re-rendered just for the scope area?

That's correct, 3d scopes use render to texture which renders the entire scene again at a different fov.

That's correct, 3d scopes use render to texture which renders the entire scene again at a different fov.

Alright. So is Unreal Engine really that inefficient at doing that? I guess it makes sense, but I would have expected some better performance. If games like Insurgency can handle it, I hope Squad can do it as well. Nvm, Insurgency doesn't have it. Damn.

Oh c'mon man! The scopes you have now are unbelievable! 

Alright. So is Unreal Engine really that inefficient at doing that? I guess it makes sense, but I would have expected some better performance. If games like Insurgency can handle it, I hope Squad can do it as well. Nvm, Insurgency doesn't have it. Damn.

There is a difference between the games that have it and can run it smoothly and us, our environments (that has to be rendered 2x) are much MUCH larger/more complex.

It's not that UE is inefficient... it's that all graphics hardware is inefficient at it.  You can count on your hand the number of games that do 3d scopes, and they don't have nearly close to the same draw distance we have.   Games like Red Orchistra have a major FPS drop whenever they render their 3d scopes, but they can get away with it because they aren't spending their entire FPS budget rendering 4km of terrain and trees.