That blurred one is giving me a headache just looking at it.

When using the weapon you're not supposed to be focusing on the housing of the weapon. It gets blurred out and you don't notice it while using it. In game with the weapon blurred like that you will find it easier to focus where you should be focusing. The weapon still blocks your view of the world, but you don't have to force your eyes to look in one tiny spot (which is way too tiny in game right now). 

5.jpg

I think i'd like to see some kind of middle ground between the first screenshot I posted and that kind of effect.

I would be happy with this. 

Though not totally representative that's more or less the vibe you get when aiming through ghost rings. You barely notice them.

TBH, I'm not a fan of games blurring things for you, I understand if that's what it looks like, but focusing on a screen and focusing on something IRL are completely different.

But unless you want to ruin your eyesight it's near impossible to bring a peep hole into focus when your eye is that close to it. It's going to be that blurry no matter what you're looking at.

I've been trying out the sniper (svd). Half of the time I can't see what I'm doing with it because the scale inside the scope is not visible enough. I suggest they make it darker so it can be easily focued on.

b7f0b8.jpg

Comparing it to some other images IRL and game ones.

Pso-1onsvd.jpg

Arma

svd_day.jpg

RO2

2zrm7nb.jpg

I think RO2 does some of the best scopes. Very clear but not too obstructive.

5.jpg

I like this solution for peep hole style sights. Too often games do very poorly on iron sight implementation for all rifles but the GLORIOUS KALASHNIKOV which has simple open style sights. (Which totally suck past 200 meters imo)

I've been trying out the sniper (svd). Half of the time I can't see what I'm doing with it because the scale inside the scope is not visible enough. I suggest they make it darker so it can be easily focued on.

Dev's have said a bajillion times that the current SVD scope is a placeholder.

Dev's have said a bajillion times that the current SVD scope is a placeholder.

Hope so. Here are some calculations I did on the PSO-1 scope -

A real PSO-1's ocular lens diameter is 32mm and eye relief is 68mm, which means the view through the lens takes up about 26.4 degrees of the shooter's FOV. The current PSO-1 in Squad is quite different: on an average monitor (the equivalent of someone's eyeball being 60cm away from a 27" screen), it occupies only 8.6 degrees of the player's FOV. In other words, to look the same to the player's eye as it does to an IRL shooter's eye, the SVD scope should be 3 times bigger on the screen than what it is now. 

It also says this in the PSO-1 manual:

5.2.1 While aiming you must put your eye on the optical axis of the scope so the image appears flat and without shadows on the edges. Using soft rubber eyepiece will help you to properly align your eye on the optical axis and ensure the proper eye relief.

Someone should tell the Arma 3 devs that the shadows around their scopes are not only annoying but also unrealistic.

Hope so. Here are some calculations I did on the PSO-1 scope -

A real PSO-1's ocular lens diameter is 32mm and eye relief is 68mm, which means the view through the lens takes up about 26.4 degrees of the shooter's FOV. The current PSO-1 in Squad is quite different: on an average monitor (the equivalent of someone's eyeball being 60cm away from a 27" screen), it occupies only 8.6 degrees of the player's FOV. In other words, to look the same to the player's eye as it does to an IRL shooter's eye, the SVD scope should be 3 times bigger on the screen than what it is now. 

It also says this in the PSO-1 manual:

Someone should tell the Arma 3 devs that the shadows around their scopes are not only annoying but also unrealistic.

Generally graphical representations in a game are completely different to real life, you could say 5 bajillion things about how scopes do not represent real life, however in order to actually make it work you need to compromise.

I'll give you an example, say an M1A1 Abrams in real life is pretty strong and doesn't get easily defeated in combat, compared to the amount deployed and lost in combat regarding statistical data it's a fraction and to me the M1A1 is tried and tested and more combat proven than a lot of the western worlds modern tanks.

If you were to interpret that into a game the M1A1 would probably take 100's of RPG's to actually bring down, however that's not feasible because it would mean a massive balancing issue.

It's the same with scopes, yes your screen represents your vision, however if you were able to see everything while looking down a scope screen wise you would be negating the fact that you have two eyes which is not represented on a single screen, for a start your screen will always represent two eyes and the FOV change is minor when scoping in.

The only way to represent the fact that you are now focusing with one eye is to block out a large portion of the screen, otherwise you have the advantage of looking down a scope with two eyes, which means you have zoomed view with no peripheral disadvantage.

An example of how this would be represented on an oculus rift, the right eye is scoped in and the left eye would be an open landscape view, but with a single screen you only have one eye.

Yes scopes in real life have a larger amount of vision, but again this is not real life, this is a game and in order to ensure that scopes aren't OP so that they give an advantage but not too much of an advantage then you have to find some way of balancing it out.

I am btw in no way saying that you are incorrect, however you need to look at it from the angle of game design not just realism, and realism is relative anyway, you might put your eye right up to the scope (you wierdo) however I might hold my eye far back near the cheek rest.

Everyone is different and you can't interpret that realism when you have 50,000 mouths to feed.

The M1A1 was probably a bad comparison IMHO, as most modern day missiles can penetrate even from the side, so in a pinch, there should always be a weapon capable of shooting down modern armour, regardless of faction.

But yeah, I see your point.

hope the sights on the ak guns have a little overhall :) find it hard to look down sights :(

ak%20circle_zpsqvx3geej.jpg

2015-11-04_00002_zps0cenipv0.jpg

Generally graphical representations in a game are completely different to real life, you could say 5 bajillion things about how scopes do not represent real life, however in order to actually make it work you need to compromise.

I'll give you an example, say an M1A1 Abrams in real life is pretty strong and doesn't get easily defeated in combat, compared to the amount deployed and lost in combat regarding statistical data it's a fraction and to me the M1A1 is tried and tested and more combat proven than a lot of the western worlds modern tanks.

If you were to interpret that into a game the M1A1 would probably take 100's of RPG's to actually bring down, however that's not feasible because it would mean a massive balancing issue.

It's the same with scopes, yes your screen represents your vision, however if you were able to see everything while looking down a scope screen wise you would be negating the fact that you have two eyes which is not represented on a single screen, for a start your screen will always represent two eyes and the FOV change is minor when scoping in.

The only way to represent the fact that you are now focusing with one eye is to block out a large portion of the screen, otherwise you have the advantage of looking down a scope with two eyes, which means you have zoomed view with no peripheral disadvantage.

An example of how this would be represented on an oculus rift, the right eye is scoped in and the left eye would be an open landscape view, but with a single screen you only have one eye.

Yes scopes in real life have a larger amount of vision, but again this is not real life, this is a game and in order to ensure that scopes aren't OP so that they give an advantage but not too much of an advantage then you have to find some way of balancing it out.

I am btw in no way saying that you are incorrect, however you need to look at it from the angle of game design not just realism, and realism is relative anyway, you might put your eye right up to the scope (you wierdo) however I might hold my eye far back near the cheek rest.

Everyone is different and you can't interpret that realism when you have 50,000 mouths to feed.

I'm not sure what you mean with the peripheral vision thing because a 3x bigger scope would occupy most of the screen, so there would be no advantage in peripheral vision. I also think using the proper size scope doesn't just improve realism, it makes the game more fun to play since you can actually see through the scope instead of trying to see through a keyhole. This larger scope is, by the way, how most other similar games do it (someone posted examples above). It's 100% win/win IMO - both more fun and more realistic. I think this combination captures is the spirit of Squad quite well.

The best scopes i have seen are in Medal Of Honor 2010 omg those scopes are so crisp and clean beautifully made scopes, that game was amazing RIP.

(I dont know that someone opened this topic before if this topic already exists sorry about that and for my English.)  As the title said realistic scopes could be amazing. Look at Insurgency or RO those games have awesome scopes very realistic and very f*cking cool. I want to see  those scopes in SQUAD.  Love you guys all keep it coming :)) <3 

As someone who's used a lot of the optics that PR offers I can say that while they're cool and a good step toward realism they're far from realistic. RO2 is much better at handling realistic scopes.

ARMA 3 didn't implement scopes correctly.

This, not only that, but the scopes in game are piss poor. If you've ever looked down any of the scopes in the game and compare it to their real life counterpart you'd think that the devs picked up Chinese airshit toys.

Red Orchestra 2 achieves this without a massive frame-rate drop. It would be seriously disappointing not to see this in squad, at least for the people with machines that can handle it. Perhaps there can be an option for people with lower-end rigs to use the BF2:PR zoom system. Surely this system would all be client-side?

Not exactly true. I had a 5770 up until a few months ago and I can tell you that the FPS drop with PIP scopes was unplayable. Only recently when I upgraded to an R9 380 was I able to start playing the sniper class.

A little thread revival here. I'd love to see the sight pictures get updated in of course due time to more accurately represent proper aiming ( i know currently true first person is causing some issues with it). As someone said before MoH 2010 did a great job depicting sight pictures on their weapons in-game. Examples below:

MOH2010-Mark18-3.jpgMoh_2010-10-14_14-58-37-62.jpgMoh_2010-10-14_14-23-54-29.jpgMoh_2010-10-14_14-49-30-22.jpgMoh_2010-10-14_17-36-11-05.jpgMOHP226I.jpg

3 hours ago, Fandango831 said:

A little thread revival here. I'd love to see the sight pictures get updated in of course due time to more accurately represent proper aiming ( i know currently true first person is causing some issues with it). As someone said before MoH 2010 did a great job depicting sight pictures on their weapons in-game. Examples below:

MOH2010-Mark18-3.jpgMoh_2010-10-14_14-58-37-62.jpgMoh_2010-10-14_14-23-54-29.jpgMoh_2010-10-14_14-49-30-22.jpgMoh_2010-10-14_17-36-11-05.jpgMOHP226I.jpg

Those sights are good, but the AK, PKM, and PSO sights are way too close. The DoF effect is nice and I'd like to see that, but they need to be much further away.

Not a fan of that ACOG, either. Not even going to lie: PR did a great job with their 2D ACOG render that accurately depicts what it's like staring down the ACOG with both eyes open. You see through the lens but everything around the lens is tiny, blurry, and might as well not exist. 

I'd agree not remotely perfect, but yes the point being improvement on sights. I figure it'll come with the update in the animation system as well as with how the camera functions with the first person perspective mechanic implemented currently. 

On 8/13/2015 at 2:05 PM, I_hate_usernames said:

that's what weapon sights look like in real life, and it also makes it a lot easier to see

On 8/13/2015 at 3:23 PM, I_hate_usernames said:

TBH, I'm not a fan of games blurring things for you, I understand if that's what it looks like, but focusing on a screen and focusing on something IRL are completely different.

there's no reason why anyone would ever be focusing on their rifle's rear sight

On 11/5/2015 at 7:49 AM, korkut said:

I think they do it that way because rendering both the zoomed-in scope view and the unzoomed view outside of and around the scope at the same time is very resource intensive

Edited by Mannex