oblivio69

Squad radar

I think it would really help if you would implement a squad radar in which you could see the squad members around you in a 50 meters radius , and add the ability for the squad leader to assign colors for every squad member, it would help with fireteam management . I was thinking something like ShackTac HUD http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9936

And please don't say it woudn't be realistic , since in RL you are aware of your surroundings.

I dont think the HUD element would be necessary, since Squad will bring over BF2's M map, but I'd like to see some sort of colour coding for fireteams on the map.

Well it would help with formations and overall awareness , not saying it's necessary but it would really be usefull and it woudn't hurt realism .

A permanent minimap in the hud isnt what most people would consider realistic. I think it's easy to maintain formation just by opening the map for a second every once in a while, having eyes on the rest of your squad and listening to their comms when they're about to move out.

Not a huge fan of this idea, though I wouldn't be too adverse to a 'radar' or separate zoomed in section to the right of the map when you hit 'M', giving you a clearer idea of a 200m radius around you or something. Just makes spotting close by enemies and avoiding green on green fire. As for a permanent HUD, I don't think that's really my cup of tea. I rather like the lack of HUD. 

Though I do love the STHud, I think a more fitting alternative would be small arrows on the compass indicating the direction of your squadmates, as well as distance maybe shown by changing opacity of said arrows.

no need for that, we've been playing PR without it for years now... we don't even have nametags

Have you noticed how often friendly fire occurs in PR? Opening the map and having it obscure your vision to check whether the person you're aiming at is friendly is also unintuitive. 

Nametags would've probably been left in if it wasn't for the bug with nametags caused by playercounts >64

Nametags would be realistic also if they were available only for friendlies under 50-75 meters , since in RL you would distinguish your friends at that distance and you would know their name .

a more fitting alternative would be small arrows on the compass indicating the direction of your squadmates

All of my votes.

I like the squad radar idea, similar to what is STHud is.  

I think a more fitting alternative would be small arrows on the compass indicating the direction of your squadmates, as well as distance maybe shown by changing opacity of said arrows.

Maybe it could work, but it would probably get too cluttered with squad marker and 7 squad members all shown there. Plus it's limited to direction you're facing.

I think it could work, if map will be more like in ARMA than in BF2. Otherwise compass marker pointing SL and FTL should be enough.

Though I do love the STHud, I think a more fitting alternative would be small arrows on the compass indicating the direction of your squadmates, as well as distance maybe shown by changing opacity of said arrows.

Have you noticed how often friendly fire occurs in PR? Opening the map and having it obscure your vision to check whether the person you're aiming at is friendly is also unintuitive. 

Nametags would've probably been left in if it wasn't for the bug with nametags caused by playercounts >64

Yes I have... friendly fire hardly ever occurs in PR...

I remember lots of ppl complaining about this change when they decided they would remove nametags... it was chaotic.. so much cried babys

well, it's much better now, right?

I won't talk much, I already gave extensive reasons in PR's forum why it should be removed from PR... and so was done

One of my biggest peeves in PR has always been the need to open the map to see where my squadmates are. As mentioned in relation to the STHUD Arma mod, these things are intuitive in real life.

Possibly a compromise to avoid A} over-cluttering the HUD with extra indicators/maps, and B} sacrificing realism/immersion by bringing up a mapful of moving dots, maybe just leverage the existing compass display? Nearby friendlies would get a subtle colored tic marker on their compass direction (green for squad or blue for smurf), fading out by a reasonable distance. Also, only show nametags out to about 50m or so if you're hovering a friendly, but a friendly marker could still be fine.

A permanent minimap in the hud isnt what most people would consider realistic. I think it's easy to maintain formation just by opening the map for a second every once in a while, having eyes on the rest of your squad and listening to their comms when they're about to move out.

A floating "all knowing map" isn't very realistic either tbh. I would prefer to see immediate area situational awareness indicators (arrows showing you friendlies within a 15m distance that aren't occluded behind a wall or something) over all knowing maps because the role of the SL becomes more important. SLs will have to keep track of the locations of friendly elements and communicate with area commanders to have a proper understanding of the AO.

A floating "all knowing map" isn't very realistic either tbh. I would prefer to see immediate area situational awareness indicators (arrows showing you friendlies within a 15m distance that aren't occluded behind a wall or something) over all knowing maps because the role of the SL becomes more important. SLs will have to keep track of the locations of friendly elements and communicate with area commanders to have a proper understanding of the AO.

I agree. As long as it's pushing towards more realism.

I agree. As long as it's pushing towards more realism.

One of the few compromises I'm willing to make on realism is anything that brings more situational awareness to the player. Alot is lost in the medium when it comes to situational awareness and it doesn't really offer players any opportunity to game the system by providing utilities that force them to understand who is where and when. The STHUD works very well and I think something similar, that is less obtrusive and takes occlusion into account would be interesting. I'm also a fan of the Arma map system to some degree. I like the ability for players to work in their own sandbox when it comes to the map. Players should be able to mark on their own map without anybody else seeing. A share map feature could also be added so that SLs could share a map with their squad that he pre-marked objectives and waypoints.

One of the few compromises I'm willing to make on realism is anything that brings more situational awareness to the player. Alot is lost in the medium when it comes to situational awareness and it doesn't really offer players any opportunity to game the system by providing utilities that force them to understand who is where and when. The STHUD works very well and I think something similar, that is less obtrusive and takes occlusion into account would be interesting. I'm also a fan of the Arma map system to some degree. I like the ability for players to work in their own sandbox when it comes to the map. Players should be able to mark on their own map without anybody else seeing. A share map feature could also be added so that SLs could share a map with their squad that he pre-marked objectives and waypoints.

Or better than a HUD element, just seeing their nametags when they're in your line of sight within an arbitrary distance.

I agree with the map marking idea and would like to see it as well.

Dunno if it got missed above, but what about simply using subtle colored tic marks on the player's compass to indicate the direction of nearby friendlies, faded by distance? It's simple, intuitive, don't add extra maps/elements to the hud...

Dunno if it got missed above, but what about simply using subtle colored tic marks on the player's compass to indicate the direction of nearby friendlies, faded by distance? It's simple, intuitive, don't add extra maps/elements to the hud...

I could live with that. Squad members marked and color coded by fireteam regardless of distance, non-squad team members marked if within 30-40m distance.

It's a bit strange how there's a lot of opposition to STHUD, but a lot of excitement and agreement over doing essentially the same thing in a much less useful format on the PR-style compass. I highly suggest some of you check out the video on STHUD, STGI and ST Name Tags. I'm certainly not going to say that Squad absolutely needs to replicate these, but I will say that I believe they are very well designed, and are worth looking to for inspiration.

STHUD especially packs a lot of good information into a concise format. Who's in your squad, who's near you, roughly how far away they are, what kit they have, where the compass directions are... STHUD is an extremely useful bit of HUD that offers a lot of situational awareness regarding your squad, making it easier to see and keep track of who is around you. This is a multitude more information than the PR-style compass can convey. Add an indicator of the bearing you're currently facing, and we'd have a seriously powerful little HUD element.

I think because while the STHUD is a great idea, it's still a little too game-y with the topdown view. The PR compass also is, but it's more suble. It covers 180 degrees in front of the player, so any friendlies as tic marks are definitely within the player's peripheral. Friendlies behind the player would be like the "off-compass" waypoint marker, so you know they're there, but not exactly, you have to "glance" to get them in your peripheral again. Again, I think the main resistance is putting a sort of mini-map on the player's default visible HUD, whereas the compass abstracts it more to a subconscious thing instead of an explicit helper.

the colored tic marks could just point to squad lead and fire team lead map would show everyone like normal. More of a compromise of the two

Eh, I'm still not a fan of having to open the full strategic map to get a tactical low-level view of what I should be able to intuitively know. That's always bugged me about PR, as well as the idea of marking friendlies on the map at all. Personally I'd rather the large map show just squad leaders if anything, or maybe the "average" position of the squad, like the center of all the members. The idea of using dots or tics on the compass to represent nearby friendlies simply gives the player the same kind of intuitive "back of the mind" information they would know in real life.

Also, medics could get a red tic for wounded/down friendlies, better than "Follow my voice la la la la blah blah okayokayokaythatsme!"