Sign in to follow this  
BKB98

New Persistent Role/Kit mechanic

I propose a new kit/role/class mechanic for Squad that i fell may work well, and be much better than the current BF2 Project Reality system.

The current kit system for PR is certain "spawnable" kits for players they can always use (ex. SL, Rifleman, AR, Medic ect.), while others are "limited" (ex. LAT, Grenadier, ect.), as well all other "requestable" kits are "limited" (HAT, AA, MG, Marksman, Sniper etc.) and once somebody dies with the "limited" kit, they lose that kit unless they go back and pick it up. 

The new system i propose is a "persistent role" system, were if you die, you do not lose that kit, but the kit does not drop onto the ground. Example, you chose a Machine Gunner kit BEFORE you spawn, you will keep that kit until you deselect that particular kit. You do not drop the kit, you do not lose the kit and no one else will be able to steal it from you. With this, i am also asking why is the grenadier and marksman limited? most modern military's employ grenadiers widely, especially the US

• Still same "first-come-first-serve" system of kits, and still limited in numbers per kit.
  • Adds new dynamic for squads as staying alive is much more valuable, as if the medics die, no one will be able to be revived, if the AR/MG goes down, you can not just pick it up and lay down fire, if the LAT/HAT goes down the squad will not have Anti-Armor abilities etc.
  • More realistic to real world applications as soldiers like snipers, marksmans, medics, etc. are specifically trained in their respective role.
  • No issue with stealing kits or enemies using enemy kits, as kits do not drop when the player dies.

What do you guys think? any suggestions, comments or concerns, i know it is not perfect, but it could work well if fleshed out.

This is basically the Red Orchestra/Red Orchestra 2 system. It worked well, the only issue is that people with say, a quality SSD, will always have first dibs on kits over other players who will not get the chance to use them.

That could be a valid issue, but things like round start timers, delayed squad creation and the like will easily fix the issue of faster PCs beating out others

I can understand that being able to pick up friendly medic kits and revive your whole squad is a bit gamey and immersion-breaking, but... if players can't retrieve any friendly kits like Anti-tank, Anti-air, I think it would be too demanding on players.

It would add a more demanding survival aspect to each player, like i stated it would be a new dynamic that staying alive as a whole is much more important than having the one last guy go "rambo" and take out a tank and then revive everybody, although i may be more leaning towards the players that are used to immersion and high levels off teamwork compared to ALOT of other players on PR and other games. Like i said though feedback is nice

I agree with you that implementing a squad-timer would prevent people with fast computers from hogging all the special kits.

I also agree that your idea would place more emphasis on the individual player not getting wounded and it would also place special emphasis on protecting the medics from harm.

But being unable to pick up any kit in the game whatsoever would make the game, in my opinion, too difficult. I think kit-swapping is one of those unrealistic things that happened to make PR more fun instead of less fun. It's a lot of fun to take the AT-4 off your fallen comrade's body and then use it to destroy the APC that was attacking you. If that wasn't doable in the game I think a lot of players would be unhappy about it.

One of my fellow friends and admins feels nearly the same way as you. feeling that having that ability to pick up kits is sorta a charm to PR, i can kinda agree with your (and my friends) opinion, but of course to each their own, you may like the old PR system, while i prefer this new system.

I dont think it should be a standard, but could be implemented as a server setting. So if an community want to use this, then they can. 

I like your idea, but I personally feel picking up kits does add to the overall fun-factor of the game.

Also, I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but "always having the same role in the squad" is something that I would like to happen less often in SQUAD.

In typical PR public servers there is a race to see who can claim the Auto-Rifleman class first, and then the rest of the squad members drag their feet when the SL asks them to play as medic the whole round. If it was more varied it would be more fun IMO because it would give everyone in the squad an opportunity to try the different roles and you don't have to be a medic every time you spawn that round.

This is basically the Red Orchestra/Red Orchestra 2 system. It worked well, the only issue is that people with say, a quality SSD, will always have first dibs on kits over other players who will not get the chance to use them.

The SSD issue can be solved, as suggested.

You can pick up dead soldiers kits in RO2 as well, which I have mixed feelings about since you can then have two primary weapons, which I don't like and it leads to imbalance on maps in some cases. All of a sudden there is a large number of enemy MG's for instance.

I think if you pick up a comrades kit, you should have a limited number of rounds or limited kit, not a full load out and you should drop your current kit. This would make it feel like you are scrambling to fill the void until they get back instead of an insta role switch.