Pootin

of 8-man squads vs 13-man squads, squad leadership and fireteams

I suggest that there be a server-side option to set squads to either 8 or 13 men maximum. I understand that the primary server size goal is 40vs40 which could either have:

• a commander and 5 almost full 8-man squads for each team, each consisting of a squad leader and 7 subordinates, the same system we had in PR:BF2.
  • a commander and 3 full 13-man squads for each team, each consiting of a squad leader and 3 subordinate fireteam leaders, each with 3 subordinates, or 2 subordinate fireteam leaders each with 5 subordinates.

Personally I'd like to see a subsquad fireteam system implemented in the game, which should make the squad leaders' jobs easier, cutting the chatter from all but the FTLs, other SLs and the commander. This would make the SLs role a bit more strategic, and a bit less chaotic than it is in PR:BF2.

I'd also like to see a system for the commander to assign or resign squad leaders, and for the squad leaders to mutiny a commander. And a system for the squad leader to assign a fireteam leader to be the vice-squad leader in case the squad leader himself leaves or disconnects. I've had the displeasure of seeing lots of squads fall into disarray after the squad leader had quit or disconnected.

Fireteam organization would be better aided through implementing a proper radio system, instead of the game dictating the organization of squads through mechanically implemented sub-divisions of the squads. I think I'll write up a good radio system.

As for squad size restrictions, I think it would be easier to just let servers assign whatever number they would like. You're right on the money when it comes to CO and SL ability to assign/resign/mutiny. And letting the SL assign a successor is a really good idea.

They could use the system I've described here to implement it. It can do a lot of what you're talking about, and functionality could easily be added to integrate the rest.

Fireteam organization would be better aided through implementing a proper radio system, instead of the game dictating the organization of squads through mechanically implemented sub-divisions of the squads. I think I'll write up a good radio system.

As for squad size restrictions, I think it would be easier to just let servers assign whatever number they would like. You're right on the money when it comes to CO and SL ability to assign/resign/mutiny. And letting the SL assign a successor is a really good idea.

They could use the system I've described here to implement it. It can do a lot of what you're talking about, and functionality could easily be added to integrate the rest.

Wow.. well you've put a lot more though into it, that's for sure. Good job, man!

Just a note, 4-man fireteams in squads of 12/13/14 is generally impractical in video games. Not every SL is going to be Dick Winters, and for some the very concept of fireteams can be daunting - 2 fireteams of 6 keeps it a lot simpler and any division by distance between the fireteams gives each of them 2 extra players. Not to mention, communication becomes a clusterfuck when you've got 3 sets of 4 people calling out different things - it's already prone to happening with 2 of 6, but to much less an extent.

Just a note, 4-man fireteams in squads of 12/13/14 is generally impractical in video games. Not every SL is going to be Dick Winters, and for some the very concept of fireteams can be daunting - 2 fireteams of 6 keeps it a lot simpler and any division by distance between the fireteams gives each of them 2 extra players. Not to mention, communication becomes a clusterfuck when you've got 3 sets of 4 people calling out different things - it's already prone to happening with 2 of 6, but to much less an extent.

my idea is that there would be a fireteam radio channel that would be used instead of the squad channel. this would great uncluster communications, when the squad leader is only hearing refined info from 2 or 3 fireteam leaders.

my idea is that there would be a fireteam radio channel that would be used instead of the squad channel. this would great uncluster communications, when the squad leader is only hearing refined info from 2 or 3 fireteam leaders.

This just delays the passing of information between the Squad leader and fireteam members. I've participated in ArmA games that use a similar communications/fireteam layout and it doesn't work very well in practice. 

I suggest taking the discussion over here since it's dealing with a very similar topic: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/155-universal-radio-communication-system/