Chuc

February 2016 Recap

am i just blind or do i see no huge difference in the animations? they look very much the same and the old ones are not as bad as they say they are

Winterfell, it's not to do with the animations themselves but the animation system. The old system is very performance heavy, therefore a new one has been constructed and the animations have to be completely redone as a result.

Oooo, that bendy, sexy foliage..   :)

I'm afraid a squad running through the poppy fields will finally get my box smoking and exploding in flames tho.....  :lol:

Ok, is it just me, but this drives me nuts. You have a large storage site, where they presumably stored large, heavy, bulky things (like coal!), and then there's a freight train just over the hill that dead ends, and there's no siding connecting them? No wonder that place is out of business.....

wow! lots of new terrain. lots of new buildings(?). so much more to play with when the SDK stuffs is released :)

oooh! and bendy foilage!! omgz orsimz!

Has the Ambient Occlusion Pixelation issue been looked into any further? It's really immersion killing. I recall some Unreal Dev saying it's being worked on but that was a long time ago.

Just awesome. Every part of the update is impressive.

By the way, for those of you who don't know, KaB made awesome animations for the updated WWII mini-mod for Project Reality (that's how he got started animating, I think). He makes convincing animations that have just the right amount of speed, aggressive feel, and weight to them. The older Squad weapon animations felt a little too leisurely for me but the new ones are looking good!

Those tunnels and doors, btw...some crazy shit is goning to happen when those are added. Just imagine fighting through those with shotguns and the ppsh smg.

Still people who thinks all this will be released in this patch. This is a list of what is currently being worked on in february, not a list of what the patch will contain.

Fantastic recap, so much exciting stuff being worked on! The new maps look really great too!

Another quality of life improvement that has been long awaited and that we want to mention is name tag drawing reliability. We are now tracing from your camera location to the head, chest and feet of the other soldier, instead of the default Unreal Engine 4 method of tracing from waist to waist. This tracing method makes sure that you always get a name-tag when you can see your team members head, chest or feet, which solves a lot of issues for new and old players alike.

Thank the lord! This should hopefully cut down the number of accidental TKs I see.

Still people who thinks all this will be released in this patch. This is a list of what is currently being worked on in february, not a list of what the patch will contain.

+1. Keep those expectations in check folks.

Looking really great guys! In my opinion the foliage is a bit too "snappy" if I can use that word to describe it. The marijuana plants snapping back to a straight standing state seems to happen just a little bit too quickly to me, maybe slow it down just a hair and I think it will look much more natural. As with everything however, I understand it's all placeholder, simply giving my input :). Looking forward to getting my hands on this next patch.

But that's a two way street and there is stuff not listed here that will be released. That would include things finished in early February or stuff that cannot be given visual representation such as performance optimization and bug fixes. There is also some content that may have been finalized but was showcased earlier that will be released now, though I have no grounds for assuming that, just saying it has happened before. A good example would be the m203 grenade launcher...

Has the Ambient Occlusion Pixelation issue been looked into any further? It's really immersion killing. I recall some Unreal Dev saying it's being worked on but that was a long time ago.

I found you can fiddle with the gamma and radius scale to get rid of it.

I have radius scale @ 1.7

2 samples

Gamma at 1.9 

Its gone for me :)

I'm not complaining, but I was under the impression that a friendly tag wouldn't always pop up because it added a layer of realism and target discipline.

IIRC it's like that in PR, isn't it?

This looks great! So glad I backed this. Keep up the great work!

P4zYCdk.gif

So much exciting stuff, impressive!

I love the foliage-bending especially, that's what I was preaching was needed in the first place, so kinda served my taste. :P

​But the rest is just as awesome, especially looking at the new map, the animations, the freaking tunnel and door systems! you guys should rename yourselves from OWI to NICE, to show DICE ;)

Not too many people commenting on the player tags previously being handled 'waist to waist'. This being sorted is a big deal and a very good thing for us.

I hope you all realize most of what is written is being worked on and does not reflect whatever update you might receive some time soon.

Guys where is the "Operation First Light" take place?

Because if it Russia or post-soviet space then we have different water towers...

Our water towers looks like german world war 2 grenades:

360px-Water_tower.JPG

I may be wrong, but i think you cant find towers like this in Russia:

wt-bucket.jpg

It is something peculiar to the Western world, but I can say for sure thay are definitely not usual.

Also a railway semaphore is too civilized for our environment.

We've got something like this:

62862910.jpg

Or like this:

4444.jpg

I am just saying. If you think it's not important or the map is taking place somewhere else - ignore.

it takes place in a fantasy land that doesnt actually exist. 

Not too many people commenting on the player tags previously being handled 'waist to waist'. This being sorted is a big deal and a very good thing for us.

I'm kinda split on that, I could live with no tags at all, I'm used to distinguish enemies from friendlies by learning that in many years of PR.

I believe many PR vets will agree that nametags do not neccessarily help the cause, but makes people rely on those and gives them an excuse for teamkills. While they otherwise would learn to distinguish better, if they didn't have these tags on further range.

it takes place in a fantasy land that doesnt actually exist.

Does it feature unicorns? If not, it's a shitty fantasyland.

I'm kinda split on that, I could live with no tags at all, I'm used to distinguish enemies from friendlies by learning that in many years of PR.

I believe many PR vets will agree that nametags do not neccessarily help the cause, but makes people rely on those and gives them an excuse for teamkills. While they otherwise would learn to distinguish better, if they didn't have these tags on further range.

I am fine now with say Russia vs Militia myself too, but the more times my name pops up to randoms the better for me.

The one that worries me (and it's great) is the moving foliage, I'm always in trees and bushes :) Now i'll be a big green shaking RPG target haha.

I hope you all realize most of what is written is being worked on and does not reflect whatever update you might receive some time soon.

I was  bit floored that the default was set up as waist to waist when the coders looked into it!

As with a lot of stuff.. despite now being a good sized 24-26 man team. (fulltime, parttime and support) its often a matter of scheduling just to get to particular tasks 

One request, could you make your updates have a target="_blank" on the images by any chance? It feels so 1999 to click on an image and not have it pop up in an in-page expando-viewer or in a new tab. 

Maybe it's just me  :wacko:

One request, could you make your updates have a target="_blank" on the images by any chance? It feels so 1999 to click on an image and not have it pop up in an in-page expando-viewer or in a new tab. 

Maybe it's just me  :wacko:

Yeah would be a lot better.

IIRC it's like that in PR, isn't it?

It used to, nametags still pop up but they do so so slowly that it is easier to identify by checking the camouflage. 

Everything looks just AWESOME! LITERALY!!! Fantastic work devs on this recap. Makes me really look forward to Alpha 5 update and what will be in it. The vegetation has me wondering what will be movable and which one will not be like trees for example.   :D