Sign in to follow this  
Polanski

Aiming Deadzones and Iron Sight Misalignment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLLKlqDY7N0

Since we're all a part of the tactical mil. sim. genre, lots of factors set the pace of action. And in hypotheticals, increasing the difficulty

of weapons handling might set the perfect pace for Squad! Iron sight/Scope misalignment would overhaul animations but could

push the need for stance-based combat. And it's featured in Ground Branch and Rising Storm 2, it's extremely realistic and would be game-changing. 

Hmm I think I read somewhere animations would be overhauled... definitely an interesting idea for full auto fire. I'll let the devs answer to this but personally I think this is a very cool idea, but it would take a lot of work. 

EDIT: Dubs got there before me! :)

the rising storm 2 example looks really good though it works with iron sights only as you have two points you need to align.

red dots and scopes are not affected by this but well, other things.

the infiltration example seems quite wrong, it shows more something like point shooting but no proper use of iron sights.

however, i always wondered why it seems so hard for game developers to recreate recoil and related stuff.

especially in the US you can "easily" go to a range and fire most rifles that are used in games. most portraits

of guns in game are so wrong i often asked myself if the dev's have ever seen a rifle before, not to mention shooting one...

FROM THE OTHER THREAD:

That's cos it ain't the prettiest game out there, it's an old dog. Try Rising Storm, Red Orchestra, and move your rifle around in hipfire in Insurgency. It's fluid.

it is absolutely NOT fluid especially in RO/RS!

honestly i did not understand what this videos is actually supposed to show, wepon handling is wrong the way it's done and shown in the video.

every game that shows the weapon from the side (tilt) is simply doing it wrong.

i made a quick pic, this is how a shouldered weapon (no aiming down sights yet) should look like.

when moving/walking, the weapon should move from lef to right and up and down VERY VERY SLIGHTLY, and the background, as the eyes should be focused on it should be practically STILL.

you basically look over the rifle at the background. when you spot an enemy you move your head DOWN to the iron sights which produces something like it is shown in the second pic.

however i did a very quick iphone snapshot so don't take it as 100% accurate, it's somewhat correct, compared to 90% of all PFS games out there.

well, if you imagine a mix of the two pics where you have a scene of the first pic but with a focus on the front post, like in the second pic, this is what it should look like when aiming down sights.

GROUND BRANCH is the only game so far that does it somewhat correctly, still even there when you are not aiming down sights the weapon is shown from the side,

remember when aiming down sights your head moves DOWN. if you look at the player models in GROUND BRANCH this is exactly what you see, but when switching

to 1st person view the weapon is showed from the side, and when yxou aim down sights the weapon is magically moved to the center, this is WRONG.

the real life thing that comes close to "aiming deadzone" would be point shooting, which is nothing more than hip firing but with the correct "camera angle"

basically what i have described above.

as for aiming down sights most games do it exactly like in the second pic and this is simply wrong, you should be still able to see the charging handle and a bit of the stock,

in GROUND BRANCH this is shown/implemented quite well!

the example in the video looks like the operator is stretching out it's arms completely holding the rifle,

and like his head is not centered but sitting directly on the left shoulder, get it? :)

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1851.JPG

Another thread on the same topic. Please use the search engine, you are officially the 5th thread on aiming deadzones. Mods please lock.

OP never covered over the topic of Aiming Deadzones, he talks about iron sights misalignment.. All yall are acting like a bunch of wanna be stuck up moderators >.>

EDIT POST IN CONCERN TO:

Another thread on the same topic. Please use the search engine, you are officially the 5th thread on aiming deadzones. Mods please lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLLKlqDY7N0

Since we're all a part of the tactical mil. sim. genre, lots of factors set the pace of action. And in hypotheticals, increasing the difficulty

of weapons handling might set the perfect pace for Squad! Iron sight/Scope misalignment would overhaul animations but could

push the need for stance-based combat. And it's featured in Ground Branch and Rising Storm 2, it's extremely realistic and would be game-changing. 

I really like how they artificially increased the size of the rear peep sight to more accurately simulate the amount of vision you'd get through one in real life

OP never covered over the topic of Aiming Deadzones, he talks about iron sights misalignment.. All yall are acting like a bunch of wanna be stuck up moderators >.>

EDIT POST IN CONCERN TO:

Title has deadzones in it. Sight misalignment and deadzones fall into the same subject. PR/Squad community are just helping keep the forum clean of duplicated post so it all stays in one thread. If it comes off as stuck up wannabe adminship to you, then I am sorry for your over sensitivity.