It would be interesting to see a physical item when you pull your map/GPS up rather than another screen, similar to heroes and generals. 

Action_map.png

Seeing it in your hand or appearing randomly on the screen is pretty much the same thing, as long as we see it is all that matters. Gps will be in there but similar to Project Reality. We can't take that out of a game to have a real map without seeing the players moving around, it just wouldn't be fun, even though that's how it is in real life.

I agree with having a map that displays where people are, but methinks only within a certain proximity to your players position.

I think it'd be cool to have an actual model for the GPS, but the regular Arma style GPS would be fine too. As long as there's no sacrifice to performance - hell, maybe even make it optional!

Arma gps only shows where you are not the rest of your team so it's more like real life. We could always pull off a call of duty, where you see the rest of your team and the enemy only shows up on the map when they shoot.

Arma gps only shows where you are not the rest of your team so it's more like real life. We could always pull off a call of duty, where you see the rest of your team and the enemy only shows up on the map when they shoot.

Depends on what difficulty settings you have ARMA on and whether you're using mods such as ALiVE, ACE, AGM or anything of that sort.

BLUFOR / Blue Force tracking in Squad might be a cool idea, especially inside vehicles like the HMMWV's for the TC's to use. Would keep it relevant, closer to realism and also restrictive to the point where not everyone is fancy with a GPS to guide their way. Land nav is half the fun on large maps! :D

But again, that means balancing it for OPFOR / any other faction that doesn't actually use that kind of system. Just a thought though, throwing it out there.

SQUAD will have a true first person system. So if this idea was implemented, you would see players putting down their weapon and taking out the map to look at it.

Could be a good thing for gameplay, as players would have to be more careful about when they can stop and check their map.

Or it could be bad for immersion, seeing players constantly running around with a magic map in their hands (pretty sure the average grunt on a battlefield doesn't get any maps of any sort).

Personally I hate 3D 'world' based UI elements. They're not realistic. If I'm opening a map pouch and looking down / taking out a laminated area map, then I'm looking at a flat two dimensional object, easy, fast. I don't need to manipulate anything, its right there.

The same should be true for in game, the quick map button and fullscreen system works fine.

My opinion on the map:

1. Physical thing would be the coolest, like OPs pic. But obviously ok if it's not top priority.

2. I don't like that it's real-time movement. I would rather see like 5sec "update" or something like that.

3. Do grunts carry satellite maps in the field?

I would say that we should stay on traditional 2D objects on these. Models like some 3D GPS pulled from pocket would be need to make invidually to each faction and might not fit in every factions "storyline" then it makes more harm than good. Old style 2D maps and others similar stuff are much more neutral and fits to every faction. Plus they are much more agile to use.

A physical map with an appropiate delay if you take a look on it would fit best. Futhermore as alex.sweedensniiperr said, the movement shouldn't be in realtime; beside the fact there should be a server-sided option to disable movement tracking in general.