MrTuspika

Stat tracking

Bad ideea or not   339 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think persistent stat tracking should be implemented?

• Yes.
    • No.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
225 posts in this topic

Stat tracking, no. Rank system, yes.

High points awarded for playing the objectives, reviving, placing rally points, attacking/defending FOBs.
Low points for kills, but a headshot has a better score.

Unlocks such as cammo for character & weapons, nothing game breaking and keeping it fair.

Stat tracking, no. Rank system, yes.

High points awarded for playing the objectives, reviving, placing rally points, attacking/defending FOBs.

Unlocks such as cammo for character & weapons, nothing game breaking and keeping it fair.

I'm very happy that it's going to be the opposite.

There will be stats externally on a website. (Personally, I don't much care about them, but oh well. Don't mind them being there either.)

There will not be a ranking system period. Especially no unlocks. The devs are against it on principle.

There may be a reputation system to commend good squad leaders or medics, but the devs are still undecided about that. I hope this will be added; it's nice to know how good or experienced squad leaders are.

Stat tracking gives the sneaky cheaters a reason to continue cheating and bragging with their "stats".

i wanna to see my stats only to me, a private stats is so cool in menu setting, like hours played, kD and others things only to me in menu. where can i see my progress in the game

Stats only private in menu

rank = yes

There should be an "Experience" and "Leadership" stat. Experience is given for game time at a low rate, bonuses for stuff like:

staying near teammates

using voice comms

suppressing enemies

taking objectives

bandaging/reviving teammates

Experience will also track the time spent in each role, to show where they have strengths.

Leadership is given at a low rate for simply being squad leader, with bonuses given for:

deploying FOB

each player spawned at their FOB

Team and Squad objectives

Winning rounds

That way, we have two metrics that aren't simple K/D ratios that can give us a better idea of how "good" a player is. These stats would also open the door for some other teamplay focused features that might warrant consideration.

For example, a mechanism where players "apply" for SL at the beginning of a round, and the one with the highest leadership score is given the option to take the slot or give it to another player so he can get some more Leadership time.

Allow SL to assign roles based on Experience, something like if two players both want a slot they "apply" and the SL decides between one and the other.

Have "helper" tips that come up when a player is new to a thing, either to being a SAW gunner or SL. Some handholding is good if it's done tastefully and in a way that builds better players.

As for kills and captures and generic stuff, hopefully the server will have a logging feature to pipe all the events elsewhere, and we can use a third-party stat tracker to parse and display that information by server. Having been involved in building a stats aggregation for game-wide global stats, I can say that it is incredibly frustrating, fraught with peril, constantly trying to be hacked and fed bad data, and not as useful as we had hoped it would be for the game experience. In all honesty, I look at things like global stat tracking as a negative, because it reinforces the wrong type of gameplay in most cases. Unless something like my idea got used, which might be better.

Devs, do not put stats in the game, you WILL regret it. It devours teamwork and promotes selfishness.

When you get a small fraction of the points for a kill vs capping the flag, I still fail to see how having a site with the stats (even if it's not listed on the end game screen) is a bad thing. Personally, the more stats the better. There's always going to be those lone wolf types that just want to go do their thing. Adding/removing stats will not change that.

Joint Operations had stat tracking. Like the stat tracking the Devs have said they want to implement, it was external and visible on a website only.

It was fun to look at... once or twice a year maybe. It didn't break anything. You might overestimate the impact this will have.

Tracking stats such as kills and deaths makes it more about yourself.  However I feel that the points at the end of the round should count for something.  Just a simple leveling system wouldn't hurt players who already play, and would keep those in the game who would eventually quit from getting burned out with nothing to work for.  I believe a level system would help the longevity of this game, but actual stat tracking is more for bragging rights and would discourage teamwork.

We don't want this game to appeal to a larger audience. A larger audience is what fucked all the potentially good games out there .

I am sure the devs would disagree with you.

We don't want this game to appeal to a larger audience. A larger audience is what fucked all the potentially good games out there .

Our large audience is in other Games the smallest audience because here are many PR player and they know what can happend in the worst case.

so.. strat-tracking?

Tracking stats such as kills and deaths makes it more about yourself.  However I feel that the points at the end of the round should count for something.  Just a simple leveling system wouldn't hurt players who already play, and would keep those in the game who would eventually quit from getting burned out with nothing to work for.  I believe a level system would help the longevity of this game, but actual stat tracking is more for bragging rights and would discourage teamwork.

Public stat tracking should not be bothered. As for clan stat tracking that is a whole different story. Its a play by play book for them with the video of the match. They may require changes in the lineup or change the route they take to the objective.

As for stats, if we allow the UI to turn on stat tracking, it could go to a local 127.0.0.0 browser and show the last match played stats, so they can save or print it off for match reasons.

The only thing that would be displayed is the whole server stats for that match. Next match would be a completely fresh page. So its like we are sitting there reviewing the stats screen popup at the end, however admins, and clans could have a complete list of stats.

To have a completely open website showing your kills, deaths etc.. well that's up to the devs to decide if its worth while showing your K/D ratio, wins and losses. I don't think we need to add more work into this game then is already needed.

However.....

Having the option in the UI to turn it on if so choose would output the last matched played 01_01_2016_1257_303server.txt  bytes 10kb example.

Saved in UE4 folders, under squad/stats

The individual or squad CO could retrieve those stats, and decide what they want to do with it. Otherwise having an official stats page NO.

Really why should it matter to us anyway? from the start all i have heard is OH i got xx kills, and xx low deaths i did well. I Owned you blah blah... People will find any way to think they are better. This game is no where near a COD type game. even AAPG has too many popups, stats.

Its a Kill/Death game, popular by many. Cheating by few... burned out by everyone. The grind is what we don't want squad to become like. It will ruin everything with it. It has to continue to be open play style sandbox game. Stats should be optional. UI is only a suggestion if so desired. It doesn't mean anything honestly. You wont find anyone going around bragging even if they turn on the stats. Why? because so many games out there record stats, and it doesn't matter. If numbers increase then so be it, but it has nothing to do with stats. Stats are only mentioned in the end of the game. Nobody cares really. I have yet to see anyone recording their own stats in any game. They let the game providers host the live stats. In the end of the day, nobody cares.

I think that adding statistics about the recent round at the end of it could be cool. Such as longest kill, most kills without dying, most revives, etc. This is a fun idea and it won't get people to camp or anything bad because its not like they get to keep it or smth.

Stat tracking gives the sneaky cheaters a reason to continue cheating and bragging with their "stats".

But i doubt squad will ever become the COD/battlefield game. Stats are what COD became all about. It drove sales up, achievements, stats monitoring etc.. everyone played for those reasons. After COD 4 i gave up. Didn't like the direction or what they added into the game. It was the only real shooter closer to the older game plays. It wasn't by any means perfect. Usually on public servers cheats where used to bring in heli's etc... after they killed so many players. It was a joke to be honest.

That level of game play can stay where it is.

Having squad go there? i doubt it ever will make it to that level. If they applied the same stat monitoring system AAPG did would drive the old PR players away, and bring in the COD players. I can almost bet that to be the end result.

Not everyone cheats though, some play the game to become competitive. So your assumption of stats being for cheaters, makes no sense in a game like squad. COD is a different story.

We used stats in Mechwarrior 2, mechwarrior 3, dos netmech, rainbow 6, cod beginning titles. It was mainly for league play. We had rule sets. Stats where used for wins and losses only. Records kills for friendly results. It never was intended to be used for anything other then match play.

Other games used stats to attract more players. It worked. Cod, battlefield etc.. The public stat boards where incorrect and we could clearly see who had x2 the kills and points. That alone showed us the cheat engines did not work in those games. We would eventually give up on league play, due to the game titles changing the play style we enjoyed.

However, after remembering the old school game play, personal input stat recording only applied correctly for league, clan play. It meant nothing other then who was to be playing in the next match. Swapping out players was a good thing for league play. We only had a few people that joined from the public to cause problems for the leagues. They usually ended up getting banned. This was games like Rainbow 6, skin changes, and exploits to win. Other games like COD brought a whole new tribe of cheats to the market. People paid big dollars for them.

Cheaters don't rely on stats, because we have no stats now other then the end match totals. If cheats mattered why would they want to see negative -5 on the kills, deaths. That alone makes no sense, those stats alone shows us cheaters will play any way they can to cheat. Stats mean nothing. Cheaters just want to grief plain and simple.

cheaters will cheat no matter what you do or say, or give them in software titles.

I think that adding statistics about the recent round at the end of it could be cool. Such as longest kill, most kills without dying, most revives, etc. This is a fun idea and it won't get people to camp or anything bad because its not like they get to keep it or smth.

I am ok and on board with that, as long as we have no AAPG popups clearly making it too much like an arcade game. It appeals to the COD type game play. I want squad to remain like arma 3, and older titles now retired.

Self accomplishment is not a bad thing at all. If i had 15 revives i think i did pretty good. I would be happy with people cheering me on for doing a good job. Same with cap points.

For those that have not tried WW2 online was more hardcore. However they do have stats and it makes no impact at all on game play. It is for personal achievement only. No bragging was really involved. Some did try to send the message, but it never went any further.

The levels of elitism on this forums amaze me once again.

1. So much fear for stat padding and stat whoring that will occur, we should be against it because we are the proud PR\ARMA etc. community that is just better, right ? And yet every time I play 95% of the people on the servers dosplay exactly the same "default" kind of attitude any average FPS player display. Get off the high horse, there will always be people who care about personal result more than anything else, that is why you have constant groups to play with (squad, clan, server where you know admins are going for the kind of atmosphere you enjoy).

2. Contrary to popular belief stat are good, they are providing additional tool for skill ceiling increase which is needed in this game in my opinion. At the moment the different between a veteran truly good FPS player and average guy that played 150 hours in couple of CoDs, 200 hours in BF3\4 and 50 hours in AAPG is not that much, yes I will be more effective than any one average guy but the game doesn`t really allow for a skill difference that is necessary as this is a game that ultimately we play for fun, for some that fun is being a great medic and for some it is leading a squad and for some it is about being awesome with rifle, be it long range shots or building clearing, twitch shooting skills or accuracy and ranging skills. What I want is stats that show accuracy with each piece of equipment I use (including vehicles), the hit zones with range (never seen a system that added range to hit zones, still dream of the day when someone does this), so that all the experience I personally accumulated of the years spent in all manner of FPS can be put to use in analyzing my game experience allowing to squeeze more efficiency out of my game play.

In general in seems that the trend in this forums is always by default to look down on CoD and BF series and the idea of killing enemies, but dont forget that while those and many other series are simplified to the point of "nothing but killing enemies", this is still a CORE mechanic in any FPS, be it ARMA, PR, AA or CoD. You still have to kill enemies to win and capture objectives, and overall the team with better killers tend to win.

So how about stopping with the panic and look at the reality, this is FPS at the of the day and allowing people that are good at killing enemies to improve on that should be encouraged. 

The only comment I have regarding your post: killing enemies is not "looked down on" it's the inevitable obsession and over-focus that stat tracking facilitates. That's what I think most are objecting to...

The only comment I have regarding your post: killing enemies is not "looked down on" it's the inevitable obsession and over-focus that stat tracking facilitates. That's what I think most are objecting to...

Was there any kind of study about proves the "inevitable obsession and over-focus that stat tracking facilitates" ? Or may be people who designed games like BF and CoD actually know what they are doing and would add stats because they know what their players base is looking for ? Correlation does not imply causation, in a games designed to promote competitive spirit in players by stats (CoD for ex.) do just that, but on the other hand stats in games like Americas Army (original), Red Orchestra, BF2 and even expanded shooters like tank game (ex. Warthunder) stats are nothing more than that, stats to see how you are doing and in case of extended stats you can use it to improve your game experience, also while there will always be bad people (stats or no stats), but for example if I`m reading 1 year down the road a whine topic on a forum that claims that Insurgent Toyota truck with Dhka is was too OP compared to HUMMVEE with .50 cal because reasons (just example people) and I can check that the guy has a total of 50 hours of game play I will automatically skip that kind of discussion or comment because I judge that amount of experience to be not enough for any kind of serious balance discussion, it just helps filter information (or more complex situation, the person has 500 hours of gameplay time but only plays infantry). The stats is just a tool, there is no magical "add stats - turn game into CoD" thing, the game design is responsible for shaping of player priorities and community managers are responsible for keeping the "stat bashing" and everything related in check. What you are proposing now is take away a useful and generally harmless tool because in those other totally unrelated except for general genre games have community problems that are vaguely connected to stats. 

Soooo... You're pro stat tracking? : )

The choice is between have and not having additional absolutely harmless information that can provide just a general idea of how you are doing out there in some specific aspects or even help you improve if the stats are done right.

Oh course I`m all up for stat tracking.

I had written some of this on a different post that was locked before I finished, posting here.

Having it's roots in Battlefield, for the newbie Squad does feel like it's missing something at times but we know persistent stats are coming.  The OWI vision is coming ever closer to revealing itself.  Personally, I think later on in development the game would benefit from allowing everyone to opt-in to a platoon size pool of random players that competes against one another, or even other platoons and clans based on stats, proficiencies, reputation, gaming skills, and maybe play in tournaments.  The average player doesn't want the commitment of a clan, but something optional, random, determined by your play, and based on a clan structure could be used to good effect for training, competition, and helping to create an organic experience.

No stat tracking is what keeps game play honest. Its one of the best things about this game. Please don't add. The simple display at the end of game is enough for personal use.

I'm against stat tracking of personal stats like K:D, accuracy, etc. I would be okay with stats like games won vs. games lost or commendations. Things that are more about the team winning or cooperation with other players. At the end of the day, that is the thing that sets Squad apart from every other military FPS on the market: it is a game that encourages teamwork through its game design. Adding stats, badges, or any other direct or indirect rewards to selfish or personal action will only serve to encourage people that don't understand the spirit of the game. If they want to pad stats there are dozens of other available options on the market.

On 18/02/2016 at 8:39 PM, Karm said:

Joint Operations had stat tracking. Like the stat tracking the Devs have said they want to implement, it was external and visible on a website only.

It was fun to look at... once or twice a year maybe. It didn't break anything. You might overestimate the impact this will have.

+1