KaB

ADS strafe & backward speed tweak

Im really fond of slow paced tactical shooters, and I must say that to me people run way too easily in Squad right now.

I think at least ADS movements speed could get tweaked to give a better game experience. So I simply propose to slow backward and strafe speed (still when ADS) significantly down, like matching 25% of the forward speed (when ADS too).

It simply needs to give the impression the dude is really focused on his target and just cant look where he's going on the sides and backward, so he'll run slower to avoid getting his feet stuck in something and stumble, or simply take a tree in the face.

PS : I would also slow down backward speed (when not aiming), but not as much as 25%, so maybe matching 50% of the forward speed (still when not aiming) ?

ADS strafing speed needs to be reasonably high to allow for picking off people covering a position (if you're entering a compound through a door being covered f.ex.). With low TTK the defender already has a big advantage, no need to make it ridiculous with super slow strafing speed. This was a major flaw in PR because it was actually better to run in and hip fire spray then to ADS and clear it - simply because of how stupid slow ADS strafing was.

ADS strafing speed needs to be reasonably high to allow for picking off people covering a position (if you're entering a compound through a door being covered f.ex.). With low TTK the defender already has a big advantage, no need to make it ridiculous with super slow strafing speed. This was a major flaw in PR because it was actually better to run in and hip fire spray then to ADS and clear it - simply because of how stupid slow ADS strafing was.

Agree with you there. It must be tweaked, so there is possible to flank a position. As you say, it was no use to do this in PR at all.

What if slow strafe allows you to place yourself right on the corner and do a proper lean (the one allowing you to see things and stay in cover) ? Then teammates assault the compound while you cover them, because teamplay etc.

What if slow strafe allows you to place yourself right on the corner and do a proper lean (the one allowing you to see things and stay in cover) ? Then teammates assault the compound while you cover them, because teamplay etc.

It's incredibly tedious to strafe a bit, lean out, strafe some more, lean out... Imagine clearing a whole building with 20+ rooms like this. It's just not practical.

I'm with BanOkay and Miller on this if you handicap that feature people will not use it at all.

It is much more important to get stamina system implemented so the overall gamespeed slows down and we start to see some froze ups on strategical positions and more carefull play. Now best tactic is just to run around and keep moving as there is atm. infinite sprint. Another thing is to have crouch (and prone) implemented with accuracy bonuses so you can actually stop enemies sprinting around in open places in close ranges (sub. 40 meters) even when there is stamina system. Current accuracy is on the edge on that matter.

Insurgency style "move > stop > lean > move > stop > lean" implementation is poor and pita to use. In fact I didn't see it to be used too often (none) in PvP / CooP missions there in my few hour overall playtime.

PS. There is proper lean implemented in SQD, but like said above other gameplay mechanics are still heavily work in progress so it is unbalanced towards run, sprint, gun and win.... ATM. :)

It's incredibly tedious to strafe a bit, lean out, strafe some more, lean out... Imagine clearing a whole building with 20+ rooms like this. It's just not practical.

You should do it in 1 or 2 moves max after some practising. I mean if This sounds tedious, I dont know what it's going to be regarding air vehicles handling. And obviously Id rather spend few more seconds doing that tedious task hidden, rather than show myself "sup enemies ! Im there ! Please dont throw nades while I lean thx", hide back, and then lean. Good luck on doing stealth moves.

Imagine being the green guy trying to entry this compound which only has 1 red guy covering it. He can be at any one of the marked positions. You can't check all positions in 1-2 moves. You need to check it position by position - having a super slow ADS speed would mean you'd have to starfe just a bit, then lean to check a single position. Do this 10x for a single compound and it becomes tedious. 

6LfEVAw.png

The guy covering already has an advantage with a better angle, low TTK favours him more as well. No need to give him even more advantages and making entering compounds like this impossible. 

"Faster" ADS means you could just starfe check most of these positions 2x faster while having a better chance of a fair fight. You could also use the lean feature if you knew approx. position of this enemy (or want to be safer, or to check the very corners).

I wonder what kind of player would stay hidden there enough longer not to do any noise or anything else that wouldnt help you to locate him.

Just move with your squad, drop smoke, drop grenades, be smart, use teamplay, ask your teammates to cover that area while you check that other area, get in through several entries (at the same time), etc.

I just want to improve teamplay. I dont want Squad to be like many other boring games where teammates dont depend on each others and where you can play lone wolf most of the time, otherwise I dont see what so called gap it would fill.

This has nothing to do with teamplay, others covering different areas, smoke nades or multiple entrances. At the end od the day you need to go in there and entry the guy covering a position. Super slow ADS (as is currently in PR) translates into people running in, hipfiring and hoping to get a kill. Where's your teamplay then?

This has nothing to do with teamplay, others covering different areas, smoke nades or multiple entrances. At the end od the day you need to go in there and entry the guy covering a position.

This doesnt make any sense to me. It sounds like you never experienced any real teamplay situations, and therefore have no idea what we're talking about here. I hope Im wrong though.

Super slow ADS (as is currently in PR) translates into people running in, hipfiring and hoping to get a kill. Where's your teamplay then?

Hopefully you dont play PR like that, otherwise you might have missed something.

If you choose to play like that you obviously totally ignore how you can take advantage of teamplay in PR. Then it may mean I was right above.

A golden middle way should be the best solution. Not too fast and not too slow. PR felt abit clunky when it came to that aspect.

I don't think he broke the front defenses on his own. Once the hangar got cleared, he rushed to the back to get those guys who clearly didn't expect the enemy to come from behind. They actually barely counter fire, showing how surprised they were.

This doesnt make any sense to me. It sounds like you never experienced any real teamplay situations, and therefore have no idea what we're talking about here. I hope Im wrong though.

Hopefully you dont play PR like that, otherwise you might have missed something.

If you choose to play like that you obviously totally ignore how you can take advantage of teamplay in PR. Then it may mean I was right above.

When talking about a specific gameplay mechanic you need to forget about everything else and just think about the gameplay. You can have the best teamplay, squad covering your every angle, perfect nades etc. but in the end you still need to aim at an enemy and press mouse1. When a guy is covering an angle he's gonna have a huge upper hand because he's already aiming to where you'll pop out from, better angle, low TTK and then your slow movement.

In PR the defender usually has more than a second to shoot at you before you even see him. That's ridiculous and terrible for gameplay. That is why it's actually better to simply run in and hipfire spray the guy. Unfortunately that gives you better chances.

I knew 3ti's video would come in handy. This is how good players play PR, this is what works

https://youtu.be/RI2mWTa_0Eo?t=1m54s

In PR the defender usually has more than a second to shoot at you before you even see him. That's ridiculous and terrible for gameplay

Which shouldnt happen in Squad thanks to the lean.

Btw regarding the tedious task of placing yourself, leaning, moving, leaning etc. until you get right on the corner : remember you can move while leaning, so no need to unlean, lean back or whatever. You'll just come 1 meter from the corner to make sure you stay hidden, aim, lean, slow strafe to the corner, end of the story'

Which shouldnt happen in Squad thanks to the lean.

Btw regarding the tedious task of placing yourself, leaning, moving, leaning etc. until you get right on the corner : remember you can move while leaning, so no need to unlean, lean back or whatever. You'll just come 1 meter from the corner to make sure you stay hidden, aim, lean, slow strafe to the corner, end of the story'

I imagine the lean-strafe speed will be about 50% of normal strafing speed, so that's not really a solution. A lean just enables you to peek 1 position while exposing yourself less.