DAkAR

Details on Vehicles for modding purposes

Hi everyone, 

I am currently building an Abrams M1A2 SEP Tusk 2. 

In order to make this model fit into the actual game one day, i`d like to know a few things, so i can build my model around the actuall needs. 

First, what polycount should a main battletank for Sqaud have at max? 

And second, for main battletanks, will there be a fully featured, fully functional interior, including animations for all the actions performed when operating a tank? 

I understand if my questions can not be answered as of now, due to an NDA. In that case i`ll just wait. 

best regards
David

Oh, and maybe someone is willing to tell me how to upload pictures directly to this forum instead of using external links :)

1.jpg

Edit: Guess this was the wrong sub-forum, just found the "Question" forum.

Sad to hear that. 
On the other hand, it will be much easier for modders to build a vehicle.

Well interiors have been pretty much confirmed as a no go, in the sense your mentioning

I'm not sure about interiors for tanks, but I'm quite certain that interiors for transport vehicles (Atleast things like trucks and mechanized infantry) were confirmed. I heard them talk about it in an interview being streamed. I believe they said they wanted to capture that feeling of insecurity when being transported, hardly being able to see anything.

Well interiors have been pretty much confirmed as a no go, in the sense your mentioning

What? I thought the devs said yes but it would be done much later in development

What? I thought the devs said yes but it would be done much later in development

maybe he doesnt mean interiors in general, just the way i mentioned. which would be pretty much like ARMA, just better :D

most games (fps mill games) have interior for vehicles, just not so much for tanks, which is a shame really.

imagine having to climb ontto the tank, open the hatch, get into the tank, close the hatch and flip a few switches. 

would be awesome

maybe he doesnt mean interiors in general, just the way i mentioned. which would be pretty much like ARMA, just better :D

most games (fps mill games) have interior for vehicles, just not so much for tanks, which is a shame really.

imagine having to climb ontto the tank, open the hatch, get into the tank, close the hatch and flip a few switches.

would be awesome

I'm talking about the tank, I'm pretty sure Devs said it would happen, but not until much later

They didn't want to mess up like Red Orchestra and try to do tank interiors at the beginning, which really delayed them

I'm talking about the tank, I'm pretty sure Devs said it would happen, but not until much later

They didn't want to mess up like Red Orchestra and try to do tank interiors at the beginning, which really delayed them

I see. Thanks for the clarification

As I remember motherdear said it something he'd like to do, not something they have in the plans. Transport vehicles will get interiors for sure, but if they'll be animated is something I doubt will happen, and frankly it's better that way because it takes half the time to make a new vehicle than just the interiors and animations for one tank

and frankly it's better that way because it takes half the time to make a new vehicle than just the interiors and animations for one tank

Which is probably why no one is doing interiors for tanks, i get that.
I`m not to crazy about animations for flipping each and every switch, though sitting inside a fully modelled tank would be so much more immersive and worth the effort in my opinion.
The bigger problem i see would be the polycount. Having a fully modelled interior would extend the polycount by at least one third of the actual tank model.   

We haven't fully pinned down the max polycount for vehicles yet.  Still working on where we stand on that.  

Ok. I´ll just go for it then and reduce polygons later if necessary.

no offense but there's no point modelling a vehicle that's going to be included anyway

maybe your variant is different from the one they're putting in game but it would be better to build off the game model when it's released imo

no offense but there's no point modelling a vehicle that's going to be included anyway

maybe your variant is different from the one they're putting in game but it would be better to build off the game model when it's released imo

Now i know, but i didn`t when i started modelling. I don`t have much time so I´m working on that model for quite a while now.  

I could stop and start over with something more usefull to Squad, but i dont like unfinished business.

No offense taken btw.  

Now i know, but i didn`t when i started modelling. I don`t have much time so I´m working on that model for quite a while now.  

I could stop and start over with something more usefull to Squad, but i dont like unfinished business.

No offense taken btw.  

just keep the elements that make it unique and hope you can stick it on the official model

or start making Chinese assets

Is a specific US MBT even confirmed yet? 

The M1a1 and M1a2. Probably both will be SEP, the A2 will have TUSK. 

Sad to hear that. 

On the other hand, it will be much easier for modders to build a vehicle.

Not to my knowledge.... Yet nothing is stopping you from modding this complete.

So you could add in UE4 blueprint modding to your design and have interior designs.

Also your design could go over well with other designers that might be working on mods. I believe we have a map thread for designers etc. Going on maybe other threads too.

Not to my knowledge.... Yet nothing is stopping you from modding this complete.

So you could add in UE4 blueprint modding to your design and have interior designs.

Also your design could go over well with other designers that might be working on mods. I believe we have a map thread for designers etc. Going on maybe other threads too.

I`m sure it`ll find its place.

For now I`m focusing on completing the exterior, still way to go.

As for the interior, i`m not sure if I will model it, though i have a ton of reference, so i might aswell do it. 

Next, I´d like to move it to UE4, get the treads working with independent wheel movement for uneven ground and stuff, though I guess I`ll have to wait with that till i know how Squad will handle that kind of things.

yeah and then when your done you can pretty much do the mod # through steam once your completed and Devs have it ready for modding.

So your off to a great start.

do you have some screenshots for us? of your work. I am not alone when i say we enjoy looking at peoples work.

-if your able to post on what steps you did from 1 to end type thing.

I am excited to review the work you have done.

Thanks

do you have some screenshots for us? 

I dont have pictures from start to finish, but i could do some screenshots of its current state.

I am excited to review the work you have done.

Here you go. 

As you can clearly see, this is a WIP. 

For the proportions i used some blueprints i found on google, i now, its not 100% accurate, but when i startet modelling, it wasn`t mean to be, so blueprints seemed fine to me.  
For the detail, i used hundrets of images found on google.
I used a combination of box modelling and poly-by-poly technics as well as some boolean with proper cleanup.
As of now, the modell, including all detail, is around 220.000 tris, which is pretty much, considered it isn`t even done yet, but i didn`t clean it up yet. 
Some tools in Maya, need quads to work correct, so there are many polygons that are not necessary for the actual shape of the model. This is going to be cleaned up later. 
I was aiming for 200K tris at the end, including all detail, maybe 250, depends on what detail i decide to add to the modell. 

If you have any questions, dont hesitate asking

17cshj.jpg

2busf2.jpg

3bnsn6.jpg

4f8sm7.jpg

5fxshp.jpg

66xs12.jpg

74xs9w.jpg

8bss0q.jpg

93ss95.jpg

10toswx.jpg

What Igno said, we would love to have you drop by the Modding hub! we can help you with any questions about the game and modding that you have. also, its easy to get direct feedback there either from other professionals or the devs themselves :)

https://discord.gg/0jXt1Y2dpl8v3TAl