Brisk

Forum Software Feedback

49 posts in this topic

My biggest problem is you don't get any sort of notification when people quote your posts. I'm spoiled by other forums that do that and I really miss it here. Not sure if something like that could be implemented. The CD Projekt Red forums has this feature and it's really nice. 

This is editable in your notification settings. I've been sitting here at work getting e-mail's everytime someone quotes me.

What I would like to see is a Mention feature that other IP.Board sites have. Essentially you can just type @username in your post and it sends that person a notification that they were mentioned.

Sometimes the problem is actually between the keyboard and the chair ! :P

This is editable in your notification settings. I've been sitting here at work getting e-mail's everytime someone quotes me.

What I would like to see is a Mention feature that other IP.Board sites have. Essentially you can just type @username in your post and it sends that person a notification that they were mentioned.

Oh it is? I'll look into it. Thanks 

Two things I like to see:

1. Start enforcing your signature rule. Its getting ridicules with the size of the signature some people have.

2. Use HTML5 video embedding instead of flash.

1. Start enforcing your signature rule. Its getting ridicules with the size of the signature some people have.

I agree. It's really annoying. Signature images must be smaller than a post, not bigger.

My site ran with IPBoard for several years until they recently upped themselves to Version 4.  Simply put, along with a multitude of other issues, I had had enough of their product.  I went back to Xenforo and Im glad that I did.  Having said that I do have quite extensive knowledge of IPB and offer up any assistance the webmaster here might be interested in.  Having said all this I also understand that this place is growing so fast that if does take time to see trends, issues, problems and so on that require re-evaluation.  Time cures all my friends so lets give it that time!!

My cheers to whoever is doing all the grunt work here for this forum!!  Hit me up if you are interested in any of the programs that I still have and Im willing to give.  All the addons that I have are ok for version 3.-.-.

Yeah we are pretty behind on the forum work. If someone with good experience is interested please let me know but expect to be questioned thoroughly.

Ps. We dont have a dedicated person anymore im afraid.. :(

Yeah we are pretty behind on the forum work. If someone with good experience is interested please let me know but expect to be questioned thoroughly.

Depends what you need done. I'm going for a B.A. in Web Design but I'm only in my sophomore year, haven't hit the big classes yet.

Experienced with the back-end of XenForo, IP.Board, and vB tho.

Well PM IrOnTaXi and schedule an interview.
I am sure any help is better than no help at all.  :)

Not sure why my Registration Info shows under my avatar in the forum. It's not a big deal but is it necessary?

Not sure why my Registration Info shows under my avatar in the forum. It's not a big deal but is it necessary?

Public doesn't see it.

Only Admin/Mods see it.

Agreed, only Admin/Mods can see it and the individual member.  It can be turned off Im pretty sure in the backend settings and should be.  It is harmless, I see it under my avatar too, but it is distracting and should be disabled.

Public doesn't see it.

Only Admin/Mods see it.

Thanks.

Agreed, only Admin/Mods can see it and the individual member.  It can be turned off Im pretty sure in the backend settings and should be.  It is harmless, I see it under my avatar too, but it is distracting and should be disabled.

Agree 100%.

Moved into "Site Feedback" from "Game Feedback"

For a quick and dirty fix regarding the ugly, oversized forum signatures, simply add this CSS:

.signature {   overflow: hidden;   max-height: 80px !important;}

Of course, this can be extended in functionality by using Javascript, simply by adding a "toggle signature" button.

If you like, I will provide you the corresponding script.

Regarding overall site cleanness and user comfort, I'd suggest not allowing user signatures higher than 1/3 of the smallest possible post height.

I appreciate the feedback SINE. 

Im going to hold off on implementing any code changes just for now as we are looking at upgrading the site software in the near future.  I want to see that through first and do any adjustments after that.  We made some progress with the Sig sizes and we are ok with what we came up with.  Most of the members have been super with staying within the guidelines while others refuse and get their sigs removed. 

Yeah I have been running a test site with it.  Some things I dont like but more than enough good to give it a thumbs up!

Can we get our forum signatures back and get a forum that shows who is on the forum....I still miss some features of the old forum.  Is it time for an upgraded forum again?

Turning the signatures back on is very simple to do but usually the policing of that feature is something else.  Unless the mods here keep a real close eye on them and set some very solid rules for it then it can really slow down and junk up the forums.

The "Who is Online" feature is again really easy to add or activate and should be returned to the forums right away.  I like it and use it on my site.

There is lots that could be done with these forums but doesnt happen.  This is either because the owners here dont want them or are still holding on to the belief that 3rd party addons (features) open the site to hackers and such.  This is archaic thinking but it is their forums and they can do whatever they want with it. 

The forums here are using, by the looks of it, the latest software upgrades and IPS has really come a long way with their ver 4.x.  At first I hated it but it has evolved nicely and continues to shine brightly. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah I suppose if things got really advanced this could turn into Facebook site for Squad players only, but would that be such a bad thing if it became so?  I mean I come here and do more interaction than Facebook, in fact I rarely get on Facebook anymore, I guess I just want to hang out here and make games too much.  :) Rather talk about cool stuff here.  Need more features...please.  Might even charge for having a gaming Geocities type site, where you can make stuff too...maybe Im stuck in the future...I got ideas...Rev things up!

Anyone interested in joining a site and have it like Facebook for Squad players only?

Or a Squad players club, where you get your own pages and links, chat box, you share your real identity, you can share files, coordinate on projects, do all kinds of things, maybe even start a server for online matches...an exclusive club for hard core players.  No level ups just the bragging rights of being a member.

Edited by XRobinson