Brisk

Forum Software Feedback

49 posts in this topic

This section is meant for the game itself, but it still seems the most appropriate.

Now that this forum is getting more crowded, I'd like to open up a thread where people can post feedback about this forum software. Some of the issues I've noticed (as a traditional desktop user) are:

1. Quoting. If you do anything beyond quoting an entire post word for word (without cutting out text or separating the quote into different sections), quoting is a nightmare. It also seems impossible to create a quote with a custom name (if I want to quote someone from a different forum, for example). These all seem to stem from limitations of the graphical based posting style of this forum, as opposed to text based.

2. Looking through the posts of specific users. If I go to someone's profile, I can only view his/her 5 latest posts. Why is this?

3. Images. When someone posts an unnecessarily large image, it blows up the whole page. Also, I'm not fond of the embedded "window" that pops up when I click on an image. The standard is to open the image up by itself in a new tab, and I'd like that trend continued here.

4. There is no "Mark all forums read" button.

I don't know how much control you have over this forum software, therefore I don't know if you can do anything about these issues. I'm just letting you know they're a problem.

you got a key in the bottom of the forum that says mark community read thats gona help you on point #4 

you got a key in the bottom of the forum that says mark community read thats gona help you on point #4 

Well damn you're right. I guess I'm just used to seeing it next to "view unread posts".

If you click on the "Find content" button when you check a users posts you can find all of them.

Yep, I've been guilty of that.  :)

I'm I just an idiot, but I haven't been able to find how to reverse the order of posts? So, instead of clicking on a thread and automatically going to the first post, it takes you to the latest.

I'm I just an idiot, but I haven't been able to find how to reverse the order of posts? So, instead of clicking on a thread and automatically going to the first post, it takes you to the latest.

Click on the black circle next to the title. If you've commented in the thread, it looks like two word bubbles.

Double Post problem.

It seems like its a bug of the forum software. If you click on "post" and nothing happend, you might think that it didnt work or something and press it again.

Dont do that, it already wokred but your form with your text is still open for a reason.

So only hit "Post" once, or you double post.

Double Post problem.

It seems like its a bug of the forum software. If you click on "post" and nothing happend, you might think that it didnt work or something and press it again.

Dont do that, it already wokred but your form with your text is still open for a reason.

So only hit "Post" once, or you double post.

Exactly this. I'm not sure how people haven't figured out that if you hit Post just once and then refresh the page, your post is there. Don't spam the button.

Yeah, the forum software is crap. It would be much better to have one with front page layout where you could see announcements. These get buried way too easily now. Also missing is a shoutbox, so if people have simple questions they don't need to create new threads (we probably have over 100 threads like this now), also a nice place for people to shoot the shit about anything.

Look at how PRTA forums look like, it's a much better format. PRTA > All.

Agreed, IPBoard is overpriced as hell and just shitty in general. The whole AJAX double post bug is annoying, and you can't even delete your own posts. No option to turn off signatures, a messaging system that looks like it's 10 years old, confusing UI that sometimes does and sometimes doesn't what you want to do, etc...You guys should consider looking into a more modern forum software, such as Woltlab Burning Board, which is excellent (and german :D) and works.

Burning Board Forum Software is great.

We use it for our little company and it works just fine.

Yup, I used to (co) run a pretty large coding forum and that's what we used, it was really a high-quality piece of software.

Yeah, I ran wbb as well on the website for a mod I was working on, it was really good.

Problem with Wotlab Burning Board is its very German language focused. :)

Xenforo is the closest alternative to IPB.

Problem with Wotlab Burning Board is its very German language focused. :)

Xenforo is the closest alternative to IPB.

Its a german company sure :)

But we run an english forum as well and everything works fine. But its not a huge deal. I guess we can live with this forum software too. It just needs some minor bug-fixes.

Please consider to use XenForo, as Ban mentioned it works great and fast for the PRTA forums with more than 12.000 threads. A chatbox and an option to like posts would be also useful additions.

My biggest problem is you don't get any sort of notification when people quote your posts. I'm spoiled by other forums that do that and I really miss it here. Not sure if something like that could be implemented. The CD Projekt Red forums has this feature and it's really nice. 

Hello there fellowRO2 forum member! Got yaaaa!!!!!!! :3

Oh and i like the forum software alot!

I am on a couple of I.P Board forums.

I think adding the rep system in where people can up or down a post would be good, along with detailing in the rep a rank of some sort. For example 10 good rep = Good guy, 10 bad reps = Satan.

had a couple of times where it wont log me off correctly. Has some sort of log off bug. It happened today and found I was still logged into forum even when I checked after error log off that said I wasnt...but came back hours later to discover Im still logged on..

wierd...

I think its the CloudFlare CDN causing the issues, not the forum software. :)