BrossParavoss

Optimization. The number of players on the server

I noticed, that if the server is less than 20 players I have 60 fps and if the server is more 50 players, I have 25-30 fps.

I have a question: what a difference how many players on the server are, if I'm not see them? I mean if they don't download on my screen, why my fps drops?

It all comes down to the animation system, it's being reworked though. I'll find a quote from a developer, wait one.

Edited with quote, there is another one that I will find.

And just to give you a little more insight on low fps on populated servers it is specifically tied to our current animation system.

We partially inherited our system from a previous coder who while rather a smart fella wanted to do the whole system procedurally and this ended up creating a lot of baggage when you mutliplied it by the number of players. (Ie every player is recreating this baggage for every player)

We have started unravelling that mess as part of our process of replacing the animation system but its very complex as many system rely on the animation system.

Once we are done it should gearly improve that bottlneck.

I can't find the forum post for this one, it might have been on Reddit instead.

Online play your being limited by animations / bones system which is currently replicating all the bones for all players. (Think 150 plus bones / player x 72 players!!)

We are in the process of addressing this but it wont be fully adressed for a few weeks. (We need to rework some part of anim system)

Once we crack that bottleneck.. and we will. You will finally get all these frames back in multiplay as well

I have a question: what a difference how many players on the server are, if I'm not see them? I mean if they don't download on my screen, why my fps drops?

It does not matter if they are in your vision or not. They exist in the game world and have to be registered. Hence.... more players, more data, more taxing on the hardware and net traffic.    

So once they fix this I wonder if I'll get the same fps I get in the firing range? Cuz that would be amazing...

I do believe the map size plays a part of it.

It's mainly the animation system, or so I believe. The map size really shouldn't matter, as long as you're not loading in every single object on the map, which no game makes you load everything.

In PR map size and where you are looking affects fps hugely, you stand at the edge looking to the center of an urban map compared with looking at the sky - enormous difference.

It seems that although the computer isn't showing you everything it still has to work out what to draw and which LOD (Level of detail) applies as you constantly flick around the mouse.

So once they fix this I wonder if I'll get the same fps I get in the firing range? Cuz that would be amazing...

you won't