Sign in to follow this  
CMBelite-FR

Disable suppression from friendly fire ?

53 posts in this topic

As the title suggests, what do you guys think?

I personally think it should be disable? For instance, I'm in the prone position on a roof of a compound, engaging enemies, then I have friendlies crouching or standing a bit backward of me engaging and all the sudden I get suppressed from them, messing my vision and aiming.

Thats just one example, they are much more scenarios where I'm more suppressed by my friendlies rather by enemies lol.

I mean I think we should disable friendly fire in cqb but not at longer range. Of course if you are being engaged by friendlies at 50/100/150+m because they thought you were enemy, you should then be suppressed as you wouldn't know that if it was enemy of friendly.

Weapon is dump,they don't care who is on sight frendly,enemy,civilian whatever.They do same thing to all,who on sight.

I think it should stay. I don't think that whoever is on path of fire should be relaxed... even if you know its friendlies providing suppression fire, they still could get you by mistake so i don't think you would feel ok with that.

I don't think that would be a good idea. It would take away an essential part of the game.

Knowing whether you're being wrongly suppressed by a teammate or in fact taking fire from an enemy.

I don't think that would be a good idea. It would take away an essential part of the game.

Knowing whether you're being wrongly suppressed by a teammate or in fact taking fire from an enemy.

But what if you´re not beeing suppressed by a teammate, but if he´s giving covering fire on an enemy position that you are advancing on. It gives the situation a very different mindset, in wich

the fire by the friendly unit should have a less threatening effect on yourself, wich results in a lower suppression.

In other words: Teammate shoots at doorway, while teammates moves close to doorway. enemy behind doorway is suppressed, while teammate is close to the door, yet not suppressed since he´s aware that the guy shooting in the doorway (his teammate) knows what he´s doing.

If you´ve been in the military and workin with flanking and covering fire you just know your shit.

But what if you´re not beeing suppressed by a teammate, but if he´s giving covering fire on an enemy position that you are advancing on. It gives the situation a very different mindset, in wich

the fire by the friendly unit should have a less threatening effect on yourself, wich results in a lower suppression.

In other words: Teammate shoots at doorway, while teammates moves close to doorway. enemy behind doorway is suppressed, while teammate is close to the door, yet not suppressed since he´s aware that the guy shooting in the doorway (his teammate) knows what he´s doing.

If you´ve been in the military and workin with flanking and covering fire you just know your shit.

It should indeed be tweak, but honestly, removing it all together doesn't make much sense.

Friendly Fire - Isn't. If you've ever been on the irl recieving end of any kind of fire, you know what I mean. 

It should stay. 100% the same as it feels to the enemy with no tweaks. One, as realism to a degree is the goal, this makes sense and two, it adds the additional layer of identifying what you're shooting at and communicating and being aware of where friendlies and enemies are at. 

Bullets are an equal opportunity danger in Squad. The effects shouldn't be nerfed because its an inconvenience that your buddies are shooting near you. 

Looks like you guys didn't all understand what I said.

I only say that suppression in close combat should be disabled, as you know that it's a friendly that is firing. Of course at medium or longer range, you may have no idea who is firing ? So suppressed you should be. I agree maybe at least diminish the suppression effect by friendly fire in CQB.

There is nothing more frustrating to be suppressed as hell by a friendly that is 10 feet away from you.

I personally think it should be disable? For instance, I'm in the prone position on a roof of a compound, engaging enemies, then I have friendlies crouching or standing a bit backward of me engaging and all the sudden I get suppressed from them, messing my vision and aiming.

Thats just one example, they are much more scenarios where I'm more suppressed by my friendlies rather by enemies lol.

I mean I think we should disable friendly fire in cqb but not at longer range. Of course if you are being engaged by friendlies at 50/100/150+m because they thought you were enemy, you should then be suppressed as you wouldn't know that if it was enemy of friendly.

I am going to have to agree with cky on this one.

Up close friendly fire, or RED HIT vision changes or anything to do with friendly fire should be the same as enemy firefight.

Now i can say, that the person who hits you, should get a good Very loud Sound Team shooting. Also the Server admin gets a warning message that xxx player is hitting players, and or TKing after the allotted hits have been detected. Also after so many friendly hits, and TK stops all bullets from making damage for a length of time or completely silenced, until the admin deals with it.

If we put in messages like XXX is shooting you it will cause more grief in chat. Everyone will come to defense or attack players. Its disruptive to the game play. So warns to you about xx player shooting you isnt a good thing. But warnings on the attackers side, and or silence thing is a good thing if they are doing it on purpose.

The only real way to avoid this is if server admins have the option of turning off friendly fire on the server. Unless the devs spend time at coding in friendly fire 50m not allowed for server admins to enable or disable. A perm fix to the game, might not be what others are wanting in realism.

On another note, while prone or crouching:

Otherwise the Arm over your face vision thing, or bumps, or anything should be the same as enemy fight. Now if an arm goes over your view, like the trees do it is a collision thing that needs to be addressed. The player should be bumped backwards from you.

Hit-box distance. Being too close to the player will cause you to bump, shift to another location. Almost like running into a tree, you know you will not bend it =D

Sometimes collision things haven't been looked at close enough, and its a problem for most games. I understand where you are coming from CMB, but if you take away too much of it, the realism wont be there.

Edit

I covered a couple different things at close range. I restructured it, was all over the place.

I am going to have to agree with cky on this one.

Up close friendly fire, or vision changes or anything to do with friendly fire should be the same as enemy firefight.

Now i can say, that the person who hits you, should get a good Very loud Sound Team shooting. Also the Server admin gets a warning message that xxx player is hitting players, and or TKing after the allotted hits have been detected. Also after so many friendly hits, and TK stops all bullets from making damage for a length of time or completely silenced, until the admin deals with it.

Otherwise the vision thing, or bumps, or anything should be the same as enemy fight. Now if an arm goes over your view, like the trees do it is a collision thing that needs to be addressed. The player should be bumped backwards from you.

Hit-box distance. Being too close to the player will cause you to bump, shift to another location. Almost like running into a tree, you know you will not bend it =D

If we put in messages like XXX is shooting you it will cause more grief in chat. Everyone will come to defense or attack players. Its disruptive to the game play. So warns to you about xx player shooting you isnt a good thing. But warnings on the attackers side, and or silence thing is a good thing if they are doing it on purpose.

Sometimes collision things haven't been looked at close enough, and its a problem for most games. I understand where you are coming from CMB, but if you take away too much of it, the realism wont be there.

The only real way to avoid this is if server admins have the option of turning off friendly fire on the server. Unless the devs spend time at coding in friendly fire 50m not allowed for server admins to enable or disable.

i believe this is what your saying.

Well I'm not talking about TK.

For example, I saw an enemy, I give the bearing to my squad:

I'm in the prone positions starting to engage, a squad mate is crouching 3 feets behind my feets and starts shooting:

Thus I get suppressed as hell messing my vision and aiming. That why I suggested to disable or even to tone down a little bit the friendly suppression in CQB. There is no reason to be suppressed by a friendly that is shooting behind you or close to you.

I get most suppressed by friendlies rather then enemies lol

A bullet is a bullet no matter the relation of who it comes from.  If you hear cracks and pops that means someone is shooting at you or past you and you should take cover.  If there was no friendly suppression then you would keep moving most likely into the line of fire, which is not a happy circumstance for both parties involved.

Removed? No. Tweaked - slightly reduced for friendly fire? Yes. Increased for enemy fire (especially range/radius): yes :)

But it's in a pretty good place already. :)

Ok, you go lay down, I'll grab a rifle and go crouch behind you and fire off a few rounds and you tell me how that muzzle blast feels.

Wrong! You never cross a friendly line of fire while assaulting a position, that is just asking for friendly fire. I mean, seriously? If your teammates have the enemy pinned down why would you approach it from the same angle they are suppressing it from? Thats just dumb.

While I think any bullets whizzing by your head should suppress you, I don't think a teammate standing 1m away firing over the same wall in the same direction you are should. I haven't tested it out in game to see if suppression is that nuanced, but it would be nice if it was. If it can't be, I'd be in support of lowering the suppression overall for QCB.

This is the dumbest thing ever. If you don't think this idea is dumb, you're dumb.

If someone shoots near you - enemy or friendly, the effect should be the same, BECAUSE THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING.

A gun is being fired by your ear, a friendly's gun is loud, an enemy's gun is loud. There should be no different effect.

Morons.

This is the dumbest thing ever. If you don't think this idea is dumb, you're dumb.

If someone shoots near you - enemy or friendly, the effect should be the same, BECAUSE THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING.

A gun is being fired by your ear, a friendly's gun is loud, an enemy's gun is loud. There should be no different effect.

Morons.

You realize that when rounds are fired close to you in reality, they don't blur your vision, right? The sound would be similar/the same (situation dependent), but there is no "suppression effect" in real life. It's a gameplay element used to simulate being suppressed. 

I think you might be the moron here. 

"suppression effect" in real life is just you keeping cover because you getting shot all around you.. your sight doesn't go blurry or anything.

yeah in the game its blurriness and it's great it gives you a similar ish effect.. (of getting scared I guess)

and like I said before , it should stay . if you're proning and suddenly a guy shooting from behind you.. you'll have a lil flinch or w/e you wont be as accurate as you'll be in a firing range. (with nothing interrupting you)