Sign in to follow this  
CMBelite-FR

Disable suppression from friendly fire ?

53 posts in this topic

Keep it on par guys, no reason to be rude to each other. It makes a ton of sense what the OP is talking about. How much suppression, is the question.

@lugnut, you know why we don't know enough about it? because we give everyone space. Its wrong to stand over someone and fire on top of them. Most don't do it, and if they do, you move out yourself and let them die.

I am sure you too have seen this before.

Should the effects be all blurry, to the extent the OP is saying? well do we get the concussion from a shot 3 feet from us? maybe so. Do we get it in RL 1 feet away? i am sure we do.

So as before i have to stand that i believe they should be reduced some allowing you to at least shoot your gun. But to remove the realism away from it totally, no.

Sorry OP i was referring to the full effects of TK, to the blurry, to the collision having someone right on top of you. Since most of it happens being so close, didn't mean to take it off track like that.

"suppression effect" in real life is just you keeping cover because you getting shot all around you.. your sight doesn't go blurry or anything.

yeah in the game its blurriness and it's great it gives you a similar ish effect.. (of getting scared I guess)

and like I said before , it should stay . if you're proning and suddenly a guy shooting from behind you.. you'll have a lil flinch or w/e you wont be as accurate as you'll be in a firing range. (with nothing interrupting you)

Are you speaking from personal experience?

i have fought in Syria for 2 years and never experienced anything like this.

So, by this logic, if you go to a shooting range, you should be terrified? 

You realize that when rounds are fired close to you in reality, they don't blur your vision, right? The sound would be similar/the same (situation dependent), but there is no "suppression effect" in real life. It's a gameplay element used to simulate being suppressed. 

I think you might be the moron here. 

This is a video game. If enemy shots cause blur, so should friendly shots.

Say if someone shoots from behind me, how am I supposed to differentiate between an enemy shooting behind me and a friendly? Exactly I can't so the effect should remain the same.

And guess what, at fire ranges you wear ear protection, which blocks out a lot of the noise.

In the army they only wear headphones with take the sharpness off the noise.

Insurgents wear nothing at all. 

The suppression effect (blurriness) is to simulate being shot at. In real life of course there isn't blurriness. Its there in Squad so that shooting from a range is pointless so you take cover (just like real life).

Without it, there would need to be some other effect, which begs the question 'Why fix what isnt broken?'

This is the dumbest thing ever. If you don't think this idea is dumb, you're dumb.

-

-

Morons.

§5 Language, Free Speech & Respect

This community can only work if we all respect each other - while we will not strictly moderate every little swear that occurs, the Squad Moderation Team will moderate any spiteful / aggressive behaviour, even if it is not expressed with explicit language. As a privately hosted web forum, there is no guaranteed “right for free speech”, especially not when it would impact other users negatively. The moderation reserves the right to remove rants and unsuitable content at any time.

Please keep discussion respectful and mature. If you feel the need to resort to personal attacks during an argument, you've already lost.

Thanks guys!

This is a video game. If enemy shots cause blur, so should friendly shots.

Say if someone shoots from behind me, how am I supposed to differentiate between an enemy shooting behind me and a friendly? Exactly I can't so the effect should remain the same.

And guess what, at fire ranges you wear ear protection, which blocks out a lot of the noise.

In the army they only wear headphones with take the sharpness off the noise.

Insurgents wear nothing at all. 

The suppression effect (blurriness) is to simulate being shot at. In real life of course there isn't blurriness. Its there in Squad so that shooting from a range is pointless so you take cover (just like real life).

Without it, there would need to be some other effect, which begs the question 'Why fix what isnt broken?'

I don't think its the point of being broken, its related to removing some of the close up effects. I do believe i complained when i first started about the amount of suppression you get by having someone close to you feeling like hes shooting you. I usually just move away from people. I tend to find the SL gets everyone all bunched up and it gets you killed to quickly. That's not how i like to play.

I understand we need to keep realism to close as possible but if suppression can be reduced, to a slight "Purple Haze" border, but not taking up the whole screen it would be fine.

I cant remember guys? does the screen shake at all? do we lose focus through the scopes too?

Just curious

Well i went to the range today and a girl was shooting her bf's ak next to me....needless to say...i was scared.

Though in all seriousness i dont want to have someone firing right beside me. Best reference i can think of is blackhawk down when the machine gunner team gets separated from the rest of the rangers and the 1 guy loses his hearing.

Needless to say It affects you when someone else is firing within arms length of you.

the gun sounds?

situational awareness?

you're being very abrasive for someone who is for the most part wrong

just make it so friendly's can't suppress you within a certain range

I know what you mean. But even this I would keep full suppresion effectfrom friendly from close. bullet whzzz is bullet whzzz no matter from who and how far. 

Well i went to the range today and a girl was shooting her bf's ak next to me....needless to say...i was scared.

Though in all seriousness i dont want to have someone firing right beside me. Best reference i can think of is blackhawk down when the machine gunner team gets separated from the rest of the rangers and the 1 guy loses his hearing.

Needless to say It affects you when someone else is firing within arms length of you.

Wombly!

I don't think it should be changed but common grounds would be to nerf it a bit. But just a little if its from friendly fire thought I myself barely even notice it anymore.  

Please keep discussion respectful and mature. If you feel the need to resort to personal attacks during an argument, you've already lost.

Thanks guys!

Yeah maybe instead of berating each other for having an opinion maybe take it with a grain of salt and improve upon the idea.... 

I know what you mean. But even this I would keep full suppresion effectfrom friendly from close. bullet whzzz is bullet whzzz no matter from who and how far. 

yeah and bullets don't produce some vision blurring aura

no trained soldier should shit himself because one of his squad mates is firing next to him

Are you speaking from personal experience?

i have fought in Syria for 2 years and never experienced anything like this.

so you fought in syria for 2 years .. and never took cover when got shot upon?

sounds like a super soldeir 

so you fought in syria for 2 years .. and never took cover when got shot upon?

sounds like a super soldeir

Oh yeah, I was pretty good. I graduated top of my class and I've been involved in numorous secret raids.

Actually that ginger guy was comic relief, and didn't neccesarily resemble real life. In my time when I was deployed I was the comic relief character too, but I didn't go deaf from machinegun fire, so it's not realistic to put it into the game tbh.

it's more to simulate the fact that in games people play like they are rambo because there is no danger at all from running through a hailstorm of rpg,machinegun fire and mortars... it makes people put there characters head down and think about their movement..

As the title suggests, what do you guys think?

I personally think it should be disable? For instance, I'm in the prone position on a roof of a compound, engaging enemies, then I have friendlies crouching or standing a bit backward of me engaging and all the sudden I get suppressed from them, messing my vision and aiming.

Thats just one example, they are much more scenarios where I'm more suppressed by my friendlies rather by enemies lol.

I mean I think we should disable friendly fire in cqb but not at longer range. Of course if you are being engaged by friendlies at 50/100/150+m because they thought you were enemy, you should then be suppressed as you wouldn't know that if it was enemy of friendly.

Just tell your team mate he is supressing you.

As it stands I try to make space between myself and teammates when firing. I have no issue with FF causing problems if they are firing in my direction, but when next to me outside of 5' firing in the same direction it should just be audio only. I can see where a gun firing over my head within 2' would make me see stars and blur my vision just from the sheer shock value. 

A bigger issue to me that seems like a (bug balance issue) is wearing headphones and the echo of sound when you fire within a building or fire off the saw gun for the first time. It nearly makes me go deaf as the balance of audio isn't correct. It should be loud, but not make my ears bleed. 

As it stands I try to make space between myself and teammates when firing. I have no issue with FF causing problems if they are firing in my direction, but when next to me outside of 5' firing in the same direction it should just be audio only. I can see where a gun firing over my head within 2' would make me see stars and blur my vision just from the sheer shock value. 

A bigger issue to me that seems like a (bug balance issue) is wearing headphones and the echo of sound when you fire within a building or fire off the saw gun for the first time. It nearly makes me go deaf as the balance of audio isn't correct. It should be loud, but not make my ears bleed. 

have you ever fired a gun without hearing protection? Let alone the SAW with a fire rate of 900 rpm, turn down your volume, I prefer to keep mine up I enjoy going deaf from explosions and machine guns.

have you ever fired a gun without hearing protection? Let alone the SAW with a fire rate of 900 rpm, turn down your volume, I prefer to keep mine up I enjoy going deaf from explosions and machine guns.

I totally get that, but I'm just talking about an audio balance in the game itself. It should be loud, but not loud enough that I'm physically gonna go deaf. The balance of the audio needs to have a max loud setting not to blow someone's speakers or ear drums out. When i turn my audio way down I can barely hear the pistol go off in my hands, but then I fire the SAW indoors and my speakers pop. God forbid I wear my headphones I'll lose my hearing. There just seems to be something off with the audio balance in game.  Not an issue I have with other games, but I understand this is still an Alpha.

I wear these:

SONY Dynamic Stereo Headphones MDR-7506

So, by this logic, if you go to a shooting range, you should be terrified? 

Your point is well taken but I'm not sure its a parallel response to what he was getting at.  A firing range is a completely controlled environment.  Its not about the fact that guns are being fired as much as it is bullets are passing by you - two completely different ideas at work here.  Being in battle and having bullets fly by you, be it friend or foe is a completely different experience.  In both cases you (I would hope) would realize that bullets are flying by and to some degree shit your pants.  So I like the suppression as it stands.

Most of the time it is not a problem, but if there is a guy with a SAW anywhere near you, the levels of suppression is too much, I shouldnt get full suppression from a AR guy that stands a meter to the side and 2 behind me.

i just stumbled across this clip and thought about this thread lol.  disable suppression lol.

Edited by chaz69

On 12/15/2016 at 10:25 AM, chaz69 said:

i just stumbled across this clip and thought about this thread lol.  disable suppression lol.

/thread 

27 minutes ago, grimshadow said:

LOL JUST Have Some SA (situational awareness). Just don't be a douch and shoot over a friendlies head. 

Pretty much this. Plus, I like having friendly suppression. It feels much more immersive and causes both you and the guy shooting overhead to rethink their target area. 

Had a guy with a SAW on top of my .50 bunker. We were both suppressing each other firing away, and it was pretty cool. Don't think it should be gotten rid of.