Romagnolo

What would make a good balance between night vision goggles and the use of flashlights in a night map?

I think you can have both sides use NVGs, there's plenty of evidence of insurgent forces the US/NATO forces have fought over the last 15 years having access to some sort of NVGs (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-06-19/missing-afghan-army-night-vision-goggles-may-aid-taliban  http://motherboard.vice.com/read/isis-might-be-using-canadian-night-vision-goggles).  Militia forces are also based on some of what the Russian army has faced and those rebels also have access to NVGs (http://americandictators.blogspot.com/2015/04/guerrilla-strategy-chechen-rebels-in.html) in fact some books make reference to the fact that the Chechen rebels had better NVGs than the Russian military did.

While the likelihood of the front line insurgent soldier possessing high quality night optics and knowing how to use them is much lower than the average US/Russian soldier it doesn't seem like flashlights should be their only method of night vision either.  What could be used as a balancing/realism factor could be the number of NVGs available to squads on each side, as well as potentially the quality or even type (active IR vs. passive) or roles that have access to them.

I think it's pretty obvious that nobody means that you will be blinded permanently, or even "blinded" temporarily. It's a generalization. They mean you won't be able to see. Which is true. You won't. 

Your real world experience must be quite limited if you have never experienced this. 

Hombre, you're the one that came into this thread boasting extensive "real world experience", which you proceeded to immediately discredit by being an ass, while simultaneously spouting things that aren't true. 

Run along now. 

What the hell do you think I mean by blinded, and what do you think blinded means? Pretty sure it means "not able to see" lmfao.

You're coming off as the dick here, as if your tender sensibilities have been offended because someone questioned your knowledge...

Again, you won't be blinded, or "won't be able to see" (whatever wording you chose for the same thing), by looking into a bright light with NODs on that are autogated.

Let me guess, you're some 11badass who knows everything?

Not worth my time. There's gotta be an ignore list here to add you to.

What the hell do you think I mean by blinded, and what do you think blinded means? Pretty sure it means "not able to see" lmfao.

You're coming off as the dick here, as if your tender sensibilities have been offended because someone questioned your knowledge...

Again, you won't be blinded, or "won't be able to see" (whatever wording you chose for the same thing), by looking into a bright light with NODs on that are autogated.

My pog senses are tingling. 

By all means, please, add me to an ignore list, ignore me on your own volition, whatever you have to do to help yourself through this difficult time. 

Red light so you can't be seen in the distance too far, available to every faction. 

I am not sure how light is taken care of in game, but it would be nice to be able to see light source whenever they are pointed in your direction, and then not at all when pointed down. 

You can't really fix this. I, for example, have hotkeys which change my gamma settings through the NVIDIA Control Panel. The game can't stop me from doing so.

The game could have an inbuilt graphical level-filter which gradually activates when entering night and/or dark rooms (and areas in general) that make every pixel with a brightness below 15 (On a scale from 0 to 255)  turn completely black. That way, even if you turned up your gamma (No matter if you do it in-game or through 3rd party software) you'd get no extra details out of those dark areas. You could also make every pixel with a brightness of 15-30 be run through a grain-filter so you'd lose even more details and your game would generally get ugly. These values are just examples, of course.

Sure, you'd still get an advantage but not nearly as much.

Also, due to the grain-filter you'd have to endure playing with lots of dots moving around on your screen. I know I wouldn't have been able to live with that.

As far as conventional infantry goes right now, The Army and Marine Corps are still issuing PVS-14s. 

There are some PVS14s that are also autogated. Now if normal infantry units are issued those versions is beyond me, but then again, unless im mistaken, the US infantry models in Squad are using Crye Airframes as helmets, which isnt conventional infantry either. Just give em the goodies to go along with it and we'll all have fun ingame! :D

There are some PVS14s that are also autogated. Now if normal infantry units are issued those versions is beyond me, but then again, unless im mistaken, the US infantry models in Squad are using Crye Airframes as helmets, which isnt conventional infantry either. Just give em the goodies to go along with it and we'll all have fun ingame! :D

The 4-5 PVS14's I had issued to me were DEFINITELY not, lol, I've had many unpleasant encounters with flashlights/ir and the like while wearing them. This was in the Marine Corps though, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Army has better units. 

T2leftquarter.jpg

Maybe a couple of Taliban could have these? I don't know much about their current equipment but I do know the soviets left these behind when they withdrew from Afghanistan in 1989.

You can't really fix this. I, for example, have hotkeys which change my gamma settings through the NVIDIA Control Panel. The game can't stop me from doing so.

Not only that, but many can adust their monitors gamma with the physical controlls on their screen, such a shame that is.

40mm flares for Grenadiers (maybe give the SL one too, but no HE rounds)

maybe the ordinary Rifleman can give up his smokes for handheld flares too

very hard to implement but things including vegetation catching on fire

40mm flares for Grenadiers (maybe give the SL one too, but no HE rounds)

maybe the ordinary Rifleman can give up his smokes for handheld flares too

very hard to implement but things including vegetation catching on fire

Other good idea, flares! If I suspect of enemy presence with NVG in a field, I'd use it to blind them! 

As a Marine, I can tell you how I feel the NVGs would be best nerfed, cause let's be honest, they effing rock.

1. Much slower aim down sights, only applicable if you have a red dot

2. No ADS if no red dots are equipped

3. Lack of focus up to about 3 feet in front of you if I remember right, it's either 2 feet or 3. But in order to create an infinite range of focus (which you WANT) there is no focus on objects which are close up, which hampers ADS (reason why it takes longer), it sucks to try and use a compass or a map, for those you often look below the tubes, with a small flashlight, which would completely take your eyes out of NVGs tubes while you look at them.

4. Slower reloading, yes while most people I know with proficiency with firearms can reload with their eyes closed, it's simply not that easy when you are say in the prone, squatting down, leaning on something, etc. you also have less situational awareness as to what is the next magazine you need to draw in a reload.

5. Your eyes won't adjust. If you aren't using NVGs your eyes adapt to the darkness, which helps so much when reloading and using a compass with glow in the dark features.

6. You trip over obstacles like its cool. This is because of the lack of field of view.

7. Lack of field of view, your screen should be cut down to something similar to aiming through a scope, except no peripherals.

8. They bounce around when you run

9. Extra fatigue from batteries and the battery pack with counter weights you must wear on your helmet.

10. Shitty quality of picture.

11. Anyone using infrared lasers does also bloom out the goggles so that everything else is dark around the laser, they are actually really annoying, and tracers are so much better for SA in a firefight.

12. THE SKY IS BEAUTIFUL, seriously, you see thousands more stars and you can see a shooting star like every 3 minutes or so. You may think it's not distracting but I promise you it is.

13. Your muzzle flash self blooms you.

14. At dusk or dawn you get end of evening nautical twilight which is a fancy way of saying, the sky (that is still a tiny bit bright from the sun over the horizon) will make goggles useless if you include the horizon in your field of view)

Here are some things that aren't cons, that are commonly listed

1. No, modern NVGs aren't made useless by bright lights, it doesn't blind you, the NVGs have an automatic bright control or ABC. Now there is some blooming, which reduces what you can see around say an enemy with a flashlight pointing your way ;)

2. Honestly that's the only one I wanted to address.

Pros with a flashlight

1. Enemy muzzle flash is a lot more obvious against a dark background, so this helps your peripheral game.

2. Blooms out goggles when looking at the enemy player.

3. Excellent for CQB

4. Can still aim down sights, albeit iron sights are friggin useless at night. But in a bright room (soft light reflecting off of your flashlight will come off the walls and light up your iron sights, but this won't happen outdoors.

5.close up, flashlights will blind enemies even in near day light. It's actually beneficial to be looking through goggles which will automatically adjust what you see to a level that won't blind you. But if you aren't using NVGs, the bright flashlights will confuse the crap out of you, especially if they strobe. This will be a considerable advantage at dusk. Or dawn.

Hope my insight has helped!

I second this, nothing really hampers your ability to see in NVGs anymore, bright lights have a halo effect in a small area around them, which you can't see through, but it's not that bad.

I second this, nothing really hampers your ability to see in NVGs anymore, bright lights have a halo effect in a small area around them, which you can't see through, but it's not that bad.

I guess literally all of my sets were just shit, then. I remember them being utterly useless on post because of street lights in the bazaar, everything past about 50 meters in that direction was washed out to shit. 

so what do the devs say...about the nightbision...i think the probability of no comes from the following obvious idea of people asking about suppressors 

yeah ?