Hi, forum

This is my first post, I tried to search for topics like this one but did not really find anything, so I went ahead and made a thread.

First off i really like the role of binoculars in the game, as I mostly play medic, it gives me a role out of combat.

-Is it an "alpha-issue" that binocular vision is just a "zoomed" view? 
I would like to see through a hole or an oval, as it looks in real life, with bad periphial vision - it shouldnt be too hard to implement either.

- I would like a distance recorder / laser on the binoculars!
(maybe just the SL's, or if a Sniper-team role is ever implemented, for the spotter to have good binoculars, with distance measurement.) 

-Will there be zooming on snipers? I have only tried the SVD, but I think it's a pretty weak zoom... personally I have an 2-8x scope just for playing hardball, so it should be possible to zoom more, and hopefully also change the zoom. also a fun mechanic for snipers to have to do a little tweaking when putting people to rest.

-The grenade launchers, or even sniper scopes should be able to be changed - to fire on different ranges (by rolling your mouse 3) to correct for bullet/grenade drop. I haven't felt any ballistics too much in the game(if at all), and honestly I don't know how much they effect real life shooting, but I think it would add to the fun, and its not like one wouldn't have the time to change the sights before enganging an FOB fx. This would also give the laser/distance viewer a nice role in-game, and enforce communication further.

thanks for reading :)

As for the binos, yes that's an Alpha thing that will definitely be changed later. I don't know if the devs have said anything about rangefinders, but now that you bring it up, that would be pretty cool!

Dunno about scopes and zooming, they are very early placeholders right now and will be changed a lot throughout development.

As for dialing in sights, that doesn't really matter right now; nothing is zeroed. But yes soon (learn to take "soon" lightly around here), you will be able to actually use hash marks and the like on weapons. But there are ballistics in game, though most engagements are close enough that you don't really get a feel of it. I'd recommend trying hitting the 600 yard target on the range. Even with a scope, it's quite difficult, and it's even cooler when you have a tracer and you watch it arch through the air. :)

They aren't sniper rifles man, they're marksman rifles. They aren't meant to have super zoom that forces you 9375702747 kilometers away from the squad. Besides, while it is true that you can mount a PKS-07 to an SVD, they're a lot more commonly found with PSO-1s.

As for the other 2, that's a hell yeah.

All of your points will be included or improved upon as time goes on. It's early in development, there's so many systems that need to be put in place still.

I mean, technically the PSO-1 does come in higher magnification versions, including 6x and going as high as 8x, I think.  That said, I don't know what is standard fare for Russian Army marksmen.  The regular 4x scope might be the realistic option, as much as I would like to see at least the 6x PSO used instead. 

Pretty sure PSO-1s are 4x24. The 6-8x magnifications probably copies and adaptations from other countries.

You can stick 12.7mm HMG sights to your SVDs cos of the dovetail mount of course, but why tho

Pretty sure PSO-1s are 4x24. The 6-8x magnifications probably copies and adaptations from other countries.

You can stick 12.7mm HMG sights to your SVDs cos of the dovetail mount of course, but why tho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSO-1#Specifications

This is the only source I have, so take it with a grain of salt, but it lists multiple variations of the PSO-1 in Russian use. 

All of your points will be included or improved upon as time goes on. It's early in development, there's so many systems that need to be put in place still.

thanks for the answer! sounds great.

I can't wait for those binoculars to work properly and have the ability to change my zoom manually with my mouse wheel since I always get nauseous within 30s when using them due to the low field of view.

First of all let me say that I agree with your idea that launchers (both grenade and rocket) should be adjustable, but I disagree when it comes to scopes because most military optics have some sort of stadiometric range finder built into them that allows you to tell range on the fly and use markings (be they mil dots or other) to make the shots at longer ranges. Unless you're Travis Haley in an 800m firefight you're not going to be cranking on those dials to adjust your scope on the battlefield because that's just not how war works.

I'd also like to address your idea about variable magnification: the Squad devs at some point are going to add scopes that, in real life, have variable magnification, and when they do that I hope they also add variable magnification scopes that can be zoomed in and out using the mouse wheel. That being said, the PSO scope used by almost everyone is only x4 and should not be adjustable under any circumstances.

8 minutes ago, VarenykySupreme said:

I'd also like to address your idea about variable magnification: the Squad devs at some point are going to add scopes that, in real life, have variable magnification, and when they do that I hope they also add variable magnification scopes that can be zoomed in and out using the mouse wheel. That being said, the PSO scope used by almost everyone is only x4 and should not be adjustable under any circumstances.

Yep, no more low to high instantly.

Because they are not supposed to engage enemy on great distance. They are not supposed to engage enemy at all. That's why they have sidearms.

Binos give them ability to be used as observers and spotters. It's good, because they have another reason to not engage the enemy.

Fuck the logic.

Edited by ZiGreen

Iron sights are too far from face...i cant see the front sight...bring the ak`s closer to an eye(or enlarge it)...please.(perfect ironsights are in RO2...insurgency also good)

Yea, I would second the post above me and have more granular irons. Facing against a bunch of Red-Dot US with my AK sights surprisingly challenging as they have no effort involved in target acquisition. However, the M4 irons are pretty "bulky" and I think the Battlefield series had a nice balance when it came to Iron sights.

1 hour ago, Dr.Quick said:

Iron sights are too far from face...i cant see the front sight...bring the ak`s closer to an eye(or enlarge it)...please.(perfect ironsights are in RO2...insurgency also good)

I've talked to the devs about this before and it seems to me like they might be doing something about it.

53 minutes ago, VarenykySupreme said:

I've talked to the devs about this before and it seems to me like they might be doing something about it.

As long as its realistic its fine by me. If a military has deficient iron sights as a default, so be it. Obiously IRL you have a better FOV, so the Iron sights dont feel as far as represented in the game, even if the model is accurate.

36 minutes ago, LMR Sahara said:

As long as its realistic its fine by me. If a military has deficient iron sights as a default, so be it. Obiously IRL you have a better FOV, so the Iron sights dont feel as far as represented in the game, even if the model is accurate.

No, the iron sights in game are a piss poor example of both AK and AR iron sights. On both firearms the placement of the face on the stock is too far back which results in an improper sight picture that makes it harder than necessary to hit your target, and it's especially noticeable on the AK. Here's a picture that's a bit closer to what the AK's iron sights are supposed to look like. I say closer because the camera is still a bit far back, which is a problem that I caused because, well, taking a picture one handed isn't exactly easy. The iron sights on the AK aren't built for accuracy but they can hit a man sized target out at 100m easily, but in game the only way to really use the sights would be to look over them, acquire your target, and then move your sights onto the target. As for the M4A1 and M4, it looks like the devs decided not to try and recreate the diopter sight and instead went with the 0-2 night sight, which is a horrible sight regardless of the time of day you're fighting. 

^Whoa that's pretty harsh... I like using the 0-2 night sight because of the increased FOV... Screw accuracy I'm only out at the range to shoot bullets and pretend to be an 31337 Operator.

20 minutes ago, VarenykySupreme said:

No, the iron sights in game are a piss poor example of both AK and AR iron sights. On both firearms the placement of the face on the stock is too far back which results in an improper sight picture that makes it harder than necessary to hit your target, and it's especially noticeable on the AK. Here's a picture that's a bit closer to what the AK's iron sights are supposed to look like. I say closer because the camera is still a bit far back, which is a problem that I caused because, well, taking a picture one handed isn't exactly easy. The iron sights on the AK aren't built for accuracy but they can hit a man sized target out at 100m easily, but in game the only way to really use the sights would be to look over them, acquire your target, and then move your sights onto the target. As for the M4A1 and M4, it looks like the devs decided not to try and recreate the diopter sight and instead went with the 0-2 night sight, which is a horrible sight regardless of the time of day you're fighting. 

It's the way the sights are rendered in game that makes them ironically lopsided. AK sight are too "precise" compared to RL, and aperture sight on the M4 is cringe-worthy. They're both "solid" sights, while the blur that occurs naturally because of eye focus should really thing the aperture sight and make the ak sight really tough on the eye.

As for the AK accuracy. I qualified on my Marksmanship course at 250m during my time. It's precise enough. But the round and system are as much at fault than the sights.

42 minutes ago, KTMR29 said:

It's the way the sights are rendered in game that makes them ironically lopsided. AK sight are too "precise" compared to RL, and aperture sight on the M4 is cringe-worthy. They're both "solid" sights, while the blur that occurs naturally because of eye focus should really thing the aperture sight and make the ak sight really tough on the eye.

As for the AK accuracy. I qualified on my Marksmanship course at 250m during my time. It's precise enough. But the round and system are as much at fault than the sights.

The thing is that's it not like a blurring and transparency effects aren't something they can't add to the game to make sights more proper and realistic. Even if they don't feel like doing that, widening the sights is a better though unrealistic option than using the 0-2 night sight for the M4A1 and just having an unusable and unrealistic AK sight.

My point is that the AK's sights in game are a massive problem because it stops the rifle from being as effective as it really is. The distance of the eye from the sight makes aiming harder than it is in real life and therefore makes it harder to hit targets out at longer ranges. 

5 minutes ago, VarenykySupreme said:

The thing is that's it not like a blurring and transparency effects aren't something they can't add to the game to make sights more proper and realistic. Even if they don't feel like doing that, widening the sights is a better though unrealistic option than using the 0-2 night sight for the M4A1 and just having an unusable and unrealistic AK sight.

My point is that the AK's sights in game are a massive problem because it stops the rifle from being as effective as it really is. The distance of the eye from the sight makes aiming harder than it is in real life and therefore makes it harder to hit targets out at longer ranges. 

In all fairness, I have a much easier time with the AK than with an M4 in game anyway and that is way more unrealistic than the innacurate representation of the AK sight picture.

Well that's not a problem actually, most fights in Squad are really close combat, so the AK should shine, it's an open sight, and it allows very fast acquisition. The problem is that I can use the AK sights to hit people that are 400+ m away (tracers) sky-lining.