Sign in to follow this  
MusicNote

IDEA: New prone mechanic (Max Payne 3/Metal Gear Solid V style))

I think it would be great if Squad handled prone differently than most other shooters.

http://imgur.com/a/eenTa

Allot of FPS games on the market had problems with player models' legs clipping through walls.

Rainbow Six siege resolved this by having the player switch positions when his legs get close to wall (feet forward),but I think squad can try something new that you don't see in any other fps.

Games like Max Payne 3 and Metal Gear Solid V had an interesting way of handling prone.

When looking around,your torso rotates,and your legs stay right where they are. Your view will be sideways when turning to your sides and you'll elevate yourself slightly when turning around. If you're prone and your feet go too close to a wall,your character will change positions,putting his feet in front of him.

A rolling mechanic would be nice too. Arma 2 players had to roll to put out flames on their uniform in the event they catch on fire. Very useful after an ied explosion.

You're speaking of supine positioning for shooting. It's actually taught to law enforcement and military.There's more advanced supine positions which are more so taught within special operations units, which require twists,turns etc But the standard Infantry within the military are taught the basic supine positions.

we need this,      

and the free look ;)

yeah we need this and a software that can consolidate two and more USB keyboards on our pc, as

a single pc keyboard does not have enough buttons to be able to play ARMA ;)

I think it's preferable to use this suggested prone system but I'm unsure of the animation pipeline for Squad.

If they did implement it there are other areas of animation in-game that could potentially benefit from a similar system, like riding on vehicles for example.

I searched the forum for another suggestion about the prone system and didnt find any mention about the following issue :

When you are prone, you can turn 360° with no speed penalty. In other words, I can turn 360° at same speed if I'm standing up or prone.

Even if the prone system is improved later, may I suggest to add a speed penalty when you begin to turn > 45/60° left or right -as IRL you have to move your body too. Yes you could roll, supine... but if you choose just to turn and stay in the same position, it should incur a speed penalty if you trun above 45/60° L or R.

Thx for reading.

I searched the forum for another suggestion about the prone system and didnt find any mention about the following issue :

When you are prone, you can turn 360° with no speed penalty. In other words, I can turn 360° at same speed if I'm standing up or prone.

Even if the prone system is improved later, may I suggest to add a speed penalty when you begin to turn > 45/60° left or right -as IRL you have to move your body too. Yes you could roll, supine... but if you choose just to turn and stay in the same position, it should incur a speed penalty if you trun above 45/60° L or R.

Thx for reading.

With this prone system I suggested,you wouldn't have a speed penalty as you're just rolling your torso to the side to aim at whats behind you (as opposed to completely changing the direction your legs are facing).

With this prone system I suggested,you wouldn't have a speed penalty as you're just rolling your torso to the side to aim at whats behind you (as opposed to completely changing the direction your legs are facing).

Try doing this in real life... Lol

Definitely should be a penalty

Glad to see others are thinking along these lines.

For ease, at least -- though the Arma 3 one is better in the realism dept. -- I again like how Insurgency handled this. You can only turn at ~ 45 degrees to the left or right before your view just stops -- if you want to turn more then you have to strafe-crawl to reposition your body. It forces you to move when you are prone and you want to get a better look left or right, rather than being able to stay in that one perfect corner and look around from it.

Arma 3 is an amazing game, but at the cost of being very complex.

What made PR so unique was how it managed to capture what felt like realistic and authentic gameplay through very simplistic gameplay. It didnt need hundreds of keybinds and a learningcurve steep enough to probably place it in the same geology as EVE online.

1 minute ago, Attackmack said:

Arma 3 is an amazing game, but at the cost of being very complex.

What made PR so unique was how it managed to capture what felt like realistic and authentic gameplay through very simplistic gameplay. It didnt need hundreds of keybinds and a learningcurve steep enough to probably place it in the same geology as EVE online.

PR is nowhere near EVE

15 hours ago, trotskygrad said:

PR is nowhere near EVE

He was comparing complexity and learning curve between Arma and PR, and how ARMA is almost as complex as EVE.

And I totally agree with him. The reason I played a ton of PR and just about 20 hours of Arma is because PR is easy to pick-up. The gameplay mechanics are simple and straightforward, the keybindings are kept to a minimum and the overall complexity is low.

I played EVE for 5 years and streamed it :D It took me 2 attempts to get into that game due to the learning curve. 1st attempt I was like wtf is this, 2nd attempt just took a few days/week to figure most things out.

As for this topic, all I wish for is that heads and limbs cannot go through walls. Going prone is fine, unless we go the route of using the mouse wheel whilst scoped in to adjust the stance by a small notch up and down.

On 3/10/2016 at 9:12 AM, wobb said:

Glad to see others are thinking along these lines.

For ease, at least -- though the Arma 3 one is better in the realism dept. -- I again like how Insurgency handled this. You can only turn at ~ 45 degrees to the left or right before your view just stops -- if you want to turn more then you have to strafe-crawl to reposition your body. It forces you to move when you are prone and you want to get a better look left or right, rather than being able to stay in that one perfect corner and look around from it.

I liked how Insurgency did it, and I really don't think this game needs anything as overly done as the MGS or Arma systems. Just get rid of the pronecopters and make it impossible to prone on steep hills.